Killarney 4x4 Trip Report 14 - 16 June 2019

Tell us about your recent trip. Please add some photographs.
Odin
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Uvongo
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 4.0 V6, D/C, A/T, 4x4

Killarney 4x4 Trip Report 14 - 16 June 2019

Post by Odin »

Killarney 4x4 Trip Report
So I went to Killarney 4x4 for my first 4x4 trip in my new Lux. :yahoo:
So let me begin from the beginning Friday 7 June 2019 I asked on the forum if some guys want to join me on the trip from the 14 – 16 June 2019 and did not get any response accept for Haboob that is going to join me for another trip in August 2019.

Don’t stress I am not in a disappointed about the above I know it was short notice and the middle of the month so it’s no biggie. :cooldude:

So Friday afternoon I got off early from work and pack my van but was that a issue the armadillo cover take a lot of space but managed to fit it all, Got my wife and 3 year old in the van and we were off the fill the tank because after my trip to The Supa Drift Series at Dezzy Race way my Vehicle was on half a tank fuel so stopped at BP wanting to fill up my van and eventually to my surprise I had to stop the attendant at 86L filled in not knowing I had a long range tank in my van but nevertheless we were off after Paying R1400 for the fuel. :shock2:

Had a nice calming drive to Killarney 4x4 after a busy work day with beautiful scenery all the way up until the gravel road entrance where is stopped and to deflate my tyres and ensure that everything is still fine for the gravel road ahead as I assumed that there would be corrugations on the road ahead.

After the check we resumed the drive and too my surprise there was no corrugations but steep up and down climbs with the most beautiful scenery as the gravel road turned into a mountain pass. :clap:

Upon our arrival to Killarney 4x4 we were a bit late for book in but the lady named Estelle told us to go ahead and setup camp and we would do the book in the Saturday morning so we proceeded to the camp grounds and too our surprise there was not even one other camper there. :o:

So we proceeded to select an area to setup camp and finally found a place close to the ablution facilities as well as just next to the one muddy part of the Trail with lots of trees for shade and we started the setup of camp seeing that we do not have a roof top tent we setup the normal 6-man tent that we own with a gazebo for extra shade and started to kook our first meal at the camp ground and went to bed as they advised us that there is no 4x4 allowed on the trail at night. :blackeye:

After a unexpectedly cold night we awoke to the most beautiful sunrise and we started the daily routine for the camp, Making coffee, making breakfast and cleaning ourselves up for the fun day ahead and all of a sudden I remembered that we needed wood for the Saturday dinner and ice for the meat in the cooler box.

As I were pondering the solution to this issue above mentioned Estelle arrived to book us in where we paid less than I thought we would for the stay and the use of the trails and as she handed me the map for the 4x4 trails and she advised me on the routes that would best suite my vehicle and the routes to stay away from seeing that we were only one vehicle with no recovery gear except the tow strap and she also advised that they do 4x4 training there as well and that they also sell wood and ice too my relief and I immediately ordered 3 bags of wood and 2 bags of Ice.

After the book in was complete we got in too my Van and we were off to complete the trails.

The trail that we followed had 5 river crossing and a beautiful scenery as we were driving in the gorge and then continued on top of the mountain and returning to camp and during the course of this route we encounter some very mild obstacles as well as so interesting obstacles were we had to get out and inspect the obstacle first.

That route that we took, took about 4 hours to complete from start to finish and there after we passed the camp heading to the play area as we were in the mood for some challenging obstacles and wanted to get some more pictures as seen below.

After completing the play area where I was surprised due to the vehicle being more capable than I thought it would be and then we encounter an ostrich that seemed to enjoy the show as it looked like it was cheering us on at the time but after further research we found out that it was just mating dance.

We returned to camp and started our perpetration for the dinner of the night and had a nice calm and quite evening around the fire and went to bed seeing that there was still no other camper on the grounds.

Sunday morning after good night’s rest we started our morning routine again and afterwards we sadly had to pack up and load my van for the trip back home.

During our pack to my spite there came in 6 off-road bikes and 4 4x4 vehicle looking to compete the trails and I so badly wanted to join them but we had to continue the pack up for the drive back home and to be in time for dinner.

Overall our experience at the camp was very nice and quiet but was just a bit lonely and the experience on the trail was excellent even so that I still just want to go back and stay there permanently.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d0d172cbcd ... WA0035.mp4

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Odin on Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Re: Killarney 4x4 Trip Report 14 - 16 June 2019

Post by Baasvark »

What a beautiful trail! Looks like you had fun!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Great report Hendrik, it certainly does appear to be a beautiful place, looking at your pics.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Odin
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Uvongo
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 4.0 V6, D/C, A/T, 4x4

Post by Odin »

Hi yes we did have fun and yes it is a very beautiful place ill try to go back maybe desember month if there is someone to go with as i would love to try there more advanced trails
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Lekker Man. Glad you enjoyed it.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Lekker! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Trip Reports”