DIY 4x4 Vigo

Members' DIY projects
Etiënne
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Nissan 1400

DIY 4x4 Vigo

Post by Etiënne »

Good day gents
I'm currently thinking of buying myself a Vigo shape hilux but can't afford a 4x4 model. That's why I've thaught of buying a 2x4 an converting it to a 4x4 myself. If anyone has done this or thaught of doing it your views and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Info on the matter eg parts list and price will also be of great help.
TOYODA
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '89 YN67R with Ford V6 3.0

Re: DIY 4x4 Vigo

Post by TOYODA »

Welcome Etienne :wave:

Give us an estimation on your budget... From there we can start to give you an opinion. :thumbup:
Bester
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Paarl
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Bester »

Hi Etienne, it can be done but if you don't yet have the vehicle it may be worth the while just buying a 4x4 from the start. I'm not sure of the cost of the conversion, would mainly depend on at what price you can get the 2nd hand parts.
I would rather consider an older model 4x4, than buying a 4x2 and converting it.
Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Imagine Trailvan
Black Sam
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Mtunzini
Vehicle: Nissan Navara Pro 4x

Post by Black Sam »

Hi Ettienne, welcome to the forum.
a Friend of mine was considering the same and the quote he got was over the 60K really not worth it.
M2CW.
"LIFE'S A JOURNEY, ENJOY THE RIDE"
"WHERE THERE'S A 4X4....... THERE'S A WAY" .
"LEXUS - THE PURSUIT OF PERFECTION"
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Post by Tarquin »

its really not worth it, because if you buy a 4x4 you can try out the 4x4 and see if it works properly and if you buy the gearbox, front diff etc second hand you don't know whats inside till you drive it, parts could be damaged from previous owner. and it will cost you way more :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
TOYODA
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '89 YN67R with Ford V6 3.0

Post by TOYODA »

Here is M2CW.

Rather buy a 4.0 V6 4x4 Vigo. You have more power and it will use a little bit more fuel that the 2.7. The 1GR-FE engine is good for +400 000km.

The money you are going to save on the conversion, you can put a LR tank in, upgrade suspension, tyres and remove the front tupperware. It all depends on how much you want to spend on the vehicle in the first place... and the R60k is for the upgrades.
Etiënne
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Nissan 1400

Post by Etiënne »

Thanks for the inputs gentlemen, looks like I under estimated the costs involved. With regards to the V6 option, I work far from home and will need the bakkie to be a dayly driver and with petrol prices going through the roof I'd rather consider buying a diesel.

Return to “Build your own:”