12V Lights

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 12V Lights

Post by Mud Dog »

Yes, lithium ion battery. Cannot remember how many mAh, but they last the whole night on full brightness, even when you have an occasional overcast day. However I did find that if you have more than 3 overcast / rainy days in succession, they shut down at about 3.30 / 4.00 am during the night. To my mind, that's a crucial time which is statistically also one of the peak home invasion periods, so I use the medium bright setting with full bright on motion detection, which easily lasts the whole night even in winter with shorter charging periods.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Those are nice Andy. Where did you get them, and how much were they?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I got them on line .... wasn't "Takealot", think it was "Snatcher" or "One Deal a Day". Think they were on special at R699 each at the time but I've never seen that price repeated. Seen them since at R799 lowest since then and normal price about R1200 each. If I'm not mistaken, they had a deal this past week again ... will look and let you know.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Looks like the deal is still on .... you might be lucky .....

https://onedealaday.co.za/deals/watsixs ... UifQ%3D%3D

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thanks, but looks like I missed it. I'm going to keep my eyes open for something similar though.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Peter. I've seen an ad for the same thing with minor cosmetic differences, different manufacturer. Doesn't give the price, you have to enquire.

https://www.anern.com/Product-detail/So ... ght-ISGL05

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thanks Andy, will look. Not sure if I should be spending money on non essentials at the moment though. Will have to think a bit before I buy anything. I already have a list the length of my arm for when my boet visits 4x4 direct in Brackenfell again
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The deal is available again at R799 per unit ....... https://onedealaday.co.za/deals/sistywa ... UifQ%3D%3D

dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Eish, thanks for the link Andy, but I will have to pass for now, until I earn some money again. At least, I have managed to line up a bit of work, but will only see the cash end of the month. They are nice though, and very tempted to sell a kidney.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanx Andy, that is a very good price.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I was walking around outside last night just doing a general check during the wind and thought about this thread when thinking about how much outside solar light I have.

The green circles and arrow show where I have the units mounted that are mentioned above .....
20200610_202404.jpg
20200610_202440.jpg
20200610_222602.jpg
20200610_222602.jpg (31.34 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
Should give a fair idea how much light they give on a medium setting.

Every bit of lighting (even in the house) is solar except for the one light in the first pic at the bottom of the side driveway (one of two at my workshop and are the only two 220V lights that I run on a regular basis - and they will be replaced with solar in the next week or two).

All pics were taken with a cellphone and no flash.

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

The solar lights are noce, I love the idea that you just screw them on a wall and they work, no wiring or anything. Makes it much easier to light up your area.
What is also awesome about some of them is the day / night function, so after you installed it you forget about them, they just go on and off and you never have to do anything again.

One of my little solar lights are now going for its 5th year and it is still going. I am surpriced that the batteries are still good.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “Alternative Energy”