No more need for diving cylinders when diving

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

No more need for diving cylinders when diving

Post by pietpetoors »

Saw this interesting invention at
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 72871.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Being able to breathe underwater has long been a fascination for mankind, but the bulky oxygen tanks and face masks take some of the romance out of it.
They could soon no longer be needed however, thanks to the creation of the "Aquaman Crystal", or to use its proper name, "[{(bpbp)Co2II(NO3)}2(NH2bdc)](NO3)2 * 2H2O".

Just a spoonful of the crystal can absorb all the oxygen from a room.

The material is able to store the gas at a much higher concentration than oxygen tanks, meaning it would be far smaller and lighter to carry, and can slowly release oxygen when put under a small amount of heat.

Professor Christine McKenzie said the crystal could be valuable for lung cancer patients who must carry heavy tanks around with them, but "also divers may one day be able to leave the oxygen tanks at home and instead get oxygen from this material as it 'filters' and concentrates oxygen from surrounding air or water."

"A few grains contain enough oxygen for one breath, and as the material can absorb oxygen from the water around the diver and supply the diver with it, the diver will not need to bring more than these few grains," she added.

"When the substance is saturated with oxygen, it can be compared to an oxygen tank containing pure oxygen under pressure - the difference is that this material can hold three times as much oxygen."

The "Aquaman Crystal" is sponge-like in consistency and uses cobalt bound in an organic molecule, getting its nickname from the DC comic book character that can swim underwater.

"Cobalt gives the new material precisely the molecular and electronic structure that enables it to absorb oxygen from its surroundings," McKenzie said. "Small amounts of metals are essential for the absorption of oxygen, so actually it is not entirely surprising to see this effect in our new material."

Scientists are now looking at whether the release of oxygen can be triggered by light, though at this stage the crystal is difficult to synthesize in large amounts due to its complex chemical formula.

Update: A representative for Syddansk University has issued a revised estimate of the compound's efficiency. They told Vice in a statement: "I am just updating our story on our website, because it turns out that Prf McKenzie made a calculation error. Pls note that it is not a SPOONFUL of this stuff, that we need to rid a room of oxygen. It is a bucket (10 litres). We apologize."

The material can however draw oxygen from water just as easily as from air, so it remains an interesting proposition for the future of underwater diving.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Re: No more need for diving cylinders when diving

Post by Froll »

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Groterige verskil tussen 'n emmer vol en 'n teelepel vol, maar dit klink nogals baie interresant...

Imagine jy plaas so 'n emmer in 'n vol parlements sitting...
Ai, 'n man kan net droom.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Imagine what it can do for your Hilux's performance if you hook a small container of those oxygen enriched crystals to the inlet manifold.
I see far more uses for it that breathing.

Yes, if you leave a bucket full of that in a room I guess it can also suck life out of the people in the room, even extinguish fires.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
louis fourie
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Oupa Stig wrote:
Imagine jy plaas so 'n emmer in 'n vol parlements sitting...
Ai, 'n man kan net droom.
Nie nodig nie, daar is al klaar genoeg wind:o
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Louis, ons wil JUIS van die polticians en hul wind ontslae raak! Daai emmertjie vol doepa sal mooi werk om als op te suig...
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
louis fourie
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Oupa Stig wrote:Louis, ons wil JUIS van die polticians en hul wind ontslae raak! Daai emmertjie vol doepa sal mooi werk om als op te suig...
Ek verstaan....beveg panser met panser en wind met wind:twisted:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

mmmmmh, is daar nie seker parrasiete wat sonder suurstof kan lewe nie?
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Natuurlik is daar, maar dit sal interesant wees om te sien hoe daai goed teen die
suurstof diewe gaan kompeteer vir daai bietjie suurstof(en ander gasse ;-) in daai gebou? :twisted: :twisted:

Return to “Alternative Energy”