Members' DIY projects
SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Manufacturing your own type ARB front bumper

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Yes these ARB type front bumpers do cost a lot of money, due to various reasons, eg import duties, profit margins and overheads, I will be explaining to you how we went about manufacturing our own front bumper for my Hilux, how we fitted it to my Hilux and some extra info to help make it stronger so that when you are winching you do not pull it off in the process.

This subject will continue :arrow:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Re: Manufacturing your own type ARB front bumper

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Simon

Please continue with this post most intrested as I am going to be building my own bumper too :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
SYRON CONVERSIONS

I will but not tonight, eyes are sore going to bed soon, but here are just a few photo's to give you some ideas, have more that I have to load up first.

Chat again tomorrow.

I will explain to you why there are these plates welded in such a way to the front of my Hilux, history of cattle damage and there are in fact tapper head 16mm bolts with nuts that can be loosened so that I can remove the front bumper as well.

Goodnight :)
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Simon

I would also like to see this report of yours. I am planning to do a body lift soon and then I will have to change my bumper to move it the 50mm higher. I want to build complete new mounint points for it.

I just have one question though. In your first pic you have a mount that fits between the body and the chassis ( the place where I am planning to fit my body spacers. Do you think this is a good idea. Lets say you get in a accident where your van is bumped in front and the BB bends, dont you think it is going to tore or bend the body mounts?
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Simon on closer look Benhur looks to be right unless there are really serious mounts further down which means if the shunt is had enough to distroy those then the chassy will be bent and then most lickly the body will be damaged anyway. :(
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

I would like to make something like this :mrgreen:
00000.jpg
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

CM,

Looks very similar to the NudgeM BB that I have...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113&p=808#p808

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

CM :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Skerp

F_D

Nope that one is actually my BB made by a guy named Louis in Wochester in the Cape. His company is called Desert Stormer. It is same as the one that 1NSANE had on his Lux that he sold recently.

But I am going to make slight modifications on it when I am going to alter it at the time I do the body lift. It is not 100% as solid/rigid as my ARB on the Pajero.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hay Benhur :mrgreen:

I thought it might be yours but couldnt quite remeber :? It is really a cool bumper :D would you mind much if I copied it :?:

CM
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Busy looking for the photo's amongst the thousands that I have, I will explain later the reasons and why I also mounted this bumper like this then you will understand. :arrow:

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cool :wink:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Found themBusy uploading them to photobox, once all loaded will carry on (lekker hey but did I have to search :lol: ) found photo's that I forgot about.

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Okay first I removed the one battery ternimal from the battery, if you have a cut out switch you can just turn it off.

I then removed the existing front cosmetic looking bumper, then noticed that the front cross member was not straight, I had actually traced the two previous owners of this vehicle through the registering dept and the original owner had told me that he has hit a cow with the bakkie when it was still std, thus this is why the front cross member is not 100 % straight, not too bad but not correct.

Anyway I then used a thread tap and made sure that the four captive thread "nuts" were clean and that a 16mm bolt fine thread screwed in and out easy, this is a special bot that you have to use, will take a photo of it to show you and measure the pitch as well.

I cannot remember now what thickness plate I used, but have a look at this first photo and you will see where and how I started.

But you must also remember that if you considered to buy an ARB new bumper and your vehicle has a body lift, it would not work, the headlights would not shine correctly, maybe the pipes would be in the way and there would be a gap between the top of the bumper and the body work.

You also have to consider the airflow to the radiator, the less airflow, the less cooling you will have.

This first photo shows you where I started, to get the corect measurements for the bolt holes, I used a nice thick piece of cardboard, made a basic templet of the front cross member and where the holes are. :arrow:

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

I do not have any photo's of the square thick plates that I first used, but baiscally I think they were 15 or 20mm thick, what I did was drill 16mm holes through these pieces of metal, but also made a tapper on the one side, I bought four 16mm HT bolts which has tapper heads, these are the type that you use an allen key to tighten them, once I was happy that the head of the bolts was flush with the flat metal surface, I then welded these blocks onto the front cross member in front of the threaded holes (sorry I forgot I did not need the threaded holes) anyway once these blocks of steel were in their corect positions I used a C0 2 Welder (now to just re-cap, the reason why I had removed the battery ternimal is because it is not a good idea to weld on a vehicle if the battery is connected, some people say that it makes no difference, But I believe the welding can damage the diods in the altinator.

