Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Hilux

Hilux Camper Build

Post by Tjomma »

Hi All

Greetings and compliments for the new year. May it be blessed beyond your wildest dreams :thumbup:

I have been holding back on this project for far too long. Finally I am on my way to finish my removable camper or the tray back camper ala the ausies

Some might remember the Hilux rebuild that ended like this:
The Lux.jpg
The Lux.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
Its time to fill up the rear. This is the idea:
7d9f91_d052ac0d39834f489a4b4dd6888ffdc6.jpg
And when Im not out on the trails, i just park it:
lift-off-2.jpg
I use my bakkie for work and pleasure, so I need something that is not stuck on the back with camping gear when I need the space to cart stuff.

Instead of building from scracth I started off with buying two of those field service canopies off Gumtree. I was fortunate the seller had single cab and double cab canopies so I bought both. The price was jus to good to ignore. I scored big time on the parts and materials. They looked similar to this:
Example 2.jpg
example 1.jpg
example 1.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
So, after a lot of grinding and cleaning , I got to the bare bones and started working from there. I love the curviture of the design and it fits the Hilux perfectly. I eventually ended up with a bent or curved base to work from, but also added loads more material for my design and purposes.
20171122_173239.jpg
Then it was off to the welders to put everything together.
IMG-20190114-WA0030.jpg
The front
IMG-20190114-WA0028.jpg
The rear
IMG-20190114-WA0031.jpg
I kept it low profile since I still need to add a roof rack.
IMG-20190114-WA0034.jpg
Rear profile

Well, thats where I am at the moment. The next step is to work on the doors. Two gullwing doors and one big rear door is on the menu.

Will keep you posted. :D:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: Hilux Camper Build

Post by JohanM »

Hi Jofre,

I like your idea and this is going to be interesting. Keep the pictures coming !!! Modular and versatile is the new name of the game in 4wd travel.
Johan Marais
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Looking good so far. :thumbup:

There are some camper build threads here and the latest one IIRC was the one that Tony (AKA "Firstgeer") built also using an aluminium field service canopy. Check it out for ideas here https://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/viewto ... er#p496955
:winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tjomma »

Thanks Johan and MD. I have seen Tony's excellent build. Took some notes for sure :cooldude:

Tonight I did some stocktake on the material I have. All from the previous canopy.Should save me some bucks
IMG_20190115_184350.jpg
I have some locks, shocks and hinges with all their fittings. At least I remembered to keep the lock keys :clap:

These are some of the oldfloor parts of the previous canopies as well. Will be recycling that to make the doors.
IMG-20190114-WA0036.jpg
I am spending a lot of time on the prep work before cutting. Measuring twice. My spares are limited, wouldnt want to make mistake and end up have ing to buy more material. Will order flatbars and door rubbers tommorow.

:thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:
Waiting to see how it all unfolds ... or rather comes together. :D:

Yeah, "measure twice and cut once" is a good habit ..... prevents the problem where you've cut for the third time and it's still too short. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tjomma »

Sjoe...its been a while. Apologies for the static. Been out of commission so the project got parked.

Progress is a bit slow ,but in last month or two i got the following going:

The Doors
could not locate a alu welder so I had to look at other options to put my doors together...

Connect Its
Attachments
IMG_20190321_130429.jpg
IMG_20190321_130544.jpg
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tjomma »

Saved me a lot of time and i put it together in a blink
frames completed
frames completed
fitment
fitment
Doors open
Doors open
Last edited by Tjomma on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tjomma »

Also cut out the alu sheet for the doorframes
20190406_103533.jpg
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tjomma »

Cladding
Precut the cladding. Bit of a tricky one this, but I wanted a mono sheet per side.
side sheet
side sheet
Last edited by Tjomma on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tjomma »

Camper Lift Off

Then it was off to a company in George to get the liftoff jacks done. Since im using my trokkie for transporting as well, i needed my camping gear parked when not in use.
Camper on
Camper on
Camper almost off
Camper almost off
camper off
camper off
:cooldude:

This brough about some new challenges in where the liftoff legs attach to the frame, but nothing that cant be overcome.
chuffed :D:
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Looks great so far Jofre.I l really like the idea of making a removable camper bin as it makes the vehicle more versatile especially if you need to use it for loading other items.
Just a thought,have you considered maybe using an overhead winch attached to a frame for removing and reloading the camper bin ?
This will eliminate the need for the jack points.

I cannot wait to see your finnished product.
My camper took about two and a half years to build and I am still adding small gadgets to improve the camper.
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tjomma »

Hi Tony

Ja, its also been 2 years (or more :shh: ) in the making and still im adding to the design. Ive also seen your build. Still taking tips off it.
I considered the hanging idea, but i also want to be able to leave my setup at camp and go shopping, daydrives or take the kids to the movies without packing up site. And at home i have space for it out of the way.
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Tjomma »

Just a quick update:

A lot of cut work for the prepping of the frame for welding and then cladding.
Used my old cladding from the original canopy and recut to fit my new one. bit of a schelp and I hope this excercise works. some of the cladding must be bend in a new shape.
Also cut the old tubing for the new inserts to support the cladding. This was a mission. :slap: The canopy has a bent roof and some of the tubing angles inwards. Not a good thing when you know nothing about angles and degrees... :crazy:

So next week, its going in for welding the extra bits and then cladding. :dance1:

Sorry no pics today... they load upside down

Return to “Build your own:”