PowerMaster Inverter Generator for use during loadshedding

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
Houkswyn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Parow
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 4X4

PowerMaster Inverter Generator for use during loadshedding

Post by Houkswyn »

Loadshedding is really starting to irritate me now. A 3 year old and a 3 month old baby and loadshedding isnt a fun combination.

I recently found out about inverter generators and was wondering if that isnt a viable source of power during loadshedding.

It apparantly has a pure sinewave inverter.

You can buy a PowerMaster 1.2kva unit at Brights for R3999. That should be able to power a tv, decoder and a PC.

2.5 and 3.5kva also available but then the price goes up to R7k and R9k.

I was wondering if this inverter generator could then also power some led light strips on a seperate circuit around the house in key areas?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: PowerMaster Inverter Generator for use during loadsheddi

Post by CasKru »

1.2kVa will give you about 980w of useable power max
To God be the glory
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

LED Light Strips works on 12 volt, you do not need an inverter for that, just hook it up on a 12 volt battery.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Hi Ettienne

We have just completed our 12V installation. :)

We considered MANY options !! Even bought a 2,4kVA genny in February this year. Turns out the rating is based on the American 60Hz, not our 50Hz, and then the difference between kVA and the actuall kW we use .... thus the "2,4" is closer to 1,8kW !! :slap: :shock2:

10 liter jerry can did about 4 load sheds .... thats roughly R30 for every 2 hours.

You still some camping light to see what you are doing when getting the genny going ....

The classic 2,4 unit is NOT quiet !!!!! I felt very bad about running it at odd hours ....

And it is NOT something my wife would start up on her own - this is what got me looking further.

The generator you are refering to is what we called the silent genny for many years. The honda version is a legend and has many dedicated fans .... NO STOCK, and if you pre-order you are looking at more than R13k!! YES, that is R 13 000 for an under 1kW silent genny !!

Not sure to what extent Honda had been ripping us all these years, or to what extent the Brights genny will last .... Though I HAVE noted just how quickly that pile of gennies are walking out the door !!!!!!

With that 1kW you could consider running:
- 0,2kW for your dstv setup
- 0,18kW for your PC (FORGET about printing as the printer spikes over 1kW)
- run a few leads for bed lamps

Things you wont be able to run:
- microwave
- kettle
- none of your bigger appliances

The BIG drawback is that as long as you run leads it is sort of okay .... and a damn pain. Now try to fix those leads down to make it easier to operate and you have now technically done a permanent installation and need to apply to council to legally "install" your generator .... YES, we actually have a client that got fined last week for an illegal generator installation - illegal only because he had not applied.

Today we are spoilt for choice to place PV panels on the roof and to put up a battery bank, auto switching yada yada .... THIS is ILLEGAL in the Western Cape !! Or rather, you need to read here about the hoops to jump through when doing this -
http://goingsolar.co.za/solar-grid-tie- ... th-africa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
also read this - ONE house changed legally thus far -
http://mg.co.za/article/2015-03-26-sun- ... s-monopoly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gent in Kuilsriver is not totally stuffed - spent over R100k to virtually get off the grid - pv panels, batteries, inverters, etc. Somebody called Council - he has a nice letter in which he must either apply to become an SSEG, OR he has to disconnect his entire installation ..... still not sure if the equipment he used has the correct certification, so applying to become an SSEG may well NOT be an option. So he has just peed away a LOT of money !!!! Hoping he does not get one mother of a fine for his efforts ....

Your next legal option is to do a stand-alone system (NOT tied into your house wiring), which is what I did here:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=39044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=38337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cost spirally just over R12k - but I oversized the wiring, bought the best inverter I could get hold of etc etc ... completely legal, even got a registered electrician to do the final inspection and wiring last night.
Houkswyn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Houkswyn »

Dankie, Chris. Ek het julle threads mooi dop gehou die afgelope tyd.

So dit lyk vir my ek moet maar `n battery, `n charger en baie LED strips kry, `n manier om die ligte aan en af te skakel, en dan baie draad trek in die dak :twisted:

Die tv ens kan maar eers wag. Ek dink beligting is die belangrikste op die oomblik.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ek en George het nou invertertjies gekry wat ideaal vir die TV gaan werk, of vir een of twee rekenaars.

Is 'n invertertjie wat sy eie laaier het en self oorskakel as die krag afgaan en hy gebruik eksterne batterye.
Met 'n 20A laaier kan jy maklik 2x 105Ah batterye aan hom haak wat jou oorgenoeg poeier gaan gee om deur die 2 ure van TVloosheid te kom.

My 12 Volt bayonet en inskroef lampe word Dinsdag gestuur en behoort dus 2 Junie hier te wees.
Ek het 'n ruk terug bestel maar toe stuur die manne vir my verkeerde ligte.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Houkswyn wrote:Dankie, Chris. Ek het julle threads mooi dop gehou die afgelope tyd.

So dit lyk vir my ek moet maar `n battery, `n charger en baie LED strips kry, `n manier om die ligte aan en af te skakel, en dan baie draad trek in die dak :twisted:

Die tv ens kan maar eers wag. Ek dink beligting is die belangrikste op die oomblik.

Ettienne jy is WELKOM om te kyk na wat ek gedoen het.

Hier was baie "trial and errorr" - en ek is SEKER die volgende ou sal dit beter kan doen. Ek HOOP die threads help n paar manne om minder skool geld te betaal.
Willem01
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: het nie 1 nie

Post by Willem01 »

pietpetoors wrote:Ek en George het nou invertertjies gekry wat ideaal vir die TV gaan werk, of vir een of twee rekenaars.

Is 'n invertertjie wat sy eie laaier het en self oorskakel as die krag afgaan en hy gebruik eksterne batterye.
Piet hoe lyk daai inverter se specs,,gee bietjie n link of n picha
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi WIllem

Dit gaan die een wees
Die prys gaan so by die R1500 wees vir 700w.

So al wat jy nodig gaan he is n lekker groot battery en jy is gesort vir load shedding :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

george wrote:Hi WIllem

Dit gaan die een wees

So al wat jy nodig gaan he is n lekker groot battery en jy is gesort vir load shedding :thumbup:
al vraag wat oorbly - wanneer het jy voorraad ??????? :siffler:

Weet van n hele paar manne wat gaan tou-staan vir die meneer !!!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

ChrisF wrote:
george wrote:Hi WIllem

Dit gaan die een wees

al vraag wat oorbly - wanneer het jy voorraad ??????? :siffler:

Weet van n hele paar manne wat gaan tou-staan vir die meneer !!!
Hopelik by Dinsdag.Maar kom ons se maar Woensdag.Ongelukkig gaan hulle eers groter eenhede eers in Junie hier wees.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

You can buy a PowerMaster 1.2kva unit at Brights for R3999. That should be able to power a tv, decoder and a PC.

I would have you'd mention steriliser, breast pumps, etc. - so of the two kids which one uses the PC the most?
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Does that include a battery Tumelo?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

pietpetoors wrote:Does that include a battery Tumelo?
doubt it ...

and when drawing more than 500W for any period of time a single battery cant last ! Even if it does last for the load shed you are so far past its 50% SOC that the battery life is drastically reduced.
Houkswyn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Houkswyn »

Donkey wrote:You can buy a PowerMaster 1.2kva unit at Brights for R3999. That should be able to power a tv, decoder and a PC.

I would have you'd mention steriliser, breast pumps, etc. - so of the two kids which one uses the PC the most?

Well... the steriliser goes in the microwave.... We always have some sterilised bottles available. Worst case I can use gas to boil the bottles to sterilise them.

My pc is used as a plex media server which streams movies to a plex client on an android tv box which is connected to my tv. The 3 year old loves her disney movies ALOT :smile: :smile:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Etienne Brights got in about 100 generators PER STORE. 90% sold out in about 2 weeks !!

and these are the cheaper chinese variants ....

now either we are worried for nothing and the wave forms are okay - OR - there will be hundreds of damaged tv's and computers ....

and as you KNOW, with all the load shedding we have been having those gennies are being WORKED.
Houkswyn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Houkswyn »

Yes, it might take a while before the electronics start to pack up or blow up. And I'm not considering generators anymore.

