BUILD YOUR OWN "ROCK-CRAWLER"

Members' DIY projects
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Re: BUILD YOUR OWN "ROCK-CRAWLER"

Post by Gunta »

You are making me jealous :mrgreen:
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: vereeniging
Vehicle: series80 land cruiser, '83 Hilux, Self built Jeep Wrangler, Self built Sandmaster, Self built Rock-crawler (in progress)

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:) Got stuck in yesterday and started looking at the fitment of the transferecases.....this is going to still take a bit of "Kopkrap" as I need to make an adaptor Between the NP205 and NP203. The Np203 fits between the gearbox and the other case to make up the "Doubler" which will give a first gear ratio of over 200:1 in "Crawl gear"..... :thumbup:
Got all the airsprings plumbed in last night and the system works perfectly. :yahoo:I now have control of each airspring, they can be inflated and deflated in seconds giving many ride configerations at the touch of a button.....Gotta get this Rig finished so I can Wheel it !!!
IMG_1774.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG (61.93 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
IMG_1771.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG (63.29 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
When You own a Rig as Beaten up as mine.....Any line is worth a try
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I'm beyond jealous already... and be aware there's a growing group of lurkers watching this thread with keen interest... yes you Ford/Jeep boys, you know who you are! :twisted:
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: series80 land cruiser, '83 Hilux, Self built Jeep Wrangler, Self built Sandmaster, Self built Rock-crawler (in progress)

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:thumbup: Well I got the drivers side B-pillar brace welded up and dressed both and fitted them in position. Thats one more thing off the list of things to do.
Next thing on the build is the Exhaust system.....this is the fun part ! I have a bunch of 42mm mandrel bent tubes and some 76mm that will go to the box. A friend gave me a Borla racing box from the States that I'll be fitting. I got the flanges water-jet cut and they still need to be port matched to the heads so theres no flow restrictions. This will be a fully TIG welded system so it should come out good looking as well ! :cooldude:
IMG_1810.JPG
IMG_1810.JPG (74.87 KiB) Viewed 8003 times
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG (59.43 KiB) Viewed 8003 times
IMG_1811.JPG
IMG_1811.JPG (64.3 KiB) Viewed 8003 times
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Got stuck in on Friday and removed the rear temporary air-spring posts so the rear tubes and fuel tank could be fitted......
IMG_1815.JPG
IMG_1815.JPG (66.65 KiB) Viewed 7974 times
IMG_1818.JPG
IMG_1818.JPG (73.52 KiB) Viewed 7974 times
honneysett
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by honneysett »

Hi see you got 404 mog axles, Where did you get the disc modifications for it or did it come with the diffs. Have some under a 1956 CJ6 Jeep and it came with drums, would like to change them perhaps run smaller rims at the moment running stock mog rims with 12.50 -20 tyres.
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

I'm also running drum brakes at the moment ! I put a set of 15" rims on the diffs but I have plans to fit a set of discs later. I had a set of inners laser cut with the Mog P.C.D and then welded them in before making the bead-locks. I have some ideas for the disc brake conversion....
154_0706_10_z+2006_jeep_wrangler_unlimited+tire.jpg
154_0706_10_z+2006_jeep_wrangler_unlimited+tire.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 7946 times
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Is that the T case with the disconect on the rear propshaft? What ratio will you be running in the T case?
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Thats the NP205 casing in the pic....I have already done the twin-stick conversion to the selectors of the box that will be the same as the rear disconnect.
The 205 has a 1.98:1 ratio and the NP203 is about 2:1. The gearbox I'm using has a "Granny" first so with the whole combo takes the ratios to over 200:1 in first.
With the twinstick set-up you can run 2x4 front in high,low and crawl....2x4 rear in high ,low and crawl and 4x4 in high ,low and crawl. I'll be doing a set of cutting brakes on all 4 wheels and have pnuematic cyl for the Mog mechanical diff locks as theres already air on board.
129_1004_01+1971_chevy_suburban_doubler_transfer_case+finished_product.jpg
129_1004_01+1971_chevy_suburban_doubler_transfer_case+finished_product.jpg (33.89 KiB) Viewed 7916 times
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Dang... hopefully I'll see this beast in action one day! :beg:
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:thumbup: I can't wait myself.....I'll have to come visit and drive over that flat mountain You guys have down there :twisted:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Awesome project Mark! :thumbup: Taken quite some time but it seems to be coming together now! ;-) (Just don't cut any corners in the final thrust to get it finished. :D: )
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:thumbup: It has taken some time but I worked out the other day that We(M&P FABWORX) have built 5 serious compertition vehicles and the first right hand drive JK Jeep with a 6.4 Hemi called Genesis inbetween working on 2 Crawlers as well.Then theres the diff mods, 4-links ,odd roll-cages and go-carts that still had to be looked at :cooldude: and all this after a full days work as all this is after all a "Hobbie",passion ....Drug .....call it what You may ! :shock2:
I landed up re-doing the rear 4-link about 5 times as it had massive anti-squat. Far more than I was happy with .....the anti-squat is now acceptable and the whole Rig will lauch off the line as expected ....without spilling a Beer! :beach:
I added some essential bracing on the rear off the Rig on Friday and this will add considerable strength to the "B" pillar section and also control all of the stresses from the rear suspension that will be transfered to the whole frame work. The roof has also been strengthened with extra triangulated bracings that will give the drivers cell maximum strength in the event of a decent roll.....which off course I'm not planning at all :twisted:
IMG_1884.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG (77.75 KiB) Viewed 7867 times
IMG_1883.JPG
IMG_1883.JPG (71.49 KiB) Viewed 7867 times
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