If you look on the right hand side of the photo you will see the bolts and how the front plate is bolted to the vehicle, thus it can be removed if required. :arrow:

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

This is not a very clear photo, maybe somebody can brighten it up and re-post it here, but it baiscally shows the front square blocks that are welded in place, before you weld them in place you must also remember to spot weld the heads of the bolts on the other side, otherwise the bolts will turn when you try to tighten the nuts, while we were in the process of manufacturing this bumper, we did not bother about using spring washes, they were used when we finally fitted this bumper when it was completed.

:)
49386625ca2afbeb220000fa82127d43403ec9843103722b652f26ac.jpg
:arrow: will continue, if any questions please ask

Edit: Simon I fixed up the photo a bit but this is the best you will be able to get it (Benhur)

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Photo showing how the approach angle will be effected with this front bumper, the heigher you can mount it the better, but this will vary from Hilux to Hilux.

Maybe somebody can lighten this photo's as well and just repost it.

:arrow:
46057522e54025375db5ab39a11bbaa5efff99e827478dc3d6b6a0ba.jpg
Edit: Done (Benhur)

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Will continue tomorrow late now again, not enough hours in the day, but here is a photo showing the bumper taking shape, I will still explain how we went about designing it.
Goodnight :wink:

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Simon

I do not know if I am not seeing correctly, but does your BB have a bracket that connect to the holes (with the treaded nuts welded in) underneath the chassis as well?
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Goodmorning benhur
Hope you are feeling better than yesterday (back)

No I do not have any bracket attaching the bumper to the bottom of the chassis, the reason been, as you know at the bottom of the chassis there are the two threaded holes one behind each other, these holes I have used for the tow hooks.

We did not consider using them, but just to confirm, look in the 2nd photo from above, you will see that there is a bolt head that must be removed one on each side, if this plate is removed, a person can get to the other horizontal 16mm "studs" that stick out from the square plates that are welded to the chassis.

But yes maybe this bumper support system can be made better if addiditional brackets were manufactured and bolted on underneath the chassis, but maybe we did not do this to give us more of an approach angle silmilar to like a sliding action if any rocks came in the way, if a flat bar was used it would have to be maybe fitted vertical in other words on the edge, when flat bar is used horizontal or lying down, it is not as strong in that position, this is why most other bumpers there brackets are vertical, more strength.

I have basically run out of 3G time for this month, only get 500 (whatever) will see if I can get some more added on tomorrow.

This is why we removed the std front cab mounting rubbers and fitted the solid steel spaces instead, and then welded the addidional angle iron supports, when a winch is fitted into a front bumper like this, the bumper has to have additional support higher up, because the higher the pull, the more force will be put on the mountings of the bumper, I saw a photo of some person who had a Hilux SFA and the complete front bumper was completely pulled off, I have a photo, maybe you also do, can post it here so that everybody else will be able to see what happens when only the bottom four front holes are used to mount a front bumper.

Must go now got a few things to do, will chat later for a while and continue with this topic.

Take things easy. 8)

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Thankyou

For sorting out the photo's for me.

:)

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Pleassure

My bumper uses both the bottom ones and the ones in front as well (vertical as well as horizontal).

I remember the pictures when someone's bumper came off but that normally happens if the people do not use proper graded bolts but rather normal mild steel ones. The B/Bar then simply act as a scissor when you apply pressure.

The reason I asked about the horisontal ones is that I am just scared that the B/Bar might bend upwards into the cab if force is applied (pushing and not pulling) like in an accident. :wink:
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Simon I think this is the photo you were refering to :mrgreen:
pict2293_611ttttttttttttttttttt.jpg

By the way Simon how did you sort out your skew Bumper?
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Here are my Bullbar's mounting brackets.

But I might jack them up a bit more when I do the bodylift :wink:

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

I think what i am going to do is strip my front bumper and bar of and take measurments and then asemble and build a full sized model out of stiff card board and the try and fabricate mountings taking all the good ideas and mounting point into consideration and then make a cutting list from that :mrgreen:
SYRON CONVERSIONS

This is basically what we did as well, however we also had a look around, took photo's of other peoples front bumpers as well as some measurements and came up with the result of the bumper that we ended up manufacturing.