I personally think the 12v batteries and pure sinewave inverter method is more slick, and will see how I can go that route. Need to get some cash to buy all the components.

For now I only want a loadshedding solution,and not a solution to get off the grid. :thumbup:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

My loadshedding solution is working great... 1 x 2500w pure sinewave inverter with built-in charger, with 1x 105amp deep cycle battery connected.

I'm happily running 2 DSTV decoders, a few lights(LEDs) and a LED TV...

Here's the inverter from 4x4 Direct:
http://www.4x4direct.co.za/solar-power- ... p-1531.htm
Houkswyn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Houkswyn »

Where do you guys put the inverter and batteries?

Ideally I would want to put these things in the garage and wire from there?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Exactly... mine is installed in the garage, with wiring via the ceiling. I hate crawling around in the roof cavity!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

mine is also in the garage.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I tested a Mecer 1200 kva inverter tonight . It has auto switchover and built in 10A battery charger.

Was ultra easy to connect. Just attach the supplied cables to the inverter, then to the battery, plug it in and you are ready to go.
(You will need a no 8 and No 14 spanner)
It has 3x 3pin sockets on the top, so you don't need any funny plugs, use the standard 3 pin plugs.

The supplied cables even fit our 105Ah batteries with studs.

I had my one PC with 23" screen, one laser printer, one inkjet/scanner and one DSTV decoder on the line.
I switched on the TV every now and then just to see if the inverter will take the load since it is one of them old TVs. My aim was to see how long my computer will run so I did not keep the TV on for longer than a minute at a time.
I also printed several pages on the HP Laser to see if the inverter can take the load and it did. It is a small P1102 Laser.

It is now 2 and 10 minutes hours later and the battery is still sitting at 12.1 Volt. The battery indicator on the inverter dropped from 4 bars to 3 bars in these 2 hours.

I am sure it will run for another 2 hours, but I will test that another day.
I am happy that it will easily outlast load shedding if you use it to power a PC or TV, maybe even both. Will do that test later.

Only negative thing is, it has a fan that is running all the time. It is not something you will leave next to your PC all the time. You will have to install it in the garage and run cables to your PC or TV, like most guys already indicated they do.

O ja, we will be selling these in our shop, there should be one left in stock on Thursday and next week we get another ten.
Batteries we always have plenty of.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

I tested a Mecer 1200 kva inverter tonight . It has auto switchover and built in 10A battery charger.
So for R1495 you get a inverter and 10 amp charger.What a bargain.
You are going to pay that amount for a BX2 or even more for a Victron charger.

We should advertise it as a charger and you get an inverter for free :celebrate:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

george wrote:
So for R1495 you get a inverter and 10 amp charger.What a bargain.
You are going to pay that amount for a BX2 or even more for a Victron charger.

We should advertise it as a charger and you get an inverter for free :celebrate:
but I want an inverter ....

can I get the charger for free ... :surrender: :mocking: :tease:

George this may sound strange - but you me by now - is it possible to connect the unit to eskom, and the load to it WITHOUT a battery ???

During a loadshed I can then just connect this inverter to my existing battery with a brad harison to open the garage door ..... easy enough to open a 5,7x2,5m door ... need a short ladder to reach it to close it again ...
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Hi Chris.
No it does not look like it. I connected it to the mains without a battery and it does not switch on
Warrior
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 08 Vigo 4x4 d/c 4.0L auto
Club VHF Licence: X138

Post by Warrior »

Sien julle more oggend vir n load shed buster :surrender:

En more aand :twisted:
KZTE Nut
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE DC 4x2

Post by KZTE Nut »

Hi Gents

Remember the Mecer unit is a modified sine-wave output. Some inverters like Victron are true sine-wave inverters. The true sine-wave inverters are more expensive due to the extra technology/extra components. BTW the same applies for UPS's, that they are also available in modified sine-wave and true sine-wave variants. True sine-wave is supposedly "kinder" to electronics.

