Members' DIY projects
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

DESIGN - off road trailer - for camping

Post by ChrisF »

Been toying with an idea for a while, and wondering about the practicality .....

WHY do off road trailers look the way they do - square, and high, with the TTT fairly high off the ground ?

Okay, with some the intent is clear - the RTT fold open, another canvas then gets draped to create anything from a small kitchen cover to a massive army tent ..... and the more elaborate the larger the size of the army required to pitch this mini-dorp.

And all the while you have this massive square block you are towing .....

so here is my (not so new) novel idea :

- sturdy off road ready suspension
- LOW body, JUST high enough for a fridge {OR just high enough for an ammo box and the fridge stays in the vehicle}
- couple of slides and drop sides to access the space inside the trailer.
- pull out kitchen, to the BACK
- use the SIDE entry to the clam shell tent, which is now maybe three steps off the ground (nice step behind the wheel and you could get in with a single step)
- SMALL modification to attach an add on tent with only two poles to the back, to create a little room for the kitchen area, to double as a dressing room)

LIGHT weight
Minimal drag
QUICK to setup
and due to the length of the clam shell you will have ample packing space, despite the low height of the setup

Would love to hear from those with trailer experience ... :thumbup:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Re: DESIGN - off road trailer - for camping

Post by JohanM »

Chris,

the trailer market itself is very unique but also very cu throat and marginal profit for those in the manufacturing side. However this is where things do get really interesting as custom trailers and also off road trailers is still an big niche market things with new entrants daily. Not all survive the industry and a lot fade quickly.

With regards to big box, slab side non aerodynamic towing, i have been a while busy with my own design on a rugged full offroad trailer that is compact, light to tow and streamlined. I dont want to have a big trailer behind me, even though the Prado tows a heavy load really well, im aiming for 750KG trailer.

Some things that I have decided and also noticed since starting to design mine.

Kitchen unit and fridge stays in the vehicle. Its more practical as I use the vehicle for days out and short weekends where a trailer and tents ect is not needed. Also nothing worse that going for a long game drive and getting out and the drings are luke warm in high amient temperatures.

Also a trailer is a lot more "jumpy" and much harsher to the contents as a vehicle. Thus the fridge takes a huge hammering and eventually will fail. If you have looked at Andre's latest tv series towing the Jurgens XT 140 you would have noticed that even his model with the more gentle setup in suspension was bouncing a lot behind the Amarok.

Practicality made it that a kitchen is better set up on a trailer, however I have seldom seen people do a lot of preperations on the trailer table that folds out ect. Thus this becomes to me null and void.

I am busy with mine which will end up looking like a slimmed down Jurgens trailer that will run same size wheels and rims with matching offset. Water tank onboard and possibly also a aux fuel tank and possibly 2x 20L jerry cans.

Suspension I am still busy with as leaf springs, live axle and shocks is easiest to set up and it tows really well and easy to fix or make a plan should something go wrong.

Weight should be kept low down with the Centre of gravity being worked out to ensure smooth towing on all roads. Brakes is a must if over 750kg and most braked couplers dont survive the off road dust for to long before starting to wear out, resulting in replacement.

Axles with bearings strong enough to cope and a wide enough bearing cap spacing is very important. Here it becomes a thing of over engineering rather than suffering a failure. Minimum axle rating braked or unbraked is 50mm square 2500kg capacity. Nothing less will stand the time.

Quality Jockey wheel with clamp that facilitate removal is important as to be able to move it around by hand.
Roofracks that is 100mm from the lid for a table slide is in my view a waste. Who still uses these old conference style tables??? I prefer compact, light weight tables that I can pack away.

Trailer is for taking the bulky things and using it as a base for camp.

I would like to say that off all the trailers I have to admit, I like the Jurgens Safari range styling the best and word of mouth has it that it is a very stable tow. So they got it right. Axle is from Al-ko with the new rubber suspension axle. Very few failures from that particular range of axles, and usually the result of overloading it or just plain ignorance or inexperience when towing that sees the axles fail.

