george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Dual battery on my Hilux

Post by george »

I eventually finished with the installation of my dual battery system and aux wiring.

Basically what I did is to build a little "DB" board for my power.I get power from the battery(properly fused) connected to a relay that is switch by the ignition.I spliced into the cigarette lighter wire.There is also a toggle switch to disconnect power to the"DB" board.From there I can distribute the power to where I want it.VHF radio,DB system,extra hella plug in cab.I also used a relay that have a diode(I think).Apparently this works better and limits the risk of interfering with the bakkie's electrical system.

For my Dual Battery system I used a Cole Hersee switch.The switch get its power from the "DB" board and I used welding cable to connect the 2 batteries.There is also 2x 50 amp inline fuses for protection.In the back of the bakkie is my portable battery box.There is also 2x hella plugs on the battery box
This time I ran a earth cable from the main battery :thumbup:

There is also another Aux point(fused) to power the fridge.I splices into the welding cables for this.
When the alternator is charging the reading is 14,15 volts and 14,13volts on the secondary battery.Not to bad I think.
All the connections is soldered and heat shrink or taped.
Now I need to get offroad and see if the system is working properly :thumbup:
1 (Custom).JPG
2 (Custom).JPG
3 (Custom).JPG
4 (Custom).JPG
5 (Custom).JPG
6 (Custom).JPG
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Re: Dual battery on my Hilux

Post by Numbnut »

I heard somewhere that if you place a deep cycle battery in your vehicle then you don't need a dual battery system!
Is this true??

Thx
Daniel
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

hi Daniel.
You need 2x batteries.While you are driving both is being charged and when you are standing still your fridge runs from the second battery.Thus you can not drain your main battery
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Numbnut
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Vredenburg
Vehicle: '03 Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4; Wilderness Offroad Camping Trailer

Post by Numbnut »

When I go camping I run a 80l Luna fridge and still charge my lanterns and mp3 players, all on a normal battery. I have as of yet
never had a flat battery, but I also must say that I start up the vehicle every morning and let it idle for about 5 -10 min!
Everything Works Better When It Is Properly Lubricated...!!!

Return to “Build your own:”