Maizeys connect-its for a draw sliding system

Members' DIY projects
stalmaat
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: KZTE 4X4 DC 2003

Maizeys connect-its for a draw sliding system

Post by stalmaat »

In 2007 Whitters showed pictures of a draw sliding system that he had made using the connect-it joints for 25 mm square tubing that are sold by Maizeys. The beauty of the idea was that you dont have to do aluminium welding: the whole thing pushes together.

I am interested in something similar and had a look at the local Maizeys today. I discovered that the joints are actually some sort of plastic and am wondering whether this is strong enough for the sort of tensions in the back of a bakkie with a load.

Does anyone have experience with these connecters? Do they last? The photographs show that Whitters used a pop rivet to strenghten the attachment of the tubing to the joint. Is that a better idea than the indentation for which Maizey sell a special tool.

Another point. His slide tray was made of 50 mm angle Al. But it is not clear how that was held together. Any suggestions for a non-welder?

Attached are some of the pics that Whitter showed: I understand he left for Oz.

Thanks guys

Stalmaat and his 2001 KZTE
Draw Sliding System by Whitters 2007.doc
(100 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Re: Maizeys connect-its for a draw sliding system

Post by Niel »

Siep, welcome to the forum and enjoy it here :thumbup:

Make sure if you use hollow tube that the corners fit the inside of the tube. I had to grind some of it away to fit. It is strong (imho) and the poprivets will do the trick. They also sell a "krimper tool" at maizeys that is designed to work with the corners.
Petroholic
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 92 hilux d/c 4x4

Re: Maizeys connect-its for a draw sliding system

Post by Petroholic »

Hi

U could get the same stuff at builders warehouse in gezina!
These corners are aluminium and not plastic!

Return to “Build your own:”