Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Lumina

Recovery Points

Post by Moonunit »

Hi Fellow Hiluxers

I know this topic has been discussed to death and I did some searches on the forum. I have been contemplating making up some recovery points for my SFA, basically doing all the design work and testing. Should it work out then offer them to the forum.

My thinking is cutting M/S plate (Graded S355 - 355 yield strength) 12 mm thick and using existing bolt holes where the chassis meets the bumper and possibly one or 2 new holes through the bumper frame for additional strength. I run my own engineering shop so I have access to profile cutters and press brakes, etc for all the cutting bending and drilling. I was then planning on using 4.5ton or 6ton(marginal price difference) shackles. I have a company that does certified load testing for me, so I would have the first unit load test to ensure its strength. All bolts will be HT8.8 H/D galv and I would have the plates galvanised.

So basically it would be a fully tested unit with all certification if needs be.

Just want to get peoples feeling on something like this, would there be interest?

Did a basic costing, looking at around R1200.00 per set including shackles

(hope this is the correct section for this type of thing?Mods feel free to move it if not)
Huismoeles
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: V8 Disco 1

Re: Recovery Points

Post by Huismoeles »

Net vir die sfa??

Sit n sample foto vir ons op
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Moonunit »

This is basically what I had in mind. Might make it a bit longer for easier access while minimising ground clearance issues.

Will most likely do an SFA first then Vigo. I unfortunately do not have an IFS anymore to do testing on, although I am sure I could speak to 4xLux to see when they will have one on the floor to take measurements.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

If I may make a suggestion.. :think: :think:

Look at doing the ones for the Vigo first because there is a definite lack of sturdy off the shelf recovery solutions for them.

The SFA is easily sorted with the open hook type hooks, which bolt onto the SFA chassis in existing holes at approx R130 a pop, no shackles required..

We find week after week that nobody really knows how to put recovery points onto Vigo/Fortuner without doing serious plastic surgery.. And not everybody wants to do that. If you can solve that problem you are well on your way.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

ThysdJ wrote:If I may make a suggestion.. :think: :think:

Look at doing the ones for the Vigo first because there is a definite lack of sturdy off the shelf recovery solutions for them.

The SFA is easily sorted with the open hook type hooks, which bolt onto the SFA chassis in existing holes at approx R130 a pop, no shackles required..

We find week after week that nobody really knows how to put recovery points onto Vigo/Fortuner without doing serious plastic surgery.. And not everybody wants to do that. If you can solve that problem you are well on your way.
I fully agree. Vigo will be the way to go for now. :thumbup:
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:If I may make a suggestion.. :think: :think:

Vigo has recovery points on the front (Thys would you say these are okay for heavy duty recoveries?)

Vigo REAR has NOTHING !! Real pain when a friendly Vigo driver wants to help a Jeep get off the pavement ....
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Moonunit »

Rear would be much easier to work with, noticed the hoops in front of the Vigo. Fitted a 50x50x5 square tube with a 20diameter round bar rolled to a 76 mean diameter, to a friends fortuner. Unfortunately don't have a pic of it. It bolted in in place of the tow bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

I would be interested in the Vigo recovery points
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Those little loops in the front of the Vigo are not rated recovery points.. good for towing and static recoveries, but I would think twice before doing a serious kinetic recovery on them...

The need for a proper off the shelf solution is there... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Return to “Build your own:”