Some useful articles on doing it yourself
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

4x4 Axle configurations

Post by BenHur »

In this article, I will discuss the 2 main types of axles in use in 4x4 vehicles today namely solid axles and independent axles. There are also a third type in use called portal axles but this configuration is used seldom, normally only in off-road trucks like the Mercedes Unimog truck, but I will not discuss them as they are not really relevant to the target audience of this article.

In all vehicles, the driving wheels are attached to axles that facilitate power delivery to the wheels. Most vehicles’ axles contain a differential in the centre of the axle to allow the differences in rotational speeds between the left and right wheels to be absorbed or cancelled out. This difference in speeds occur when the vehicle does not move in a straight line and the wheel inside the turn move slower due to a shorter path travelled compared to the outer wheel that travels a longer path.

The Differential is the centre portion of the axle and contains the following components:

The casing that holds all the pieces intact is called the diff carrier (G)

On imported differentials the triangular piece at the bottom of the picture including the diff mechanism (carrier, gears, pinion and bearings) can screw loose separately and this is called the 3rd-member.

The input shaft is called the pinion (A) and the gear at the end is called the pinion gear (B)

The rotation from the prop shaft that is connected to the pinion rotates the pinion gear which in turn drives the ring gear or crown wheel (C)

Attached to the crown wheel is the spider gears or sometimes called planetary gears (D)

The spider gears in turn drive the side gears and this is the heart of the differential system. This setup will allow rotational speed differences to be absorbed or cancelled out by the spider gears. If both wheels rotate at the same speed, then the spider gears stand still and the side gears and crown wheel turn in unison. A differential lock can be installed into the carrier which will lock the side gears and crown wheel together and will cause equal power transfer to both wheels, if one of them were to loose traction.

Read the article on http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm which explains differentials in more detail.

Check out these cool animations which show a differential while the vehicle is driving straight and when it is turning

http://static.howstuffworks.com/flash/differential.swf

The side gears drive the wheels via the side shafts. There are a few diff configurations in use.

The first is a solid rear axle also called a rear beam axle and does not have any rotational joints attached to the side shafts .

The side shaft covers or beams (H), the centre portion, also referred to as the pumpkin, and the wheel hubs (K) are one solid piece.

The next configuration is a solid front axle or front beam axle.

In this case the beams and the pumpkin is still a solid unit but at the ends there are swivel hubs that allows the steering wheels in front of the vehicle to be turned left or right.

In order to facilitate this turning movement in the side shaft while it is rotating, rotational joints (J) are placed at the ends of the side shafts and connects the stub axles to the side shafts. These joints can either be universal joints as used in DANA axles, Birfield joints as used in the Toyota solid front axles or constant velocity (CV) joints as used in most vehicles with independent front or rear suspension

The next configuration is a independent rear axle

In this configuration, the hubs and side shafts move independently from the pumpkin that is fixed to the vehicle, so it remains stationary while the wheels and side shafts move independently.

To be able to achieve this, two rotational joints (normally CV joints) are placed at the ends of the side shaft. The inner CV (I) connects the side shaft to the diff and the Outer CV (J) connects the side shaft to the sub axle.

In this configuration the side shafts are often exposed.

The next configuration is an independent front axle

The independent front axle works just as the independent rear axle, except that it also have swivel hubs at the ends like the solid front axle to facilitate steering of the vehicle.
Scotty
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: An SFA is in my future

Re: 4x4 Axle configurations

Post by Scotty »

Bennie, this is an excellent article, thanks for your efforts. Great graphics too. You are the man!!

Scotty
2009 X-Trail (great car, but not an SFA)
1997 Defender 90 2.8i (great vehicle, but not an SFA)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Nice one, Bennie, and congratulations on achieving your millenium (1000 posts :P )!!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Bennie wou net al ses sy sterre inkleur :mrgreen:

Very informative. This is what makes this forum so GREAT!

Thanks Bennie :!:
ImageImage
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Very informative article Bennie, thanks for putting in the time and effort to help. :D
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Scooter wrote:Very informative article Bennie, thanks for putting in the time and effort to help. :D
its a pleasure :wink:
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Nice Bennie, help the oukes like myself. Maybe the oukes that knows must write articals as if they are rebuilding a SFA and post it. Man that will be awsome.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Niel wrote:Nice Bennie, help the oukes like myself. Maybe the oukes that knows must write articals as if they are rebuilding a SFA and post it. Man that will be awsome.
As jy en Riaan Eric en Gordon nou virrie bulle begin skree kan ons altyd 'n plan maak :twisted:
Niel

Post by Niel »

Ek het mos na die Bennie bug op die forum losgelaat is :lol: :lol: Tel dit dan nie :?: 8)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Nee jy sal eers 'n deklarasie moet opstel en onderteken dat jy van nou af lewenslank 'n Bul/Blou Bul ondersteuner is en alle WP/Stormers affiliasies/bande onderbreek, afsweer ensovoorts, Plak dit hierop dan gesels ons weer. :twisted: :twisted:

ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

benhur wrote:
Niel wrote:Nice Bennie, help the oukes like myself. Maybe the oukes that knows must write articals as if they are rebuilding a SFA and post it. Man that will be awsome.
As jy en Riaan Eric en Gordon nou virrie bulle begin skree kan ons altyd 'n plan maak :twisted:
Bennie, ek ry eerder n Land Rover of n Nissan, of nog erger n Ford, voor
ek die Bulle support :twisted: Image
ImageImage
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Nope ek stoot eerder 'n Dacia bakkie voor EK die bulle support.. hehehehehe :D :D :D
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Niel

Post by Niel »

Kaspaas wrote:Nope ek stoot eerder 'n Dacia bakkie voor EK die bulle support
ToyX4 wrote:ek ry eerder n Land Rover of n Nissan, of nog erger n Ford, voor
ek die Bulle support
Daar sal gelukkig geen deklerasie wees nie ek sit en kyk eerder na n hilux en loop maar waar ek wil wees voor ek dit doen :lol: :lol: 8)
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by ToyX4 »

Piet gaan nog rugby praatjies op die site verbied.
Want die WP/Bulle oorlog 'hijack' die posts :oops:

Bennie, as jy wil moet jy dalk die "off topic oorlog" op jou thread net move na n ander plek.
Want jy het baie moeite gedoen met die artikel, nou word hy 'gehijack' :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Niel

Post by Niel »

Nog n idee, los dit as is en ons maak seker dat ons nie in die toekoms off topic gaan nie al word ons uitgelok om dit te doen.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Nee wat ek gee nie om nie maar julle het lyk my vir arme Kiggs wat van Uganda af is en seker nie eers Afrikaans verstaan verwilder met julle twak pratery in afrikaans, ek sien hy was nog nie terug nie :twisted:

Julle moet probeer onthou as ons internationale besoekers het (ek weet ek is ook skuldig) om die rooi taal te behou in hulle topics anders verstaan hulle nie :wink:

Return to “Useful Articles”