I have got some more pic's, busy uploading them.

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

So we had the basic open box shape mounted temporary onto the front of the vehicle, we then welded an end plate to each end, from this flat plate we then made up, had cut at an engineering business the various flat plates in the profile shape that we required, but we first used cardboard cut into the shape that we required, making the cardboard profiles from the various measurements and looking at the photo's that we had taken from other vehicles of their front bumpers.

If you look carefully, the front plate that we bolted on first, the flat plate is where the winch was fitted, but you have to make sure that you gusset it correctly underneath to give sufficient support.

Welded the end plates so that it gives the bumper a finish look, we then remounted the bumper temporary again to check that everything lines up and fits, once we were satisfied that everything was correct, we then primed the bumper with paint and becasue the black primer looked so good, we did not bother to paint it another colour, once the primer had dried, we re-mounted the bumper, fitted the electric winch, cables and then the top cover, when you finally fit the bumper, do not use Nylock nuts, rather use spring washes instead.

I might have left out one or two items, but it was about two years back since we made this front bumper for The Hilux.

But because when you remove the std front bumper from your vehicle and fit one like this, you have to make provision for additional front park and indicator lights, thus I managed to get some orange marker lights that I fitted on as Indicator lights, but as an option you can cut out other profile holes and fit other suitable park/indicator lights instead.

Fitting a bumper like this might not activate your air bags in the cab of your vehicle, thus you have been warned, do not ask me if it has a crumple zone (hopefully not) if I hit something, this front bumper must do it's job, a few years back I hit some cattle in the road with a Nissan 1400 bakkie, wrote the bakkie off, nearly killed my wife and I, since then I have said that is the last time, this is why I bought this Hilux bakkie. Whatever aftermarket front bumpers are fitted to a vehicle, I recon that they will also prevent air bags from activating, I may be wrong, but I recon that my bumper will help protect me more than an airbag.Image

We then welded the various plates together and soon the actual shape of the bumper could be seen, but be warned do not weld the plates all the way at once,if you do you will distort the bumper and it will be a stuff up, you must spot weld it and then slowly from various points of the bumper, proceed to weld it.
While welding the bumper we used a bottle jack with a short length of steel to help stop the distortion as well, where the open end was.

We then made up the cover, welded some extra support brackets for the cover bolts, welded in some captive nuts (do not use Nylock nuts, rather use normal threaded nuts). Cut the rectangle hole for the winch rollers, (cable guide).

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

simon bumper.jpg
Will look for a better photo of the front bumper, maybe benhur can lighten it for me please.
8)

Edit: Done - Bennie

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

2nd Option also very easy

Now please note: This bumper was originally welded together by a friend of mine
Wade, he did it at home in his garage, with the bare tools, an old oil wender, 115mm angle grinder and some cold nights oh yes must not forget this........

"Honey your supper is getting cold, please come and eat....15 minutes later, Wade I told you to come and eat, your food is getting cold"

Just had to add this, I am not sure if it is true, but it reminds me of my wife, do you get the picture :wink:

Anyway Wade was busy manufacturing this front bumper, what he did was go to a scrap yard, buy an accident damaged Hilux front bumper, cut the ears off and then start afresh and made this bumper and covered the frame with flat sheet metal, but he ended up selling his old Hilux and thus I bought this from him, I think I paid him R500. cannot remember.

So we brought it back up here to Queenstown, re-welded some of the joints with the CO 2 welder, grinded away and rounded off the sharp edges and excess welding, we then primed the complete bumper, then sprayed it our famous Baby Pink in colour, why Pink of all colours??

Well have you ever seen a pink front bumper on a 4x4 :roll: :lol:
8) :? :shock: :o :oops: :?:

Well I never have before this, but believe me it sure attracks the attention of our "fellow men" they then keep out of the way, yes while driving The Hilux we sure get many nice smiles from The Ladies :wink:

Thus once it was re-sprayed we mounted it to the front of The Single cab 4x4 Hilux that Ronny drives, Wade even made a very nice attachement that you can use the High Lift Jack, or insert another wedge bar which locks in place and this attachement has a tow ball on it, nice to push boats into the water.

