Need urgent advice

Members' DIY projects
Flippa
Town: Kuruman
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D-E

Need urgent advice

Post by Flippa »

pm

Hi guys. I need your honest advice. My single cab 3.0D-E 4x4's 5L engine gave out on life. 500 000km on clock. Engine has seized up. Now I have options, some more reachable than other.
1) Recon, or get reconned engine. R55 000 minimum. I do not have that kind of money.
2) I can get a second hand 2L, under 65 000 km for R25 000. Would such a conversion work?
3) sell the bakkie as is. Everything else works on bakkie, accept fuel gauge and odometer, but it is minor faults. What would I get for it as is?

Thanks in advance for your advice, looking forward to your replies.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Need urgent advice

Post by Family_Dog »

Most likely the cylinder head gasket, this was a problem with 5L engines. There is a Brazilian cylinder head available at a lower price than the original and according to reports, it is a better quality than the original head. Should not break the bank to do that, but if your pistons have seized, then I would suggest looking for a 5L transplant somewhere, much less painful than battling with ECU incompatibility.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

An ECU on the 5L? Nope...The KZ-TE yes, but the L series engines were very basic, manual fuel pump etc.
Last edited by niclemaitre on Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I learn something every day! Thought it must have, did not realise that it was that old.

Still, 500k kms is excellent for that engine, so I still think the best bet is to stick to what the vehicle is designed for.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Any conversion always cost more than you think. I prefer to rebuild my old engine because I know what I have and how I treated it. If you buy a used engine you do not know what the previous owner did to it. Rebuild will always be my first choice.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The old 5L motors were notoriously sluggish and not very fuel efficient. A rebuild is definitely an option but I would also look at replacing it with a Ford WL 2.5lit motor. Now I'm not a Ford fan but those were good motors that outperformed the 5L in both power and economy (later technology). In addition they should be readily available on the 2nd hand market and fairly cheap to source by comparison to a 2nd hand 5L and from what I understand the conversion is not a problematic one.

Just a thought ......
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

The WL 2.5 tdi engine is also a very easy conversion with less changes
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

niclemaitre wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:21 am An ECU on the 5L? Nope...The KZ-TE yes, but the L series engines were very basic, manual fuel pump etc.
ECU on a 5L? Yes sir!

The first 3000D's was the 5L with old school mechanical pump. 3.0 D-E was the same 5L but this time with an electronic pump. Still slow and sluggish but at least now it had a computer!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

We live and learn every day!
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold