FUDGES
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: D4D 3.0l

What shovel

Post by FUDGES »

Hi Guys

Maybe this is a dumb question but what shovel do you guys use for recovery Ive got a square one but read today the say the round type is beter but didnt gave any reasons?

What would you say :problem:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Re: What shovel

Post by zepplin »

If you have nothing else even a frying pan will be best :twisted:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

AJ, I have both, but imo the round large one is better.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

zepplin wrote:a frying pan will be best
OOOOMS wrote:the round large one is better.
You see,,,,,,,,,only the best advice on this forum.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
FUDGES
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by FUDGES »

Clever one Zepplin :clap: :clap:
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

I use the rounded "skopgraaf" shape, because the deeper shovel and angle of the handle makes it much easier to move volumes of sand from under the vehicle without bending over as much.
Last edited by swartvark on Tue May 04, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Well let's look at it this way .... you're most unlikely to ever gonna be shovelling mud, less likely stones or rocks. The only time I've ever used one was in sandy conditions, so the way I see it is that there is no need for a pointed shovel to break ground. A flat ended builder's spade moves sand quickly and with ease, also it can double as a skillet if you left your braai grid behind somewhere (obviously one would wash and burn it clean first). I bought a fold-up patrol spade some years ago ... never used it and don't even know where it is any more ... probably packed underneath some other stuff that never gets used, in some corner of the garage or workshop.

To answer your question then, I reckon it's a matter of personal choice ... for me, a builder's spade will do just fine, thanks. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Hehe....I got my little fold up shovel as a gift about 3 years ago. It's been taking up space in one of my camping boxes, but has never been used.
I'm sure there are hundreds of these un-used little shovels traveling all over Africa every year.
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

The square spade is good for digging toilet holes, gives them nice and square sides. :twisted: :twisted: They also good for chroming and hanging in the foyer of some gov't building. :twisted: :twisted:

For recoveries use the rounded shovel. It removes more dirt at a time than a square one. :thumbup: :thumbup:

But then again, in case of emergency, any old digging tool will do... even the cubby-hole lid of some Land Rover.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Sure the 'bull-nose' shovel or 'scoop' as it's sometimes nick-named moves more dirt, but there's another so-far unmentioned advantage that the square nose builder's spade has over it ..... it lies a lot flatter and is therefore easier to pack with less wasted space. :wink:

Oh, and that bull-nose shovel can get quite heavy to swing continuously, and tiring for some of us light-weights! :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I dont know why we even discussing this... Hilux's dont get stuck, and the oke with the Landy can dig out his own truck.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

ThysdJ wrote:I dont know why we even discussing this... Hilux's dont get stuck, and the oke with the Landy can dig out his own truck.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:lol: :lol:
True .... it's like I said, I've only once ever needed a spade in soft beach sand. :wink:

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Thys... it's always polite to carry a few Land Rover recovery items... just in case!

Us Hilux okes are so considerate!
truckin
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2006 2.7VVTI Hilux SRX Single Cab 4x4

Post by truckin »

Hi wel, i dont know what shovel is the best for recovery because i drive a HILUX we dont get stuck (much) but if we do there's alwayse another HILUX to help with a tug, That said, I dont like these small "camping shovels" i use a normal "wood handle" square shovel u can buy at any hardware store, i sharpend the 1 edge so it can dubble as a bushwacker when the need arises, it does every job with ease, poopscoop (at home for my dogs) ,coalscoop, digging the odd hole, clearing small bushes and branches ex ex ex,
“The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.”

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. - Not screaming like all the passengers in his car -
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:I dont know why we even discussing this... Hilux's dont get stuck, and the oke with the Landy can dig out his own truck.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:lol: :lol:
True .... it's like I said, I've only once ever needed a spade in soft beach sand. :wink:
How deep did you dig that makeshift lavatory? :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I actually should have dug a shjit-pit Cassie, because I could have kukked myself right there ..... and kicked myself for making a stupid error that even a novice would make, but that's what comes from being too confident and making poor judgements (overestimating yourself). :wink:

Toybox
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilex
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by Toybox »

Before my trip to Bots last year I bought a medium sized square shovel. I must admit I didn't give the metter much thought, just walked into Midas and picked out.

Anywho at one point, you can't believe, I got stuck in a river/wetland crossing. Both diffs sitting solidly on the mud. After much swearing and just about drowning trying to get under the car to dig out the mud we decided it would be better to jack the car up and pack logs into the holes the wheels had sunk into. Of course when we tried to use the hilift jack the base of the jack disappeared into the mud... Admittedly I've never gotten around to buying/making a base plate for the jack, but (and the point of the story) it turns out that a medium square shovel turned upside-down makes an excellent base plate!
FUDGES
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by FUDGES »

Thanks for all the advice on something I thought was a dumb question you okes are the best :thumbup: :thumbup:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Die Britse weermag se bull shovel ontwerp is onverander vanaf 1911 tot vandag. Rede, dit werk (of hulle het te veel gekoop in 1910).

