3Y Engine in Microbus Kombi

Members' DIY projects
Kombi-3Y
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: VW Kombi with 3Y Engine

3Y Engine in Microbus Kombi

Post by Kombi-3Y »

Hi there.

My Kombi has a 3Y engine in it and due to a couple of unfortunate piping events along with the horrible time an engine endures in the bay of a kombi, I am now forced to re-build.

I have never done this before and am VERY excited.
She starts SUPER easy, but smokes like a choo choo and uses oil badly.

Does anyone have any do's and don'ts for me requiring the engine re-build?
I also have a problem with the starter not meshing with the ring gear. Its either the adapter plate or a starter/ring-gear mismatch, but that I will find out later.

The 3Y is NOT ideally suited for the kombi gear ratio and revs quite highly. Can I re-build the motor to last a little longer?

This is awesome! I can't wait for some replies :)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 3Y Engine in Microbus Kombi

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Norman and welcome!! :thumbup:

Almost any motor revs better than the old VW boxer motor! :lol: They had awesome torque though!
The 3Y is basically the same as the 4Y motor, just smaller capacity. Fantastic little motors. Have you any idea of the mileage that it's done?

They can be re-bored or even sleeved, but let them mic the bores up first ... there's a slim chance that you can get away with just new pistons and rings. A proper rebuild could be a bit pricey, but the motor will last a long time again after that. The question is, is it going to be worth it? Is the Kombi drive-train and body still good enough to warrant that kind of outlay? Another option, and possibly the best route for your current situation, would be to get a 'knock-off' 4Y from Midas or AutoZone for somewhere in the region of R8½k which would still be less than the cost of a re-build without the lengthy downtime. The 4Y will just bolt in and it will have a starter motor and fly-wheel (not sure if it has a clutch fitted). It would save you a lot of time and money. Just keep the old motor because you might just need the alternator and starter as spares a little further down the line .... the Chinese units aren't that good. (You could use some of the money that you saved to recon the old starter in readiness).

Good luck on your descision. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Hi and welcome Norman. I tend to agree more with oom Andy - the 4Y is a more popular mod, especially in the taxi industry. Good luck :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Norman,

Oom Andy and Donkey have made a sensible suggestion, with which I fully agree. It cost me more to overhaul a Toyota 4Y engine than to purchase a new Midas unit .

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

the 3 Y is better suited for your application, it is happier and more economical at high RPM. I'll grind the cam to Brospeed spec or even 272, it will make it stronger and lighter on fuel at high RPM, balancing is also cheap and a good idea. There are some cheap and nasty adaptors around, try to get a bell- housing that uses the std 3Y starter, not the Microbus unit
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

the 3 Y is better suited for your application, it is happier and more economical at high RPM. I'll grind the cam to Brospeed spec or even 272, it will make it stronger and lighter on fuel at high RPM, balancing is also cheap and a good idea. There are some cheap and nasty adaptors around, try to get a bell- housing that uses the std 3Y starter, not the Microbus unit
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Kombi-3Y
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: VW Kombi with 3Y Engine

Post by Kombi-3Y »

Thanks guys, great advice.

I am turning the Kombi into a camping van and i simply LOVE the sound an feel of the 3y. Its super smoothe!
I will definitely take Hoppy's advice WRT the cam as it is probably in need of a clean cut.

The bus was lucliky never a taxi and is in great nick. It has done well over 500 000 km though, so well traveled.

When I bought the bus, I had a nice stainless exhaust made up and she sounds sweet when operating, especially when cruising.

Fuel is a major concern to me, and I have heard the 4y is a real gas-guzzler. Is that true?

This is gonna be a home project, so besides any engineering, I will be doing all the work myself.

Thanks in advance to all the replies.
ps. I have just sold my Nissan Bakkie and the next one is definitely going to be a Toyota :)

Return to “Build your own:”