Members' DIY projects
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Radiator Pressure Tester

Post by Scooter »

So I decided on my way home yesterday that dragging my lux to the closest Silverton radiator for a pressure test was a no go as it would put me right in the middle of rush hour traffic to get home and that is not a nice thing.

So thinking about the pressure testers I used to use and the ones that are freely available on the market, albeit for enormous amounts of money, I decide that it wouldn’t take much to make one of my own.

I quickly thought about it and decided the best place to start would be with an old radiator cap. Well I threw my old one out a while ago and Murphy always plays a part in these things and he definitely had the last laugh here.

Moving on to the connections, I thought how best to attach a radiator cap to a pump??? And then will it work???
Well, I am happy to announce that should you feel the need to follow this self build and make your own, you will be pleasantly surprised that indeed it does work and very well I might add.

What you will need:
1 x bicycle pump @ R0 (I used one I had lying around the house, but they are cheap)
1 x Radiator cap @ R40 (Midas)
1 x 1/8 x ¼ M/M Nipple @ R24.39 (Builders warehouse, pneumatic section)
1 x ¼ x 1/8 M/F Reducer @ R19.39 (Builders warehouse, pneumatic section)
1 x ¼ F Connector @ R37.69 (Builders warehouse, pneumatic section, 2 in box)
1 x 15mm P2 Flat washer
1 x 15mm P2 O-Ring
3 x Small Hose clamps
1 x 8mm x 10mm Long Fuel hose
1 x M8 Bolt cut short
1 x 9.5mm Drill bit
Drill machine
Side cutters / Pliers
14mm Spanner
Screw driver / Socket to tighten hose clamps.
Water pump pliers

Right, now to the nitty gritty and the fun part.

Step 1: Take the Radiator cap over to your bench drill or vice and clamp the cap firmly, making sure you don’t bend it, with the spring side facing up.

Step 2: Using pliers or screw driver, remove the plastic top, rubber washer, metal cap and small spring that will follow. This allows you to see the copper centre pin.

Step 3: Now use the 9.5mm drill bit to drill out the copper centre, being careful not to damage the cap. You will need to use the water pump pliers to hold the spring arrangement as it will spin as you drill.

Step 4: Once you have drilled it out, the main spring can be removed and you will be left with the cap, a bronze/copper washer, large rubber gasket and another s/steel washer which all need to be kept in good nick. Remember which way the washers fit together or you wont get a good seal again.

Step 5: Take the 1/8 x ¼ Nipple, place the 15mm flat washer over the 1/8mm side.
Step 6: Screw the nipple in to the hole on the radiator cap
Step 7: Place the 3 original radiator washers (copper, rubber and steel) over the 1/8 side (where they were in the first place.
Step 8: Now use the ¼ x 1/8 reducer to tighten us everything, being careful no to tighten too much as you will bend the cap.
You should now have a radiator cap that looks something like mine and one that will seal on the radiator.

Step 9: Next, use the ¼ connector and connect it to the end of the bicycle pump hose, using a hose clamp to clamp it tight. Place the 15mm O-ring inside the connector, as an extra seal when connecting to the radiator cap. My bicycle pump has a gauge on it already but you could install one if yours doesn’t.

Step 10: Now take the length of 8mm pipe, place the M8 short cut bolt in one end and secure with hose clamp. This will be used to block off the over flow of the radiator.

Now you HOME-MADE pressure tester is ready for testing.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Scooter

Radiator Pressure Tester

Post by Scooter »

To test:

Step 1: Remove the radiator cap.

Step 2: Remove the clamp and hose from the overflow @ the radiator end.

Step 3: Place the open end of the 8mm pipe on to the over flow and tighten using hose clamp.

Step 4: Secure the pressure radiator cap on to the radiator.

Step 5: Attach the pump to the radiator cap. I found hand tight worked fine but a tweak might be necessary.

Step 6: Now give the pump a few pushes, it shouldn’t take to many.

Step 7: Make sure you don’t go over 20 Psi / 120 Kpa (bar) or you will pop a pipe and create more leaks. I went to 18 Psi and it was fine. Feel the top rad hose for harness as it is a good indicator as to how much pressure you have put into the system.

Step 8: If you new cap seals properly, you shouldn’t get a leak there and you will be able to find the bugging leak.

Step 9: Find the leak, replace or repair the leak.

Step 10: Re-test the system to check for any other leaks, repair if necessary.

Step 11: To remove the pressure from the system, just release the pump from the cap.

Step 12: Remove the pressure cap and top up water / anti freeze.

Step 13: Remember to re-fit the over flow and not leave it blocked off.

Step 14: Have a cold beer and say to yourself you did good.

You could re-design this idea to use a quick connector but I felt that spending an extra R140 on a connector was not worth it and this system works great.
It will last for years to come I’m sure, and can be adapted to suit any radiator cap.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Scooter

Re: Radiator Pressure Tester

Post by Scooter »

Appologies if some of the photos are out of focus, I dont know why, but my camera wouldn't focus properly on such small pieces. :crazy: :crazy:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Well done on an excellent idea and great cost savings for us guys!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I will be building one for myself and add it to my expedition kit in the back of my Hilux.

:wink:
Johan Marais
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Nice Job Scott :thumbup:

Saved yourself a dew Bucks there nê :P

watch out... you might have a few visitors..... "can you please just pressure test my Lux Bru!"

Thanks for posting :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Scooter wrote:Appologies if some of the photos are out of focus, I dont know why, but my camera wouldn't focus properly on such small pieces. :crazy: :crazy:
I'll solve the riddle, please refer to step 14:

How much beer? :lol:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

snipes wrote:
Scooter wrote:Appologies if some of the photos are out of focus, I dont know why, but my camera wouldn't focus properly on such small pieces. :crazy: :crazy:
I'll solve the riddle, please refer to step 14:

How much beer? :lol:
Well spotted Bretton!!! :thumbup: :clap: :lol: :lol:
Johan Marais
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

It's difficult to hold a beer in one hand and take a decent pic with the other! :twisted:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Thanks guys.

I tried the timer on the camera and that just didnt work, so balancing the lens on top of the bottle and trying to drink at the same time, obviously doesn't work. :shock:

I don't know if radiator places charge for pressure testing, but I reckon the cost of the bits was still cheaper than if I had driven to have it checked. 4y consumption you know. :lol:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Scott have you EFi'd her yet?

B
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Dude, I was just thinking this morning that the next thing is to look at the engine.
If Im gonna do it, Ill go all the way and I reckon Ill dump a 2.7 in her. Over the years of having her, I haven't had any trouble with the carb other than consumption. And that wont change with EFI on this old motor anyway.

So for now, she is fine and believe me SWAMBO is happy Im not stripping motors in her bathroom judt yet :lol: :shock:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Scooter wrote:SWAMBO is happy Im not stripping motors in her bathroom judt yet :lol: :shock:
Kitchen mate, kitchen :!: :lol:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Many years ago, a friend of mines dad, rebuilt his BMW engine in their flat lounge! SWAMBO was not happy!

Return to “Build your own:”