O no Mark.I dont think that flat mountain of the capies is challenging enouth for that RIG of yours :lol: Looking very good :thumbup:
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Awesome build, Mark. :thumbup: There's only one thing your that rig might be short of, and that's rear wheel steer for those tight obstacles, but even without it, it's going to be a formidable contender. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

legend35 wrote:O no Mark.I dont think that flat mountain of the capies is challenging enouth for that RIG of yours :lol: Looking very good :thumbup:
:laugh2: Nay my bra ....those dudes will flip if you even touch their bergie!!! :wth:
I had a rear Mog diff in the back..... but I don't think my style of driving would have mixed too well with a rear steer ! I'd probably roll it on a level piece of road :laugh2: I have a spare diff for a rear steer set-up and theres space provided for turning on the cage as well .....thats plan B!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

THROTTLE-BOY wrote:
legend35 wrote:O no Mark.I dont think that flat mountain of the capies is challenging enouth for that RIG of yours :lol: Looking very good :thumbup:
:laugh2: Nay my bra ....those dudes will flip if you even touch their bergie!!! :wth:
I had a rear Mog diff in the back..... but I don't think my style of driving would have mixed too well with a rear steer ! I'd probably roll it on a level piece of road :laugh2: I have a spare diff for a rear steer set-up and theres space provided for turning on the cage as well .....thats plan B!
Just checking to see that you thought of everything. :twisted: :lol:

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

i am not that fond of rear steering, makes it to easy and it looks more like a construction machine.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hoppy wrote:i am not that fond of rear steering, makes it to easy and it looks more like a construction machine.
Me neither .... as far as I'm concerned, it makes the rear drive a weak point. But the guys that set up / lay out some of these extreme courses purposely include a tight obstacle here and there because so many okes with pipe cars have rear steer nowadays. ;-)

THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Mud Dog wrote:
Hoppy wrote:i am not that fond of rear steering, makes it to easy and it looks more like a construction machine.
Me neither .... as far as I'm concerned, it makes the rear drive a weak point. But the guys that set up / lay out some of these extreme courses purposely include a tight obstacle here and there because so many okes with pipe cars have rear steer nowadays. ;-)
I agree the front diff in the rear doesn't work when it comes to strength!!!
I've seen some drivers with all the bells and whistles take so bloody long in an obsticle that you can see the grass discolour as the season changes. BORING as hell , :evil: thats why theres cutting brakes for tight turns and roll-overs when you don't make the turns,after all we aren't driving grocery getters !!! :cooldude:
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Loaded the Crawler yesterday and took it home....I've got some holiday work to be done on it ....
IMG_1892.JPG
IMG_1892.JPG (74 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Mark if you dare put foot on Table Mountain - PLEASE call me first .... I will be there with my cameras to record the event :)

but I have to agree .... this little hill on our voorstoep wont offer much of a challange to that beaut of a machine.
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:thumbup: :lmao: I'll call You first Chris.....I have already entered the Rig into an Extremeshow next year June out here in the Vaal so the clock she is a ticking !!! :D:
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Got back from a great week-end at Moegatle and also got my complimentary voucher for a Roll,Recovery and pin-stripping !
IMG_1984.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG (56.07 KiB) Viewed 7722 times
Started working on the branches for the Crawler yesterday as the week-end has given me new inspiration to get this Rig done soon !
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG (68.51 KiB) Viewed 7722 times
IMG_1976.JPG
IMG_1976.JPG (80.4 KiB) Viewed 7722 times
witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: D4D 4x4 Lux + D4D 4x4 Tuna