I would buy one, but then I still have to change quite a lot on it to match my requirements that I am going to have it sorted out by a close contact rather.

Thus the new years project is to start with a trailer build.

Ps: The trailer industry is currently my game on the manufacturing side. :thumbup:
Johan Marais
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Johan most interesting reply :)

Can see you are in the game and have given it a lot of thought !

Fridge in the vehicle has one more advantage - it is now in an air-conditioned environment and the unit does not have to work as hard.

Okay this does pose another challange .... battery power for the fridge, in the vehicle. BUT one would want some basic power in the trailer for lights as well .... but this is easily solved with a lead and an Anderson plug.

Elders has a good few years left in her, so I have lots of time to think this one through.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Chris,

the fridge in the back of the Prado with the dual aircon is why I went that route. I am still need to route one of the roof outlets to send cool air con air to the fridge area so that it cools there down rapidly instead of cooling the tent and chairs.... :cooldude: Power is an issue and yes a sealed deep cycle is quite a penny, but then again I would keep it there where it is more cool than under the bonnet. Also space is utilised and weight carried on the axle so it all work together. The rear jump seats are in size quite heavy and the frame and fridge fitted (empty)equals approx the same weight. So the load start when I start packing basically. thus the battery will be the first 30kg being carried all the time.

Back to the trailer, I am aiming to have a 100w panel on the roof rack that will power the trailers own battery that will provide camp lightning and charge some of the camera's ect. no heavy loads and during the day it can charge up and just maybe, I might decide to experiment with a refrigerated nose cone as that is where least amount of shock loading is transferred from the tow vehicle or the trailer suspension. So I might play around here with some options. Battery will be mounted in a saddle box to allow ease of access.

With 2 people in the Prado I will be able to fit everything inside it and just keep the last things on a compact roofrack that will carry the jack, gas botlle and a 2nd spare tyre casing. Solar will be in front over the cab area. When travelling with 3 or more pax I would rather opt to tow some small rugged trailer than have a heavy roof load. Thus my starting to look at a possible trailer setup to tow that will be smooth and quiet to tow. almost like it is not there as this make it a lot easier for the driver and vehicle. Fuel consumption should also benefit from being streamlined compared to the boxy shapes out now. Towing will add anything from 10% - 50% more depending on the factors. I am aiming for 10% -15% more when fully laden all round.

Also I am aiming at using the Alko off road coupler and will most likely go for electric brakes (not legal in SA) in order to have maximum braking power even though im only going for 750kg GVM on the trailer. The trailer will be licensed as 750kg GVM. Thus the brakes will just be there to assist when having to do a emergency stop on any terrain, as the braking assistance should reduce stopping distance by approx 10 - 15 meters on a wet or slippery road which could result in hitting something or stopping clear of it. I am very much rather have it an being able to brake the trialer in slippery wet mountian muddy roads than have it push/ pull the vehicle of track.

Some more food for yout thought Chris.... Elders should be able to do you another 10 years of good service before being needed to be replaced, unless you soon decide to buy a Prado so that you and the grandson can travel comfortably..... :boss: :surrender:
Johan Marais
Fanusl
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux Revo DC Auto 4x4

Post by Fanusl »

Chris my yskas is in my Fortuner met 'n uitskuif blad. My ekstra battery is ingebou in dieselfde eenheid as my yskas. So as yskas uit gehaal word kom die battery ook uit. Ry nie permanent saam voor in gebou nie. My sleepwa se krag werk met 'n velengdraad van die kar af. My sonpaneel en uitskuif tafel is in 'n klein roofrack wat ek gemaak het wat op die bestaande relings pas. As ek ry laai die ekstra battery van die motor af en as ek stop werk die sonpaneel. Werk goed vir my. Die manne met die daktente op die voertuig sal daar 'n ander plan moet maak. Wat ek wel agterkom met die kamp sleepwaens is dat daar baie luukshede in gebou word wat nie nodig is nie. Myne het ek die dop laat bou en net die nodigste volgens my behoeftes binne ingerig. Geniet hom baie.
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

