Dual Battery Question

Members' DIY projects
fly4x4
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Dual Battery Question

Post by fly4x4 »

Hello all,
Just checking if anybody out there has the same thoughts as me. A while back I installed my own dual battery system into my Hilux D4D, it works like a charm and have done several trips running the Engel and have had no problems. I stayed away from the auto solenoid switching as I have heard some stories about there reliability, this was merely a personal preference.
My system has a manual switch in the veichle and I have become so used to it and I know it will operate when I flick the switch.

The question I have is when the aux battery is not getting used, ie. using the car for every day use, is there any harm in coupling the two batteries for normal starts, would this not keep the aux battery active and save wear on your main battery. btw. my aux battery is just behind the main one. I have also noticed that when the solenoid is operating it tends to get quite warm, is this normal due to the current.

Any thoughts, own experiences or advice would be great.

Cheers
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Dual Battery Question

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Fine to use it daily for starting if it's a Normal Cranking Battery the same rating as your vehicles battery :wink:

Not a good idea if it's a "Leisure Battery" (deep cycle battery) :shock:

I'm also a fan of Manual Switching, as long as it's a good quality Marine Switch. :thumbup:
fly4x4
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by fly4x4 »

Hi Dadz,Thanks for the feedback, will keep checking the battery to make sure it stays healthy :thumbup:
Knersus
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 2.4 Hi Lux 4x4 DC 95'
Club VHF Licence: ZS3EP

Post by Knersus »

The manual switch will work fine and as long if you remember to disconnect the switch when you use the aux battery then you will have no problem to drain the main battery down. On the other hand the solinoid will get warm when it is activated. As dads toy said you should just see what kind of aux batt is used .
Eben Pienaar
2.4 Hi Lux 22R 95'
Codan HF radio; Kenwood VHF Hi band; Tait VHF midband; Snorkel; OME suspension; Diff lock on next shortlist. Dis lekker om 'n mens te wees....Jy moet net 'n lekker mens wees

Return to “Build your own:”