Members' DIY projects
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Lumina

22R Intake pipe

Post by Moonunit »

My standard intake pipe that goes from the filter unit to the carb intake pipe perished. First the flexible section. 4xLux replaced it with a steel pipe and cut the existing bends to suit the pipe. Then the one bend closest to the carb cracked up and I had to do a quick fix with some insulation tape, which just lasted around 1000km while I was on holiday.

Got back yesterday and bought some silicone 45 degree bends and decent quality hose clamps. This is the end result

It seems the heat from the exhaust manifold caused the old rubber joints to go brittle and break up over time. I am planning on making a heat shield to direct some of the heat away from the intake pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 22R Intake pipe

Post by Mud Dog »

A heat shield is a good idea,just make sure it doesn't rattle.

The intake pipe should be very flexible - the motor shakes and twists on it's mountings, so with a solid pipe or one that doesn't have enough flex, those stresses / flexing are transferred to and shared by the carb and airbox. The airbox has a little 'give' but the carb not. Keep an eye on the carb for signs of fuel leakage and check for posibilities of sucking air (gaskets).

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Lumina

Post by Moonunit »

Thanks for the info mud dog! The silicone bend closest to the carb has quite a bit of movement, will keep an eye on it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Correction - the 22R has stabilizer mountings for the carb side of the intake on the tapet cover - the carb should not have suffered undue stress. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Build your own:”