Thought I might share my project with you guys. I took me just over a year to complete, at almost R35k. I was just about to tackle the inside (Drawers, Kitchenette etc.) when my wife reminded me of her idea on how to change her kitchen with our home alterations.... Had to sell my pride to cover the expenses for her taste in kitchen. Indeed a very sad day for me :cry: :cry:
Attachments
Pretoria-20130205-00114.jpg
Pretoria-20130205-00113.jpg
Pretoria-20130205-00112.jpg
Pretoria-20121127-00074.jpg
Pretoria-20120610-00233.jpg
Pretoria-20120603-00224.jpg
Pretoria-20120512-00200.jpg
Pretoria-20120506-00195.jpg
Pretoria-20120411-00169.jpg
038.jpg
003.jpg
001.jpg
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Robbie daai was MOOI !!

Glo jy het lang trane gehuil toe jy dit moes verkoop.

Robbie as jy weer een moes bou, sal jy dit weer so hoog bou ?
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Fanusl wrote:Chris my yskas is in my Fortuner met 'n uitskuif blad. My ekstra battery is ingebou in dieselfde eenheid as my yskas. So as yskas uit gehaal word kom die battery ook uit. Ry nie permanent saam voor in gebou nie. My sleepwa se krag werk met 'n velengdraad van die kar af. My sonpaneel en uitskuif tafel is in 'n klein roofrack wat ek gemaak het wat op die bestaande relings pas. As ek ry laai die ekstra battery van die motor af en as ek stop werk die sonpaneel. Werk goed vir my. Die manne met die daktente op die voertuig sal daar 'n ander plan moet maak. Wat ek wel agterkom met die kamp sleepwaens is dat daar baie luukshede in gebou word wat nie nodig is nie. Myne het ek die dop laat bou en net die nodigste volgens my behoeftes binne ingerig. Geniet hom baie.
Fanus ek glo ook so .... en ek wonder of DIT die rede is hoekom ons sulke groot bokse rond-sleep.

Selfs met Elders het ek heeltemaal te veel goed ingebou en ingepak .... met elke trip haal ons nog goed UIT .... :siffler:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

JohanM wrote:...
Some more food for yout thought Chris.... Elders should be able to do you another 10 years of good service before being needed to be replaced, unless you soon decide to buy a Prado so that you and the grandson can travel comfortably..... :boss: :surrender:
Johan for some reason my wife wants to tag along ... :mocking: :siffler:

With a single cab and three people the maths just dont add up .... :naah:

But changing everything for maybe one short trip per year with the little one just dont add up ... For that trip we can then use the car and go B&B or Challette in a park ....

maar mens mag mos dink, en planne maak ..... tot n draad borsel nie help nie ... :twisted:
Fanusl
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux Revo DC Auto 4x4

Post by Fanusl »

Chris jy moet tog gaan kyk no van die amerikaners se ontwerpe. Ek het eendag op utube daarna gaan kyk. Plat met opslaan meganismes. Ongelukkig baie duur maar dalk kan ons daar iets leer.
Bliksempie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria Montana
Vehicle: 2.4 SFA
Club VHF Licence: HC115

Post by Bliksempie »

ChrisF wrote:Robbie daai was MOOI !!

Glo jy het lang trane gehuil toe jy dit moes verkoop.

Robbie as jy weer een moes bou, sal jy dit weer so hoog bou ?
Chris,

Dis nou as ek weer een moet bou. :frustrated: Dit was 'n moerse werk gewees, en my vrou en twee dogtertjies kon nie eintlik van hulp wees nie. Maar ja, ek sou dieselfde hoogte volg. Die RTT asook kombuis area is gerieflike hoogte. Windweerstand ens. was hoofsaaklik gebreek deur sleepvoertuig.
When Life knocks you down, make sure you fall on your back. If you can look up, you can get up

WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Post by WayneSchalk »

Bliksempie wrote:Thought I might share my project with you guys. I took me just over a year to complete, at almost R35k. I was just about to tackle the inside (Drawers, Kitchenette etc.) when my wife reminded me of her idea on how to change her kitchen with our home alterations.... Had to sell my pride to cover the expenses for her taste in kitchen. Indeed a very sad day for me :cry: :cry:
Very nice :thumbup:

One thing I can add, the term "offroad" in front of trailer or caravan implies that it is going to be towed on very rough terrain. So a BIG STRONG A FRAME and CHASSIS is a must. I have been involved in a couple of trailer builds and have come to realise this the hard way.

