Leeuwenboschfontein

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux SFADC
Club VHF Licence: X25

Leeuwenboschfontein

Post by Maniac »

A group of us stayed over at Leeuwenboschfontein Guest Farm near Montague the past week-end.The accomodation and trail are rated in the top 10 in the country by Drive Out magazine,and comes highly reccomended.We were not dissapointed.
There are 3 trails basically built into one.It starts by meandering up the side of the mountain to a beautiful lookout chalet,Gods Window ,hanging off the top of the mountain.There are facilities to braai,with spectacular 360 deg views.
From here you go down some really steep ,tight turn decents,in a loop,then backtracking back up to the lookout chalet.

This trail has it all. Steep accents. Steep descents. Cross-axles. Side slope cambers
Low range and good ground clearance are recommended,rear lockers will assist and both lockers will make the steep climbs a lot easier.
The trail has been very well looked after,and in area's where serious wheel spin would occur,these area's have been supported with rocks held together by wire mesh.
If i am not mistaken ,this trail was the first in SA to get the approval after an Environmental Impact Study was done by Nature Conservation.
Trail Difficulty Rating : I would say between a 2 - 4 , but should it be raining or snowing,bordering on a 5 on a few sections
Our trail group vehicles :
Hilux 2,2
Land Cruiser 4,5 Petrol
Triton 3,2 diesel
Prado diesel
Colt 3lt V6
Land Cruiser diesel

Check out their website : http://www.leeuwenboschfontein.co.za
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Me playing in an "off limits" area that is not part of the trail. There is a nice donga / riverbed type play area as seen below
ImageImage

Friend's LC getting rid of some Atlantis Dunes sand

93 D/C Hilux Not 4Y, 33" Bighorns, 29 MHz, OME 3" Lift
No Ditch Too Deep, No Hill Too High!!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Leeuwenboschfontein

Post by Mud Dog »

Nice pics Manie! :thumbup: .... Love the forum sticker :wink: .... and the trail looks really interesting, my kind of terrain, even though I don't have lockers! :D: Very scenic and the chalets look great with their all round views.
I will make a note of this trail and hopefully get an opportunity to visit it. :P
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Love the pics Manie! Your lux is looking so cool! I'm jealous!

B :thumbup:
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Mud Dog wrote:Nice pics Manie! :thumbup: .... Love the forum sticker :wink: .... and the trail looks really interesting, my kind of terrain, even though I don't have lockers! :D: Very scenic and the chalets look great with their all round views.
I will make a note of this trail and hopefully get an opportunity to visit it. :P
I did it in the dry without lockers, I must say my wife started sniffling a few times because of the shear drops! Definitely worth your while and awesome views, I loved it.
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It's on my "to do list" for when I come and visit the 'Kaapies' .... whenever that will be. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Manie, is the "back trail" from the lookout to the eastern edge of the farm open? It was closed when we were there as the track was washed away completely in places, so we could not do it. :shock: :shock:

Gotta love the people on that farm, warm, welcoming and very friendly! This trail is really worth a visit.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
wacky
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996 dc raider 2,4

Post by wacky »

Trail look very interesting ,my kinda stuff.yes very nice rig there manie. :thumbup:
Maniac
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux SFADC
Club VHF Licence: X25

Post by Maniac »

Thys it is open. They maintain that trail better than I do my vehicles :oops:

The "ruff" bits in the photo's are not part of the official trail, but we nagged oom Wessel for more playspots, so he showed us the "off limits" areas where the owner and his two sons normally play.
93 D/C Hilux Not 4Y, 33" Bighorns, 29 MHz, OME 3" Lift
No Ditch Too Deep, No Hill Too High!!!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Nice Trail Report Mannie, love the Peekchaz :thumbup: :P :P

I'm doing this one sooooon, can't wait :mrgreen:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Must say your vehicle looks the part! Very nice :thumbup:
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Fortuner 4x4

Post by Tsa »

Howdy All, Thanks for the write up Maniac.

Just doing a follow up on this one. Will be going to Leeuwenboschfontein soon and wanting some clarity on the route. From what I understand it is 1 route up (about grade 3?) and then a different one down which borders on grade 5 in wet conditions? BUT the down route also has other loops which are about grade 4? In short if you going up you will have a harder route to negotiate going down?

We have a few inexperienced drivers going with and would rather be safe than sorry. I am also not well versed on the rocks and heights thing :) Closest I have done to this would be Helderberg(2 Oceans) route.
Warrior
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 08 Vigo 4x4 d/c 4.0L auto
Club VHF Licence: X138

Post by Warrior »

New management. A bit more rocky than in the past. Watch out for side wall dammage. Still able to do the whole route without diff lock. One or two uphills that will test the nerves. Look-out is amazing. Take wood and braai a worsie before returning to camp. One of our favourite camp sites.
Tsa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Fortuner 4x4

Post by Tsa »

Thanks Warrior. I have learnt in the meantime that the up and down when just going to the look-out point is the same road. So if not wanting to do the loops you will just contend with the steep downhill sections on the way down again.
Warrior
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 08 Vigo 4x4 d/c 4.0L auto
Club VHF Licence: X138

Post by Warrior »

Yes one road up and down Richard. Downhill is a pleasure and nothing to worry about - lots of good traction.
It always feels too easy going down compared to going up - maybe it has something to do with the customary braai at the top with a lemonade or two :shh: :twisted:
You wont be disappointed :thumbup:
Pumba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC112

Post by Pumba »

Adult nappy's nodig vir die move wat daai Cruiser daar trek :surrender: :bye:
Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it." Mark 10:27(Message)

Return to “Trip Reports”