See Mecer spec sheet for the 1200 and 2400 VA inverters.
http://www.comx-computers.co.za/downloa ... r_2400.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

KZTE Nut wrote:Hi Gents

Remember the Mecer unit is a modified sine-wave output. Some inverters like Victron are true sine-wave inverters. The true sine-wave inverters are more expensive due to the extra technology/extra components. BTW the same applies for UPS's, that they are also available in modified sine-wave and true sine-wave variants. True sine-wave is supposedly "kinder" to electronics.

See Mecer spec sheet for the 1200 and 2400 VA inverters.
http://www.comx-computers.co.za/downloa ... r_2400.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I could not get stock of the Victron, thus bought Mean Well - http://www.meanwell.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here you are looking at over R 2 000 for a 4ooW inverter ! EINA.

and then you only get an inverter an need another 1 to 2k for a quality charger .....

it get really expensive to buy the top of the line.

the question is - do we need Hilux quality or will the tata get the job done ... :subscribed:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

george wrote:Hi Chris.
No it does not look like it. I connected it to the mains without a battery and it does not switch on
bummer ... :slap:

my 1kVA UPS vir die garage deur gaan nou deur 2x7AH batterye elke 6 maande ....
Houkswyn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Houkswyn »

Hierdie inverter sal mooi lyk teen `n muur...

http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/RCT-RCT-A ... -91890.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maar kom teen `n prys :twisted:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Houkswyn wrote:Hierdie inverter sal mooi lyk teen `n muur...

http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/RCT-RCT-A ... -91890.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sien bladsy 9 in die Burger vandag.

als mooi en wettig tot hy kom by solar panele bysit - dan MOET jy aansoek doen by Stad Kaapstad .....
Houkswyn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Houkswyn »

ChrisF wrote:

als mooi en wettig tot hy kom by solar panele bysit - dan MOET jy aansoek doen by Stad Kaapstad .....

Ja mens kan net nie wen nie. :thumbdown:

Gelukkig moet ek eers nog begin met die 12v ligte soos jy gedoen het. Maar ek moet `n charger ook kry, wat beteken ek moet dalk in elkgeval `n inverter met charger oorweeg.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Houkswyn wrote:
ChrisF wrote:

Ja mens kan net nie wen nie. :thumbdown:

Gelukkig moet ek eers nog begin met die 12v ligte soos jy gedoen het. Maar ek moet `n charger ook kry, wat beteken ek moet dalk in elkgeval `n inverter met charger oorweeg.

Een van die redes hoekom ek my stelsel so opgebou het was juis die laaier ....

Meeste van die bi-directional inverters (inverter met n laair) het n hoë laai stroom. :naah:

Die Mezer se 10A charger is BAKGAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cooldude: :cooldude:

Ek glo DIE eenheid is een van die beste waarde vir geld opsies wat ek nog gesien het :thumbup:

Sou graag hoor wat Eric se osiliskoop dink van die eenheid ..... :subscribed:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

pietpetoors wrote:Does that include a battery Tumelo?
Was being naughty, Pieter :mocking: :tease:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

You can if the need rise flick the switch over to 20amps.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

george wrote:
which would be absolutely ideal for the company trying to keep 4 to 6 pc's going for a load shed - rig up 2x100Ah batteries in parallel, and flick over to 20A charging.

Let's not forget - MECER has been in the pc game for many many years .... one could reasonably expect them to have ensured that their output waves are good enough for pc's ....
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

ChrisF wrote:
george wrote:
which would be absolutely ideal for the company trying to keep 4 to 6 pc's going for a load shed - rig up 2x100Ah batteries in parallel, and flick over to 20A charging.

Let's not forget - MECER has been in the pc game for many many years .... one could reasonably expect them to have ensured that their output waves are good enough for pc's ....
They actually don't need to be very good at all. Just stable. A pc power supply will be converting that blocky signal to DC anyway. Open up a old pc power supply and have a look at the size of those capacitors. They do a really good job of filtering. Even the most of the new HF switchmode power supplies are happy with a blocky signal. As long as that signal is stable at round ~230V. The mecer has the following specs: 230Vac ±10%

HF supplies (like the one of powering your dstv decoder and the new generation LED tv's) are usually fine with about that. But not all.

My samsung series 7 led tv isn't happy on a apc ups (650cs and a 1100) while being powered by a big 102ah battery. It turns on and everything but does not display the dstv output. It wants a pure sine wave. But everything else is fine.

If you want to deterime how bad/blocky your sine wave signal is. Look at the THD (total harmonic distortion).
Pure sine wave = +-2%
APC ups = +-30-40%

The mecer does not give its THD but the apc ones you can look up online.
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

Electrical newbie here.

I recently acquired a genny. At our local adendorff / tools / machinery mart.

Tradepower 5.5kw AVR petrol single cylinder etc etc.

Besides geysers and stove I can run everything in the house, albeit it not all at once, yes I'm looking at you kettle/microwave/dishwasher.

Mostly running lights, LED's and a small number of lightsavers, including 2 fridges dstv plasma tv and surround sound etc. Of the more power hungry appliances, it does boil the kettle, or SWAMBO uses her hairdryer after a shower, I checked, 2200w without hassles.

My question is this, in light of the last couple of replies concerning pc's and their power supplies converting to 12V dc. How safe is it to use my pc on the genny? The voltage regulator should keep things in check. But I am running a bit of an expensive pc, power supply is a very recent model fully modular, cooler master silent pro M2 1000w http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply ... -m2-1000w/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but alas it only draws as much as required by internal components. So basically idles between 100-150w, not sure on max draw but that should be close to 800-950w. With added 3 24" LED monitors.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Reinhardt a generator starts with a pure sine wave :)

The potential issues with a generator evolves around the voltage regulation - the AVR unit of the genny.

The way I understand it is that these units (on low cost gennies) have a slight delay in dealing with ON/OFF loads. For instance the kettle draws a fair amount of amps, then instantly stops ... the genny keeps on pumping out that power, and the voltage shoots up for an instant, until the AVR re-adjusts .... the better the AVR the faster the reaction and the less the voltage fluctuations.

What I did with my 2,4 gennie was to permanently connect a 60W incandescent bulb to ensure a steady load. And APPARENTLY these resistive loads assist to smooth the spikes.

here are others on this forum more qualified to answer on gennies. Hopefully they will correct me if needed :)
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

Hi Chris
I just tested the Meccer unit again. When connect the AC it does give out AC power.The LCD display just dont light up.Thats why I thought it did not work.
Hi Chris.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by george »

I have started a new topic here for our inverters

viewtopic.php?f=170&t=39192
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

ChrisF wrote:Reinhardt a generator starts with a pure sine wave :)

The potential issues with a generator evolves around the voltage regulation - the AVR unit of the genny.

The way I understand it is that these units (on low cost gennies) have a slight delay in dealing with ON/OFF loads. For instance the kettle draws a fair amount of amps, then instantly stops ... the genny keeps on pumping out that power, and the voltage shoots up for an instant, until the AVR re-adjusts .... the better the AVR the faster the reaction and the less the voltage fluctuations.

What I did with my 2,4 gennie was to permanently connect a 60W incandescent bulb to ensure a steady load. And APPARENTLY these resistive loads assist to smooth the spikes.

here are others on this forum more qualified to answer on gennies. Hopefully they will correct me if needed :)
Hi Chris. So basically, lets assume I'm running the 2 fridges, lights, tv and dstv. No kettle or hair dryer. The draw from the genny will be to a degree quite constant. As such I'm not running the risk of voltages spiking too much. Coupled with the pure sign wave, my pc should be fine?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Reinart21 wrote:
ChrisF wrote:Reinhardt a generator starts with a pure sine wave :)

Hi Chris. So basically, lets assume I'm running the 2 fridges, lights, tv and dstv. No kettle or hair dryer. The draw from the genny will be to a degree quite constant. As such I'm not running the risk of voltages spiking too much. Coupled with the pure sign wave, my pc should be fine?
The fridges cause hefty spikes when they start and stop ....

each gennie will deal with this differently.

