Solar regulator question

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system
Club VHF Licence: HC 141

Solar regulator question

Post by ronnie »

I am hoping one of the slim manne can help me here. I am using a 20A Phocos solar regulator at home for some load shed lighting and I notice that with up to 18/19V from the panel my regulator is charging about 14.7V when measured across the battery terminals. That all seems fine to me...

Then I recently bought a 20A ACDC solar regulator for a caravan solar charging setup but I now notice that it seems to be charging at 15.1V to 15.2V when measured at the battery terminals. That seems a bit high for me.

Am I worried about nothing or is that charging voltage too high and will I damage my battery.

Thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Solar regulator question

Post by Mud Dog »

I wouldn't be too worried, Ronnie. Yes, it's a bit high but it depends on the battery state of charge. If the battery is low then I would ignore it, but if the battery is full and it's still delivering 15V, then I would be concerned about the future life of the battery.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system

Post by ronnie »

Thanks Andy....battery came with the caravan and looks rather old so that may be a contributing factor. Maybe I should take my newer deep cycle I use for load shedding and hook it up to see what the charging voltage is
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Agree with Andy; if that is indeed the case then it is a pretty nice regulator.

The D250S does 14.1 V at the terminals @ 20V input.
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by ronnie »

Ok thanks...I was worried I will "cook" my battery at such a high charging voltage.

I hope it is fine as it because it was very well priced too at 4x4 Direct
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Ronnie do you have a photo of the unit ?

May well be the same as the unit I chucked out a few months back .... Also an ACDC unit.

The charge voltage was simply just too high, and would not drop back to the 13,8V idling voltage.....

Replaced it with a Victron unit. Charge volts gradually increase up to 14,5V, then drops to 13,8V idling voltage.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Ronnie.
That sound to high for my liking.You are welcome to swap it out if you are not happy.
Maybe just test it with another charger. Charge your battery full with a 220v charger. Let the battery stand for a hour or 2. Then connect the ACDC again.If you still get the 15volts than rather come and swap it out for another unit or something else.
I am not always on the forum so if I do not respond here please email me at george at 4x4direct.co.za or pm me
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

15v is too high - take it back to George.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by ronnie »

Ok thanks guys for all the input. I think I will rather play it safe and go and get another Phocos from 4x4 Direct in its place. Don't want to risk damaging a battery for a regulator that costs a little bit less. George - I will come around on Saturday.

Just hope I don't leave with a whole lot of other stuff as usual :)
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

THAT is aftersale service !!!!
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by ronnie »

Bulletjie-3 wrote:THAT is aftersale service !!!!
You are spot on. I did not even approach 4x4 Direct about this as I wanted to just get some views on whether the charging voltage was too high. George just volunteered that I can bring it back for a swap out.

That is why I keep supporting them; you don't see this very often any more

Return to “Alternative Energy”