Green ideas

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Green ideas

Post by Mud Dog »

Still a bit labour intensive, but a lot less so than many of the other common methods .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aLZ88_DZz8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could also use your garden debris, like leaves - the Lord knows I have tons of that from all the trees (I fill a 25kg grain bag every day in autumn)!
Combine that with something like this .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IRLVCJ1olA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hmmmmm ..... :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Re: Green ideas

Post by Mud Dog »

This is fascinating ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKmYqUSDch8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... and this also!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0vycQ06a04" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

http://energimart.co.za/product/acdc-retrofit-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this one may well be a game changer ....

SO MANY applications where a solar WATER panel cant be used, where this will work PERFECTLY ....
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

It's a great idea Chris, but it wouldn't work that well for me .... don't know how many others might have a similar usage pattern, but my daughter (when she's here) and myself shower / bath at night and the wife baths in the mornings. That means that our geyser draw would be mostly after dark and the solar would be mostly wasted unless we used a way of storing the daytime power production - that puts us back to expensive batteries or using Eskom as the 'battery'.

It therefore makes more sense for me to go the panel & inverter route with Eskom 'battery'. With this setup even a single panel providing full daylight period benefit will make a huge difference, in my case even more so than the two panels with your suggested setup. Without the extra goodies and one less panel cost set off against the inverter and wave rectifier needed, the overall cost would probably be less as well. :think:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Interesting concept ........

http://www.nextworldtv.com/videos/energ ... power.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Saw something on Fb where some guys somewhere in Europe now use compost heaps to heat household water.
Concept very simple, simply spiral your pipe through the compost heap, with only moving part being a small pump to get the water to the tap.

The pics are a bit deceptive though: once you look closer you realise the compost heap is contained in a circular wall of weldmesh about seven to eight foot high and 4 to 5m in diameter.
Which is a LOT of compost...
And of course it only lasts for a year or two.

But I still think it's a great idea, with some additional business potential, selling compost to your neighbours and giving them someplace to dispose of their garden and fresh kitchen cuttings...
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Not so sure about that Mickey. My dad always had a compost heap at the back of the yard. You could push your hand in it, it was nice and warm but did not burn your hand at all. I guess it must have been 40 degrees or less.
Might heat it up a little bit but not much.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Hehehe, ja, the fb compost heap was HUGE.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Impressive, I'd say!

http://www.gizmag.com/audi-creates-e-di ... co2/37130/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Alternative Energy”