Know what you don't know.
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Post by Gunta »

I carry the standard builders square spade on my roofrack. I have only ever used it for camping and clearing the campsite.
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
giliomee
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4

Post by giliomee »

Don't buy the fold up one. it breaks your back and is to short to scrape out the coles from the fire. Square one is very versatile.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I got 10 folding shovels from a shop that is closing. 5 small ones and 5 large ones.
I added it to the shop at
http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/theshop/index ... ex&cPath=3

This is a once off, i wont get more stock once these are finished
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

R60 - R65 dis 'n winskoop :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

OOOOMS wrote:R60 - R65 dis 'n winskoop :thumbup:
http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/theshop/index ... ex&cPath=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ja, ek maak nie eintlik iets op dit nie, help net om van die stock ontslae te raak
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Jitte Piet,

wil jy he die ouens moet 'Brokeback Shovelling' doen?

Nee wat, ek ry sommer een werksgraaf saam - gewone lang steel, goed gebruikte vierkant kop en mooi helder pienk geverf, om dit beter te kan sien my kind!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ek gooi die een sommer agter die sitplek in vir daai dag wat iemand die groot graaf van die bakkie afgehaal het, die opvou een werk beter as die kaal hand, net so vir ingeval :cool:
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

I also prefer the square one.Much stronger and dont need a strongman to opperate.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
anthonyhugo
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2003 KZ-TE 4x4 D/C

Post by anthonyhugo »

eish ek moet ook nou 'n graaf koop maar kan nie besluit of ek die ronde kop op platkop moet kry nie..............

miskien moet ek maar net 'n coin flip??? :)

kan julle my asb. advies gee vir 'n byl ook? soek 'n ou 'n lang handvatsel of kort handvatsel as jy in die bundu is?

groetnis
ant
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Anthony, jy kry ook 'n medium byl so tussen die twee, maar as ek so kies tussen die klein een en die groot een sou ek gaan vir die kleiner een!

But then again, bigger is better :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hier is 'n link waar ons byle bespreek het, mag dalk help?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12301&p=146042&hil ... xe#p146042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anthonyhugo
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by anthonyhugo »

dankie oooms, ek neig sterk na die medium size byl, was net bang ek kom daar aan met my klein byl dan lag die ouens vir my hehehe

weet julle of 'n ou erens nog daai 1950 jeep GRAWE kan kry? daai nices wat jy kan omdraai met die pik steel aan die een kant?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

As jy nie bome gaan afkap nie vat 'n ordentlike klein byl. Ek kap baie hout vir vuurmaak en glo my jy kap nie lekker hout met 'n groot byl nie. 'n Klein byl gaan jou ook tot 'n mate help as jy moet pad bou. Het 'n groot byl al 6 jaar lank en nog net 1 keer gebruik, het twee klein byltjies en gebruik ten minste een van hulle amper elke naweek.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Yes, ek het ook net so 'n klein geel byltjie wat ek gebruik. 'n Grote is overkill, en vat net baie spasie op. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

anthonyhugo
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by anthonyhugo »

pietpetoors wrote:As jy nie bome gaan afkap nie vat 'n ordentlike klein byl. Ek kap baie hout vir vuurmaak en glo my jy kap nie lekker hout met 'n groot byl nie. 'n Klein byl gaan jou ook tot 'n mate help as jy moet pad bou. Het 'n groot byl al 6 jaar lank en nog net 1 keer gebruik, het twee klein byltjies en gebruik ten minste een van hulle amper elke naweek.
baie dankie dit maak baie sin, ek gaan maar 'n gemaklike klein byl kry, nog a vragie, gee parkeraad julle nie moeilikheid as hulle jou byl op jou roof rack sien nie? mens mag mos nie hout kap by baie plekke nie, ek wonder of ek my byl moet roof mount of agter erens wegsteek.........
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Ander opsie as 'n byl is 'n lekker machete.

Know what you don't know.
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

Groot byl :thumbdown: wat te veel spasie, niks fout met n klein byl :thumbup: nie, jy kan hom beter hanteer.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

anthonyhugo wrote:
pietpetoors wrote:As jy nie bome gaan afkap nie vat 'n ordentlike klein byl. Ek kap baie hout vir vuurmaak en glo my jy kap nie lekker hout met 'n groot byl nie. 'n Klein byl gaan jou ook tot 'n mate help as jy moet pad bou. Het 'n groot byl al 6 jaar lank en nog net 1 keer gebruik, het twee klein byltjies en gebruik ten minste een van hulle amper elke naweek.
baie dankie dit maak baie sin, ek gaan maar 'n gemaklike klein byl kry, nog a vragie, gee parkeraad julle nie moeilikheid as hulle jou byl op jou roof rack sien nie? mens mag mos nie hout kap by baie plekke nie, ek wonder of ek my byl moet roof mount of agter erens wegsteek.........
Anthony, My byl is 'n handbyl en hy pas mooi onder die bestuurder se sitplek so dis waar ek myne ry. Dan is hy altyd naby as ek moet pad maak of hout kap vir vuur!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Johan Marais
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bere sommer die klein byl onder sie sitplek.....lyk nie goed oppi dak nie... :lol: :lol: :lol:
anthonyhugo
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by anthonyhugo »

kwaai ek het nou net die shop se opvou byl gekoop vir "backup" :)

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/theshop/index ... ucts_id=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

donner nou is ek reg vir die bundus! hehe
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Ek het n klein byl in die ammo box.

Het Saterdag n "ronde" graaf gekoop, sal dit binnekort monteer.
Foksie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Fortuner 4x4

Post by Foksie »

Kyk bietjie na die graaf. http://www.doubleshovel.co.za/index_files/Page496.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Recovery Equipment”