Members' DIY projects
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Tyre Deflater - Inflater

Post by BenHur »

This is not originally my idea, a friend of mine Johan Engelbrecht (jengel on some of the other forums) came up with the idea. I just changed it a little bit to suite my personal requirements. The original only had the car valve housing working via the tap.

With mine I added a second T-Piece with the tap and then a quickfit coupling for my compressor and still the valve housing but mine with a valve in that will not let air escape but can still be used at a garage to pump the wheels. The one thing I discovered with these taps is that they only close one way so even with it closed I can add my compressors coupling and pump the wheel without even having to open the tap.

Johan brought nice hand calibrated pressure gauges from china with a maximum scale of 4 bar, but I could not use it since the thread is not standard to the fittings we have, so I bought this gauge with all the fittings at Builders Warehouse for approx R260. This gauge is not so finely marked as it scales up to 12bar. I did check it against the pressure regulator on my compressor and up to 6 bar it seems to be accurate. I would like to get an adapter socket to fit the other gauge at a later stage though.
Tyre in(de)flator.jpg
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Re: Tyre Deflater - Inflater

Post by BenHur »

I re-taped the tread on the gauge Johan brought from China and I am now using that on my Tyre-in(de)flator. It works well as it goes full scale to only 4 bars so you can adjust the tyre pressure more finely
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

I just put my inflater/deflater together much like Bennie did here. A little simpler without the quick coupler, I will look at the possible future mods to this device and what I want it to do for me... What I did want to add though is that I paid a visit to SA Gauge in Gemiston who made my gauge for me to my spec for R210... I had the face calibrated to 4 bar although I could have gone for the 6 bar version just as easy.

I had a look at the other gauges around, and as you can see by Bennies, it is not so easy to see when the max is at 12 bar.
Later....
David
Hillbilly
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cool

The reason I have the quick connect is to use it on my compressor at home as well :wink:
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bfreesani »

I am looking at the goodies available and playing with some ideas so that I can do a quick connect to the spare wheel that is pumped at 4-5 bar when over landing that can tie in with what I have now. I however think that part of it will be a "addon" that I will carry along for that specific purpose.

I have also had this weird idea to make a combination of these items so as to pump all the wheels the same pressure simultaneously. Just means that you have a bunch of piping with four inflators that need non return valves. Hook up all four at the same time to your pump (or deflater) and get all four the tyres the exact same pressure at the same time.

maybe a bit too elaborate :roll:
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bfreesani »

Oh Ben!!! I wanted to ask, are you joining us at Mahem with those new tyres you got on the Pajero..Should be interesting with all this rain.
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Where can one find a cheaper tyre deflater than the Straun Essential #1 at R 480 at Outdoorwarehouse (but performing the same function with the same accuracy)?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Sorry David other commitments

Return to “Build your own:”