Yours seem to be right :thumbup:
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

Fanusl wrote:Chris jy moet tog gaan kyk no van die amerikaners se ontwerpe. Ek het eendag op utube daarna gaan kyk. Plat met opslaan meganismes. Ongelukkig baie duur maar dalk kan ons daar iets leer.

Ek sien daai manne hou baie van die ontwerp....
Attachments
wounded-warrior-project-2014-nissan-titan-off-road-trailer.jpg
Step33d.jpg
IMG_2040.jpg
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

Chris, ek gaan die een dop hou!

Ek het die internet al plat gesoek na iets anders as net 'n boks soos jy se. Ek self werk aan 'n plan, wag net vir die "doner trailer" om te kom daan begin ek. :thumbup:
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Wayne, ek het nou dieselfde prentjies geGooGlr as jy. :laugh2:
jsw_double_off_road.jpg
jsw_double_off_road.jpg (15.93 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Chris, as jy nou begin planne maak agv van een Laaitie wat af en toe saam met julle sal gaan, dan moet jy weet hoe voel ek.

Ek het verander van Single na 'n Gesin van VYF !!! :shock2:
Ek wil vandag gaan kyk na 'n Jurgens xt 140....
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

swartvark wrote:Chris, as jy nou begin planne maak agv van een Laaitie wat af en toe saam met julle sal gaan, dan moet jy weet hoe voel ek.

Ek het verander van Single na 'n Gesin van VYF !!! :shock2:
Ek wil vandag gaan kyk na 'n Jurgens xt 140....

hehehe ....

JA, so beplan ons .... and then life happens .....

Maar ek GENIET my garage, so n nuwe projek is altyd welkom :yahoo: :celebrate:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Meeste van die kleintjies soos hierbo is gebaseer op Army Suprlus waens veral in Engeland.

Persoonlik wou ek ook my eie bou, vir 3jaar al, maar die costs opgeweeg en rofweg sou dit my nou omtrent R50k kos sonder 'n tent waar 'n splinternuwe Courage my R66k gekos het plus ek wil nou kamp, nie oor 3 jaar nie. Self lief vir DIY en om goed te bou maar teen die ene besluit. Ek sal my 4ft trailer omskep in iets anders vir 'n lekker projek

Natuurlik is daar al die argumente oor mens se eie ontwerp vs ontwikkeling wat reeds deur 'n vervaardiger gedoen is en so aan, self al deur almal geredeneer. Maak nie saak hoe goed jy beplan nie, daar is altyd iets wat mens wil verander in elk geval. Ek het dus gegeaan vir 'n wa wat redelik basies en klein is met so te se niks binne in nie behalwe die yskas sliders en 'n slide vir ammo bokse wat ek in elk geval sou moes insit. Ek kan nou bylas en vrander soos dit my pas nog steeds, maar ek het 2 jaar gespaar.

Die hoogte en die vierkantige ontwerp pla glad nie,die wa is laer en nouer as my SFA en sleep soos 'n droom self met die 2.4, en ek kry 7km/l. Inteendeel dit vierkantigheid maak dit makliker om mods te doen en te pak ook. Die idee was om iets te hê wat ek kan uitrus met als wat nodig en laat die wa regstaan om so te sê net the hak en te ry.
En ek wil nie my bakkie uitrus met sliders en tent en so aan wat ek heeltyd moet saam ry nie. Ek het nou 2 yskaste, ek gooi net een op die bakkie vir 'n dagreis en op lang toere kan ek al2 vat as ek sou wou.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

My eerste mod na 2 kampe met die wa....laai bokant die yskas
20151015_213816.jpg
20151015_213952.jpg
20151016_082541.jpg
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Stef dankie.
Dzombo4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Legend 35 KZTE