Post by witmamba »

Hey Mark - any more pics of Moegatle???
Stop being stingy and post those peekchaz!
Life only starts . . . . where comfortlevels end
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:twisted: What a Rip at Moegatle.....Friday night at 6 started a night-drive and got back to camp after 12.....after puttin No7 on its roof in a donga that had the gearbox oil running over us while still in the Rig. Saturday did a couple of really cool serious obsticles and landed up at "SledgeHammer" and "Propshaft Alley".....got through all that with not many casualties.....drove again till into the night.
Sunday was the real day we all waited for..... The Rock it'self....... :twisted: Theres enough Rock there to keep any crawler busy for a while......Drove most of the rockcrawl comp obsticles and then went on to run the Tsogwe Trail......
I love the Tsogwe trail as We helped lay it out a while ago .....it's about as rough as a Rhino's nutsack and theres almost a 100% chance of some or other RockRash.....As expected No7 took a bad ass line and I landed up on dislodged rock the size of a coffee table that pushed the Rig on it's righthand side standing at about 70 degrees on only the right front wheel facing down the mountain side......Now that was the highlight of my trip :yahoo: Revved that 8 plug till the oil light came on !!! After about a half on hours recovery we got loose and down the mountain we went.....I'll do it all again any day .....great crowd of guys and a magic place to wheel !
IMG_1918.JPG
IMG_1918.JPG (59.29 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
IMG_1955.JPG
IMG_1955.JPG (71.33 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG (93.58 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
IMG_1964.JPG
IMG_1964.JPG (86.53 KiB) Viewed 7692 times
witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by witmamba »

Jis, I'm sorry I missed it. Was looking forward to going along. Glad you guys enjoyed it though.
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:thumbup: Hansie You would have had a good time had You come....Planning a "Shake-down" week-end for the Crawler when its done at Moegatle for some testing ....will let You know ahead of time ! :yahoo:
Spent an hour or so on the branches today and they are already taking shape.....one more tube to fit on the left bank....this past week-end really motivated me for this project !
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1986.JPG (57.1 KiB) Viewed 7678 times
IMG_1989.JPG
IMG_1989.JPG (57.62 KiB) Viewed 7678 times
IMG_1992.JPG
IMG_1992.JPG (75.46 KiB) Viewed 7678 times
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Looking good! I see you're planning on 8 into 1 .... would have rather done two pipes myself. Not a lot of space to get to the bolts, but thank goodness for ratchet handles! :laugh2:

Great work! Keep it up! ;-)

THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Finished the left sides branch today and will get the rest of the system fabbed up tommorow.
IMG_2067.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG (54.76 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Mark looking at those pics I have bad news for you !! DONT bother bringing that rig to Cape Town - driving over Table Mountain will be less exciting than going down your driveway !!!!!!!!

Man, you guys are insane in the most fun way possible !! :)
witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by witmamba »

Those branches look mean! - you won't buy that setup over a Midas counter....
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:lmao: You Guys crack me up....Got the exhuast almost complete by last night , still have the last bend or two and then the Borla box. I have a feeling this Beast is gonna be 'Offensively' LOUD.....That should take the guess-work out of were the Dwangs hitting the fan !!!
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG (65.4 KiB) Viewed 8031 times
IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG (62.91 KiB) Viewed 8031 times
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:yahoo: Crawlers Exhaust done and dusted.......now theres about a days work left to TIG weld it all up and dress everything. If this system sounds as good as it looks I'll be happy !!! :beg:
IMG_2087.JPG
IMG_2087.JPG (51.73 KiB) Viewed 8022 times
IMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG (98.97 KiB) Viewed 8022 times
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Mark, educate me! As I understand, a branch is intended to create equal lengths of pipe for all cylinders .... that doesn't seem to be the case here ..... or am I looking skeef? I also notice that both sides are different. You've gone through an awful lot of effort to create that setup ...... an explanation please, I'm confused. :D: ;-)

THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Over the years I've built many high performance exhaust systems and it's dyno proven that the size of the primary tubes are more important than the length of the primaries. The ideal length for a 4 into 1 design for a 350 Chevy is between 32 and 36 inches long....the size of the primaries and length both contribute and can be tuned to where the motors torque band will be in conjunction with the chosen cam....the longer the primary tubes the lower the torque band will be and keeping the primary tubes smaller will benifit higher gas speeds and improve the "Scavenging" effect of the exhaust system. This will prevent spent gasses from re-entering the cylinder heads and contaminating the fresh fuel-air mix......the scavenging effect also helps draw the fresh mix into the cylinder head.
I placed my motor off center by 60mm for many reasons that will be necessary later in the build.....more space on the drivers side as this will be a left-hand drive Rig....( throttle ,brakes and clutch),the transfere case off-set weight including prop weight and angles of aproach to the Mog diffs. The passenger sides tubes are fabricated on a vertical plane compared to the drivers side as space in the frame was limited ....so yes it looks different on the pics.If You've ever built a Rig from scratch you soon learn to plan the whole Rig out in your head .....making sure that what you put in today won't foul something tommorrow ! I hate doing anything twice so I've I've learnt to rather think everything through carefully ......5 hours of planning and 1 hours work !!! :cooldude:
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Got the Borla Box fitted ,the fuel cell is in position and the radiator has been put in place to check for any clearance issues......none so far . Now I need to make up some permanent mount brackets and weld on some aluminium bosses to the side tanks fo final fitment. I got some 32mm 316 stainless steel tubing and bends for the radiator piping to the motor.
IMG_2142.JPG
IMG_2142.JPG (67.02 KiB) Viewed 7981 times
IMG_2135.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG (54.83 KiB) Viewed 7981 times
IMG_2133.JPG
IMG_2133.JPG (57.64 KiB) Viewed 7981 times
IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG (61.83 KiB) Viewed 7981 times
witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by witmamba »

Taking shape nicely - glad to see you reaping the fruits of staying at home in December :twisted:
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:thumbup:Hi Hansie ....I take it You are back at work already.....that sucks Boet ! I've done more this past week than I've done in the past 2 months on that Rig and it's starting to take shape! :yahoo: This thing must run early next year !!!!
I got my bead-lock bolt protectors fitted. They are CNC machined from aircraft aluminium and I had them "Gun-coated" for added protection in the rocks. They serve 2 purposes.....firstly to protect the cap-heads and secondly they add exrta traction on the rocks when you are on your side and trying to get out of a bad situation.....and usually into a worse one !!! :twisted:
The first pic is with the washes only befor the change over !
IMG_2082.JPG
IMG_2082.JPG (36.1 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG (49.77 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG (39.59 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Looking smart! Getting anxious myself now to see the rest come together! :D:

witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by witmamba »

Really awesome work!
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:thumbup: Thanks Hansie....started planning out the dash for the Rig with some cardboard templates. This still needs to be fabbed out of aluminium so theres a bit of planning still before the first cutting gets done !
IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG (64.32 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
IMG_2172.JPG
IMG_2172.JPG (54.88 KiB) Viewed 7900 times
witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by witmamba »

Looks good, it won't bugger around too much with your view of the wheels/ line of sight.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: ..... Taking shape! .... Pun intended! :D:

THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

witmamba wrote:Looks good, it won't bugger around too much with your view of the wheels/ line of sight.
:thumbup:Not at all, theres as set just on the centre-line of the stearing where the dash will drop at an angle so the front wheels can be seen. You must come visit the shop in next week.....it's going back on monday. Will We see on Sunday ?
witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by witmamba »

:blushing: :? :|
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Back at work again .....took No7 to the shop for some repairs after Hiedelburg yesterday.....blew another Longfield 30 spline.....so after work today there was a stripshow and this is how looks...... :sick:
IMG_2200.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG (61.11 KiB) Viewed 7867 times
Got the Crawler loaded this evening and it's to the shop tommorow for some serious afterhours attention !!! :yahoo:
IMG_2203.JPG
IMG_2203.JPG (64.58 KiB) Viewed 7867 times
witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by witmamba »

