SFA with vibration on propshaft

Some useful articles on doing it yourself
bushman
Town: Sandton
Vehicle: 89 Hilux D/c

SFA with vibration on propshaft

Post by bushman »

I have a problem with a propshaft on my SFA which I have recently purchased, it has a very bad vibration in reverse and does not feel right when you pull away or under load going up a hill. It has raised suspension, does anyone know if the propshaft has to be spaced on the centre bearing as the angle has changed between the diff and centre bearing from the standard hight. The propshaft has been totally refurbished including the centre bearing, thanks.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: SFA with vibration on propshaft

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome to the forum Dennis! :thumbup:

When you say 'raised suspension' how much are we talking about? A lift of up to 120mm should have no side issues with prop shafts / universals. Some guys will lengthen the front shaft, but it's seldom neccesary. Dropping the carrier bearing mounting is usualy only done with major lift modifications. I would wonder if your problem doesn't perhaps have something to do with the diff pinion bearings or wheel hop from axle wrapping or even a plain old clutch shudder? :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

You say only in reverse or under load. I would say clutch or even engine / gearbox mountings.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Perhaps you should reverse up an incline so that the problem is present and have someone walk alongside and look to see if they can see anything. :think:

True, Mark. Could also be mountings ..... possibly even carrier bearing mountings not properly secured after the shaft was refurbished.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C
Club VHF Licence: N019

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

Hi Dennis
Have a look at the rubber inside the center bearing-housing surrounding, it may be damaged or torn.

Had the same problem on my IFS and replaced the center bearing twice before throwing it out and replaced the prop-shaft with one long solid prop-shaft

Okkie
123 WEG MP
2011 Hilux Vigo 3.0 D4D D/C
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

My SFA also used to shudder in reverse. Front engine mounting was broken. Replaced it and problem was gone.
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you

Return to “Useful Articles”