Post by Dzombo4 »

My biggest problem is that I cannot and WILL NOT get up onto a ladder to get into bed. If I need to do that, I will just stick with my RTT.
The word Dzombo is derived from the Tsonga word Dzombolo meaning ‘to wait for something that is slow in coming.
Named after one of the Magnificent Seven, sadly killed by a Poacher Oct 1995 @ 50 years old.
Dzombo1 Ex Army Hard Top TD upgraded to 200 Tdi. Dzombo2 1997 Discovery 300 Tdi.
Dzombo3 2000 Jeep GC Laredo 3.0l Diesel. Dzombo4 2005 Hilux KZTE Legend 35.
ImageImageImageImageImage
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by WayneSchalk »

Dzombo4 wrote:My biggest problem is that I cannot and WILL NOT get up onto a ladder to get into bed. If I need to do that, I will just stick with my RTT.
That is the main reason why my toppie eventually sold is offroad trailer and bought a caravan.

He complained about taking a leak at night was a mission :laugh2:
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Hi All

Camptech in Natal make camping trailers that do not have high RTT on .
I have the on road version ,so i do not know how strong off road version is,however my 2004 trailer is still going strong ,nothing wrong with there quality
perhaps somebody has an off road version and can give more info on them
For my wife and i this is an ideal solution to our camping at caravan parks
It is light has adequate of packing space and bed is comfortable,there is also a small tent under lid that can sleep to children

Martin
Attachments
IMG-20151017-00222.jpg
IMG-20151017-00221.jpg
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Chris, I like to think about new projects and new ideas & will always look at these with a critical eye. I understand that there are those that need to cater for more than just themselves which makes it a neccessity and not a nice to have. I have towed a trailer in the past and it cannot compare to the drive w/o towing.
I have read that the biggest problem with towing is the air that flows over your tow vehicle as this goes over your tow vehicle and is sucked in behind the tow vehicle (that is why the back canopy window & back of your vehicle is always so dusty) forming a whirlwind between the tow vehicle and that of the trailer being towed, thus pushing against the trailer/caravan. This is apparently the big fuel guzzler part of the combination that needs to be sorted out. This has apparently been picked up in wind tunnel tests.
I would think that the only way to bypass this, would be to build a ramp/wing from the tow vehicle to the trailer, which will transport the air from the back of the tow vehicle to the top and over the trailer.
Food for thought and there must be a solution out there somewhere.
Another thought for those that do not want a ladder to get into bed, is for those that have not seen one, the Supra 2 trailer, with the sleeping quarters inside the back of the trailer.
I am looking at a Sherpa Tiny Rough Roader as a stop and camp obtion, but these are expensive for what you get, but avoid the woodrot which is a big problem in conventional caravans. The more canvas you have with any of these trailers/caravans, makes it a job to set up camp, so something to avoid when planning something like this. The monkeys/baboons also use canvas as an easy place of entry to cause havok in your camping area. These are also becomming more of a problem as more people feed them because they are cute and they lose their fear of humans, making them a dangerous contender (both two and four legged variety). Will be watching this space with a lot of interest...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

"That is the main reason why my toppie eventually sold is offroad trailer and bought a caravan.
He complained about taking a leak at night was a mission "

Wayne, had you introduced him to a staysoft bottle he would never have sold his offroad trailer and bought a caravan.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Haboob wrote:"That is the main reason why my toppie eventually sold is offroad trailer and bought a caravan.

Wayne, had you introduced him to a staysoft bottle he would never have sold his offroad trailer and bought a caravan.
I think if one adds a vuvuzela in the setup that could also do the trick.... :mrgreen:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Stef,
As long as no-one sleeps next to the trailer...
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Stef wrote:
Haboob wrote:"That is the main reason why my toppie eventually sold is offroad trailer and bought a caravan.

I think if one adds a vuvuzela in the setup that could also do the trick.... :mrgreen:
and a long hose in between.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!

Return to “Build your own:”