Thus if you are wanting to fit a bumper similar to an ARB then consider this way as an option.

With a bumper like this, if you look at the photo's you will see that you can also mount your winch inside it. More pic's will follow :arrow:

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

But we also stop for lunch sometimes and enjoy a braai, but when our bellies are full, who wants to go back and work, or is it what we drink that makes us tired :wink:

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

And finally the end result, look how easy it was

What do you notice different about the front of this Hilux :)

simoan
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

SYRON CONVERSIONS wrote: What do you notice different about the front of this Hilux :)
Mmm let me think - must be the twin number plates :roll: :roll: :wink:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi guys,

What's the thickness of the sheet metal you would recommend? (That's for the actual bumper bits?) Has anybody ever had wheel bearing problems due to the extra weight of the winch/bumper etc?

Cheers,
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

cprinsloo wrote:Hi guys,

What's the thickness of the sheet metal you would recommend? (That's for the actual bumper bits?) Has anybody ever had wheel bearing problems due to the extra weight of the winch/bumper etc?

Cheers,
Chris

No I have not heard of any wheel bearing problems, it is normally your front leave blades/torsionbars/coilsprings that take the strain with the added weight and would then require upgrading.

Metal thinkness varies but mostly Ive seen guys using 2 mm to about 3.5 mm. A friend of mine built one for his brother a while back and they used a mix and match of sizes of plate for the various porsions of the bulbar.

Check out this link.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... php?t=8585
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Thanks Ben,

I already built a "mock-up" out of carton, to get the dimensions correct. If and when I'm finished will paste a few pics.

Cheers,

Chris
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Chris, I would say between 2.5 and 3mm. 2mm might be difficult to weld and not that strong. It is not that heavy. I have seen on on a Namibian 2700i made from 5mm steel and it had no problems with the bearings at all. Personally I would go for 3mm.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Piet you are right I meant 2.5mm (typo)
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Depending on which model Hilux you want to manufacture your bumper for, if it is the newer Hilux's with the independant front suspension, go for 2.5mm but for Hilux's with SFA use 3mm, the SFA can handle more weight in front and the extra weight also forces the front axle down, thus more traction.

If you do find it too heavy or if you find your vehicle is over heating you can use a hole saw and cut some nice large 25 to 40mm holes up front, you will have to use common sence where to drill them.

simoan
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

PINK? WTH? :shock: Does that hilux belong t a girl?
SYRON CONVERSIONS

:) Hey Riceburner what makes you think a girl drives that truck :lol: :lol: :lol:

The guy who does, is actually my Godfather Ronny he calls it a GAYLUX But he is not gay.

Do you think the colour is coool, paint your front bumper this colour and you will see how the ladies respond to you while you are out driving or even daughter to mother "hey mom, why is that front bumper pink?"

simoan
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Riceburner »

nooooo :lol: all I need is a mirror ball and Abba!
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Riceburner wrote:nooooo :lol: all I need is a mirror ball and Abba!
Darryl. If you change the ABBA to Britney Spears or one of today's idols you can rather chaaf the daugters of the old aunties that you are now chaafing with the ABBA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Will te mirror ball go onto your bullbar? :wink: You must not forget to send me the pics of that body lift spacers we discussed.
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Riceburner »

No pics. They are black poly thats it.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Well I am going to start collecting meterial to start building a cardboard mockup so I can get the design right and then also formulate a cutting list once I am done I will take detaild photos and post as I go along :)
SYRON CONVERSIONS

I will take a few pic's of the spacers that we bought from Riceburner, I am sure that they are the same, very nice indead

simoan
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Riceburner »

Thanks SC, they are the same ones.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

A while back I saw a guy who made himself a bumper replacement bulbar for a little Zookie from lipped channel and it looked rather snazzy. Then when I saw the way the ARB for my Pajero is made it got me thinking.

The ARB integrated bulbar also seams to be made of a piece of metal similar to a lipped channel and have wedges cut out, and then the plate were bent to close up these gaps that were formed where the wedges were cut out. The seams are then simply welded close again.

