WHAT MAKE OF BATTERY IS BEST FOR ENGEL FRIDGE ?

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
Korsmans
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: HILUX DC2.2L 1994

WHAT MAKE OF BATTERY IS BEST FOR ENGEL FRIDGE ?

Post by Korsmans »

Greetings
Will have a dual battery system installed in the back of my Hilux to run the fridge
WHAT MAKE/TYPE of 105A battery should i buy or insist upon to be reliable....
Please help
Allan K
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Re: WHAT MAKE OF BATTERY IS BEST FOR ENGEL FRIDGE ?

Post by Johan Kriel »

The one with the longest guarantee. :D:

AGM batteries is maybe best fitted for such use, but high cycle also do good, but it also depend how you charge the battery.

Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The "medium cycle" Raylite 102ah "Leisure" battery has worked well for my fridge application. They are very reasonably priced by comparison to most others and if I'm not mistaken you get a 2 yr guarantee.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

I use a 200Ah Lithium battery. It lasts for more than 10 days running 2 fridges. Spend the money and get yourself a Li battery, you will never regret it. It is good for at least 6000 cycles. I use it on a dual battery system in my bakkie with a National Luna intelligent solenoid charger backed up with a solar panel. It weighs a fraction of a lead acid battery as well. Remember that a lead acid battery's characteristics are very different with Voltage reducing during use in contrast to a Li battery where V stays constant during use.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Lithium is great, HOWEVER, it is significantly more expensive upfront, but probably in terms of rands/cycle, slightly better value for money than Lead Acid/AGM/whatever. You also need to invest significantly more in your charging infrastructure (intelligent DC-DC chargers etc). I recently changed my old lead acid setup with a CTek D250S DC-DC and Solar MPPT and a Ctek AC-DC 10 amp to a Victron setup capable of charging lithium.

I needed a Victron Orion Smart 12/12 DC-DC, a Victron Smart 12/7 AC-DC, a Victron Smart Solar MPPT 100/20 and a Revov Second Life 100 Ah battery. All in, it probably cost around 20 k.

If you stay lead acid you can buy a solenoid and battery for less than 4k total.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"

Return to “Alternative Energy”