Looking flippin' good!!!
witmamba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by witmamba »

update???????
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:thumbdown: No new work has been done on the Crawler......We are busy at work which is always a good thing and M&P Fabworx has 5 Rigs booked in already.....at the moment We're fitting a solid front axle with cross-over steering and 35's into a Hilux that had the independant "MallRat" set-up from the factory. This is going to be a serious Rig as the owner's plans are big and He's also not scared to wheel what He's got !
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Got started on welding up my branches for the first time today and it was well worth the effort.....theres always someone elses parts that need attention before your own .....heres a pic of the Hilux that had it's IFS yanked out and we fitted a solid front axle with a set of 35's....theres still the Exo, front and rear bumpers and a 4-link later.....the Lexus was fitted by a friend so it's almost time for a good shake-down with this Rig. Still have to build the exhaust system as well......
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG (48.81 KiB) Viewed 7639 times
IMG_2648.JPG
IMG_2648.JPG (61.37 KiB) Viewed 7639 times
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Johannes van die See »

THROTTLE-BOY wrote: Heres the diff between a Dana 60 front sideshaft compared to the Mog's
attachment.jpg
Help my gou reg hier asb, is die onderste sideshaft wat gebreuk is die Dana 60 sideshaft en die boonste een die Mog sideshaft?
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Nee Johannes, hulle hoort bymekaar .... dis een kant se stel. Die rollerball cage het female splines binnekant waarin die langer shaft pas ... ander ent gaan diff toe. ;-)

THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

Well it's been more than 2 years since I last posted anything on this forum......no real reason other than It's been a crazy past 2 years and We've (M&P Fabworx) have built a lot of new Rigs and parts and in doing so have placed our personal Rigs on hold........Proud to say theres been 2 serious National winning Rigs born out of this......Gavin's fastest senior eliminator at Tarlton ......taking National Honours 2 years in a row and Leon's Class 3 National Challenge Rig which was built end of last years and has already had huge results with 3 class wins in a row............
526954_447605458653084_2061256155_n.jpg
526954_447605458653084_2061256155_n.jpg (27.53 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
IMG_4921.JPG
IMG_4921.JPG (66.01 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
IMG_5063.JPG
IMG_5063.JPG (52.24 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
Now back to my Crawler.... We decided that this year would be dedicated to building our Rigs and getting them completed.....so far alls going to plan. I yanked out the L82 Chevy TPI motor and dumped it with the branches. I bought a LS1 04 Corvette motor......there was way too little space in the original frame and this was the perfect time to chop the front-end of the Rig off and get it redesigned for a 2014 :cooldude:
IMG_4489.JPG
IMG_4489.JPG (60.55 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
IMG_0771.JPG
IMG_0771.JPG (57.41 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
IMG_4528.JPG
IMG_4528.JPG (63.8 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Congrats on the successful builds. :thumbup: As for your own, looks like the saga starts again, but with a few steps back. :D:

Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

Come now mark... Share the pics on facebook of the beast...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:thumbup: After getting the nose done.......another set of branches had to be built for the LS1
IMG_5153.JPG
IMG_5153.JPG (60.3 KiB) Viewed 7027 times
IMG_5132.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG (53.81 KiB) Viewed 7027 times
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Unbelievable job you are doing! Hope you get the time to finish this project now. Can't wait to see the end result!
THROTTLE-BOY
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by THROTTLE-BOY »

:thumbup: It was time to truss the rear diff casing to mount the top links and make some space for shock post mounts.......
IMG-20140418-WA0025.jpg
(88.22 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
IMG-20140418-WA0027.jpg
(94.75 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
IMG-20140428-WA0003.jpg
(133.36 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Now the real work starts......getting the aluminium body panels done .....starting at the nose which was about the most challenging so far becuase of its shape. This turned out well on the first try and so far it's just the rear quarter panels and the roof left to do .
IMG-20140517-WA0001.jpg
(97.31 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
I got a set of Toyota Run-X driving lights to finish off the look thats still need some mounting brackets........
IMG-20140517-WA0002.jpg
(101 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
IMG-20140517-WA0009.jpg
(73.81 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
IMG-20140517-WA0005.jpg
(78.9 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
IMG-20140517-WA0010.jpg
(102.65 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice progress, looking good!! :thumbup:

Return to “Build your own:”