HOW will you connect all these devices ? PLEASE dont use a "suicide lead" .... it has EARNED its name - suicide lead !
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

At the moment not in the correct way. A 4mm cable from genny to the plug that is closest to the DB, from there into DB with mains, earth leakage, stove, and geysers off, supplying the rest of the plugs and lights breakers from there. I have gotten a quote form a sparky this week to do a connection for the genny on the outside of the building where my prepaid meter sits. According to him nothing is changed on the DB. But at the prepaid meter he installs a switchover between genny and eskom power. From there you just switch of the geysor and stove at the mains. start the genny and do the switchover. Any suggestions? Sparky asks 3.5k for the installation to connect genny in this way. The switch itself is the expensive part, R1350.00.
Last edited by Reinart21 on Fri May 29, 2015 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Reinart21 wrote:At the moment not in the correct way. A 4mm cable from genny to the plug that is closest to the DB, from there into DB with mains, earth leakage, stove, and geysers off, supplying the rest of the plugs and lights breakers from there. I have gotten a quote form a sparky this week to do a connection for the genny on the outside of the building where my prepaid meter sits. According to him nothing is changed on the DB. But at the prepaid meter he installs a switchover between genny and eskom power. From there you just switch of the geysor and stove at the mains. start the genny and do the switchover. Any suggestions? Sparky asks 3.5k for the installation to connect genny in this way. The switch itself is the expensive part, R1200.00.
I got a quote of about R5k for something similar, except I would then get another board to switch off the non-essentials. YES, those switches cost a pretty penny.
KZTE Nut
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE DC 4x2

Post by KZTE Nut »

ChrisF wrote:
george wrote:Hi Chris.
bummer ... :slap:

my 1kVA UPS vir die garage deur gaan nou deur 2x7AH batterye elke 6 maande ....
Howdy Chris

Check that the UPS you have has low voltage cut-out. i.e when the battery voltage gets too low when running on battery the unit should switch off to stop damage to the battery by excessive draining.

Secondly I had to chuck out an APC UPS as it was putting too high a voltage charge onto the batteries. I realized this as the batteries were always getting "fur" around their terminals within a few weeks. I checked voltage and there was 28.9 V. Should be about 27.6 (13.8 x 2). So check what the voltage is across the batteries while it is connected to the mains just in case your UPS is over charging the batteries !

I also have a small UPS for the garage door motor. This unit is "baie slim" as it switches itself off after a few minutes once it detects there is no (or very small) load and thus the batteries don't get killed. If the UPS is in this "OFF" mode and the missus wants to open the garage then she just needs to power it off on the front panel and then back on again and then the garage door is operational until the UPS switches itself off giving her enough time to exit and close the garage door. Obviously if she comes home, and there is still load shedding, then she wont be able to open the garage door ! So I need to to set up a remote to be able to bounce the UPS on again... :crazy:
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Reinart21 »

ChrisF wrote:
I got a quote of about R5k for something similar, except I would then get another board to switch off the non-essentials. YES, those switches cost a pretty penny.
Would you suggest the extra DB?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Reinart21 wrote:
ChrisF wrote:
Would you suggest the extra DB?
the options are absolutely endless !!

was speaking to a friend earlier today about this very topic. Should we build a new house now it would be done VERY differently than in the past !!! Especially in terms of electrical layout.

Every room already has a number of plugs - but which of these do you NEED during a load shed. One can now take a step back and design a new room to be generator/inverter ready, complete with dual DB's ...

Converting an existing home varies from a schelp to near impossible. :slap:

Only your sparky will be able to advise you what is practical for YOUR situation.
Houkswyn
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: PowerMaster Inverter Generator for use during loadshedding

Post by Houkswyn »

To revive an old thread...

In the end i bought 1 of these: http://microcare.co.za/pure-sine-wave-1kw-ups/

Its living in the garage and I have leads going into the roof and out the ceiling to the lounge to run the dstv, tv, amp and a light, the open plan area for the pc and router and a light, and 3 bedrooms just for bedside lights.

The inverter fan only comes on when it is charging the batteries.

And now that the installation is complete there is no loadshedding! ;-)

Total cost came to R11.5K
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: PowerMaster Inverter Generator for use during loadshedding

Post by ChrisF »

Ettiene I attended a 2 day seminar with the guys from MicroCare.

I LOVE their equipment !!!

Been waiting for MONTHS now to set up a vendor account with them :(

Return to “Alternative Energy”