Alterative Fuels

Here we discuss various alternative energy solutions. From converting your car to electricity to converting your home to be off the grid.
Garp
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40 4x4

Alterative Fuels

Post by Garp »

Hi all

We have a new Hilux 4x4 Legend 4.0l Auto, which we took to Lesotho last week… The problem is they only have Diesel and Paraffin at the pumps! So I’m just wondering what fuel is safe to use…. I’ve heard you can use Diesel, which is actually good for the engine (though I very much have my doubts about that) luckily we had a 20L Jerry, which was enough to get back to SA and fill up with some proper Unleaded 93. So the question is…. If we are in the middle of no where, what’s safe to use.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Alterative Fuels

Post by CasKru »

Welcome to the forum Phillip. If I am not mistaken your engine is supposed to run on 95 only. In the old days if you by accident filled your car with Diesel you would still have been able to drive it but with lot's of smoke. The newer highly refined engines will probably get damaged by doing this. m2cw
To God be the glory
Garp

Post by Garp »

Hi CasKru

Thanks for the reply, (and the Welcome!) I thought as much about the Diesel... My main concern is what to do in an emergency... leave the car and find the proper fuel?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

In an emergency it might work but how far ou are going to get before the filters etc block up....
To God be the glory
Garp

Post by Garp »

Yeah, I suppose thats a concern for most people when going outside of your "home"
VETTIE
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: secunda
Vehicle: Hilux DC D4D 4x4

Post by VETTIE »

hi guys,
as far as i know, with the newer models with injectors and more high tech motors, i dont think your motor
will be able to run on pure diesel. well if you see you wo'nt make it, you might add a couple a liters of diesel, but not too
much. better still, carry a jerry or two. might save you big time in the end.
Skilpad4X4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota kzte

Post by Skilpad4X4 »

Hi guys for me I will use parrafin it is thinner than diesel and have a higher ignition
Frontier 320
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Isuzu KB320

Post by Frontier 320 »

Thanks for the info, As my van has a drinking problem so now I know if I ever take the trip there which I almost done last year, will have to take extra fuel..
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

This is interesting from a fuel efficiency point of view, but the problem still remains that if you run to lean you can burn valves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkS5XImyguE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNm9vRidAsk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Philip,

Have you got a long range tank fitted? If not, I recommend you look into fitting one. It's adds another 60L capacity of the 80L standard tank. It is fitted above the spare wheel under the load bin. You just have to close your eyes when filling up the tank... 140L!!!

Mr B
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Skilpad4X4 wrote:Hi guys for me I will use parrafin it is thinner than diesel and have a higher ignition
Parrafin burns hotter than diesel and you do not want to see what pistons look like that has been run on Parra!!! will see if i can find the photo of what my pistons looked like. ( 2.8 isuzu diesel engine with 60k on the clock )
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Welcome to the forum.

We love traveling long distance, with a 2,5 diesel Hilux. We OFTEN end in small towns that are out of fuel !!!!!! Actually scary that in these modern times there are so many places with unreliable fuel supply - granted these shortages were all experienced over prime long weekend periods ....

If you are going to travel you MUST have a long range tank or at least 2 jerry cans to make it to the next town.

AND, if you go through a town and you KNOW you have enough fuel "to make" it to the next town - FILL UP !! You DONT know if the next town will have fuel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

make peace with this reality and enjoy your travels :)

PS - and no I wont use other fuel in a petrol vehicle.

Return to “Alternative Energy”