Tesla going to open their patents

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Tesla going to open their patents

Post by pietpetoors »

Elon Musk, co-founder and CEO of Tesla, wants more manufacturers to develop electric cars. He announced in June that his company would open up Tesla's patents to all, suspending enforcement of the patents.

In his blog post dated June 12, he wrote that "Our true competition is not the small trickle of non-Tesla electric cars being produced, but rather the enormous flood of gasoline cars pouring out of the world's factories every day."

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Re: Tesla going to open their patents

Post by Agteros »

Interesting.
I've been travelling Norway the past 3 weeks or so and took this pic of the Tesla in Oslo. Look at the electrical cable plugged in at the back of the car. BTW these Tesla's look very nice cars.
Attachments
DSC_10793.jpg
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

Electric BMW - also in Oslo
Attachments
DSC_0746.jpg
DSC_0745.jpg
2020 FJ Cruiser
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

Nissan plugged in....they provide free electricity at the roadside.
Attachments
IMG_3324.jpg
2020 FJ Cruiser
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Those Teslas are awesome. Nether saw one, only read about them. That is one car I would love to own.

In China and Thailand there are many cities who are converting their public transport busses to electric.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Imagine that setup in SA, you will have hundreds of people around each charging point, some powering their juke boxes, others powering food stalls, ........................ and then another will come along and steal the charging point to sell as scrap metal :naah: :laugh2:
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

pietpetoors wrote:
Imagine that setup in SA, you will have hundreds of people around each charging point, some powering their juke boxes, others powering food stalls, ........................ and then another will come along and steal the charging point to sell as scrap metal :naah: :laugh2:
Hehe yes, but in South Africa we don't have a reliable electricity supply remember so it won't work in any case.
2020 FJ Cruiser
Mossienel
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Hilux 2011 2.5d4d DC 4x4

Post by Mossienel »

Daai kopper draad gan mos nie lank hou hier in SA nie. Die cargaurd sal dit sekek leen om sy iPhone te charge. :lol::lol::lol:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Do yourself a favour and go read the features of this car, it is mouth watering.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I was impressed with the specs of these vehicles five years ago (roadster) but they're even more impressive now! :thumbup: The one thing that I wonder about is why they haven't incorporated photo-voltaic cell panels somewhere on the upward facing panels. This would extend the range of the vehicle a little, reduce charging times and save electricity costs - the car would charge up on it's own during the day while parked. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Good point Andy, I always wonder the same.

Imagine something like an electric bus, you can do the whole roof with solar panels.

Guess on the Tesla on a 85Kw battery a solar panel will not mean much.

Also imagine, you can run two pipes (one on each side) from the front to the back of the vehicle with nice big air intake at the front. Inside the pipe you can add a couple of small generators powered by wind.
The outlet at the back can look like an exhaust pipe.

I guess these guys have done their maths to see how much you can really gain.

Return to “Alternative Energy”