This gave me an idea of building your own bumper. If you buy a length of lets say 100 x 50 x 30 x 3mm lipped channel that should be all the metal you need for the outer cover of the bumper.

The ARB has the outer shell as one solid unit and then the brackets that mount the bumper to the chassis as separate pieces that screw onto the outer shell.

So the idea is to first build the mounting brackets where the bumper connects to chassis. Then build the outer shell with fittings to screw onto the mounting brackets. This way it would also be easier to change the height of the bumper if you for instance do a body lift rather then having to cut and weld the mounting brackets again.

The outer shell can then be made as in these sketches.
bullbar.jpg
The advantage of using the lipped channel is that the place where the top surface and front surface connects would have needed to be welded if you used loose sheets of metal now has a nice seamless rounding which is much neater.

You may not be able to simply cut wedges and bend the metal at home, so the places where the ARB is bend to get the contours right, you may have to cut and weld up the seams. Not all of us are so fortunate to have a fancy MIG or TIG welder so we can then simply tag the bumper in together and take it to a place that can do neat and professional welds on the seams

First make the top section and tag it together. Then cut pieces to do the angled portion underneath sloping towards the body. The exact shape and angle of these can be made to suite your own taste.
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Excellent, there are some very interesting points in this thread of yours, but the heigher that a person can mount it the better the approach angle.

simoan
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Just pulled this thing off, Corrie did not have any tow recovery points only this funny looking front bull bar, well off it came with one tug.

simoan
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Looks like it could be an idea to use chanel however I have a few ideas of my own which I will show in greater detail over the weekend :mrgreen:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Cookie Monster wrote:Looks like it could be an idea to use chanel however I have a few ideas of my own which I will show in greater detail over the weekend :mrgreen:
Can't wait to see. :wink: :wink:
Andries
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Dordrecht
Vehicle: '94 2.2 4Y Hilux S/C, '87 2.2 4Y Hilux D/C

Post by Andries »

Hi Bennie!

Is it possible for you to give measurement on the ARB front bumper on a SFA,
I would like to make my own bumper but I am not sure of the measurements.

I would appreciate it if you can place an attachment with the measurements on the it, that it will make live easier and faster.

Thanx!

Andries
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Andries

My SFA's bumper is actually not an ARB, the ARB is on my Pajero. My Hilux' bumper was made by Desert Stormer in Worchestor, but I will try to measure it for you in if you want to, you will just have to give me a couple of days. :wink:

Maybe Eric (F_D) can measure his Nudgem as well. It might be closer to an ARB then mine.

P.S. If iHilux hasn't sold his Lux yet maybe he can measure his ARB or Riceburner also has a real ARB.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I can measure mine and give you dimensions. I fitted the NudgeM a couple of months ago because I couldn't really justify an additional R4k for the ARB Bullbar. The ARB is a nice BB, but totally over-priced for what you're getting.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Here are a link to the community forum where a friend of mine is busy building a bulbar and rocksliders for his Nissan. Check it out for more ideas.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=11502

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=11511
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi FD

what did you pay for the nudgem if i may ask?
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi CM,

I paid R5600 fitted & installed, including the manufacture of a special bracket so that I could still use the Hella Rallye 1000 spots, which would otherwise have been too big for the standard spot mounts.

-F_D

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Thanks FD

Still cheaper to build my own :mrgreen:
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

I hope this comes out... Ingenuity is not my strong point. I used Irfan View to put the measurements into Bennie's picture, but Irfanview is an image-viewing program more so than an image modification program.

I'm sure Bennie can edit it more suitably... :mrgreen:

-F_D
Attachments
Approx. NudgeM BB measurements for SFA Hilux
Approx. NudgeM BB measurements for SFA Hilux

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Looks fine to me :wink:

Tip: Import the pic into PowerPoint. Then you can use the drawing tools to add text blocks, lines arrows etc. When you finished, save as a JPG again. Just remember to use Infranview to compress it again as it the file will be rather large.

I do the same thing with MS Visio. I actually drew the bumper in Visio but with a little more time and patience I could have done the same in PowerPoint 8) 8)
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hay CM

That may just proove very usefull :mrgreen:

Return to “Build your own:”