Some useful articles on doing it yourself
Rudi_C
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 99 Prado 3.4l V6 AT

5L Crank pulley - Help

Post by Rudi_C »

Ek het my bakkie ingestuur vir 'n major service, toe kry ek so bietjie slegte nuus by die werkswinkel bestuurder.

My crank pulley se gleuf of keyway of iets soos dit is gewear. Hulle se vir my dit was seker op 'n stadium los en met die compresie het dit seker hom gewear.

Nou die ding is 'n nuwe een is omtrent R2000, tweedehands is ek nie seker waar om een te kry nie, en om daai een na 'n engineering plek toe te vat weet ek nie of hulle hom sal kan weld en weer machine nie.

As enige iemand dalk vir my advies het sal ek dit baie wardeer.

Hulle het hom nou mooi styf vasgemaak en locktyte ingesit vir tyd en wyl, maar hulle het vir my gese dis maar net 'n tydlike oplossing, ek moet maar so gou moontlik 'n plan maak om of daai een reg te maak, of 'n ander een te kry. My enigste probleem op die stadium is, ek het die bakkie so week terug gekoop en het nou regtig nie veel geld oor na die koop nie, ek sal verkies om nie nou 'n kredietkaart nader te sleep nie.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 5L Crank pulley - Help

Post by Family_Dog »

Rudi, someone else posted on this same thing a few months ago. As I remember, he had it repaired by an Engineering company. I'm pretty sure it was on this forum...

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2009 Suzuki Jimny

Post by Dawid »

I've been through that excercise 2months ago. I heard a slight vibration and took the Hilux in for inspection. The key and pulley was also damaged. Fortunately the crank was fine. The mechanic and his 2 sons went searching for a second hand pulley. They were laughed at and terms like, "wit goud" & "hoender tande" were uttered. All of this after I threw my old one from the old 3L motor away end of last year!?

Anyway R2300-00 later, new pulley R1700 and labour, a new pulley was fitted. The mechanic said that most people would've put the old pulley back with some loctite, he will not.
2009 Suzuki Jimny (Mini Hilux)
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
Dawid
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2009 Suzuki Jimny

Post by Dawid »

Rudi, as daai ding los kom, maak hy jou crank se keyway ook seer. Dan is dit uit met die crank en jy gaan in elkgeval 'n nuwe pulley moet koop. Moenie kanse hier vat nie.
2009 Suzuki Jimny (Mini Hilux)
Ex-Hilux SFA 3.0D
Rudi_C
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Rudi_C »

Thanks for all your info, I really appreciate the input you guys have given.

To be honest I was hoping I could have it fixed properly at a reasonable cost. Today I have some time, I'll phone reputable motor engineering companies and find out if they're prepared to do it, and how they think it will last after fixing it.

I'll also try and find the post where someone had the same problem, maybe they have some info regarding the engineering route.
Rudi_C
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Rudi_C »

I phoned Allan Y Brink yesterday, they said they can't fix the cranl pulley. They can weld it up, but don't have anything to cut the keyway with, nothing will fit in there apparently.

So now it's back to searching for a secondhand one, or a reasonably priced new one. :(
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Anything man-made can be repaired by man. It's just a question of whether the time and outlay is worth it. There is absolutely no doubt that this can be repaired in a number of ways by a fully fledged engineering works. The easiest way I think, is to cut the old landings and key-way out and fit a newly machined one in it's place, which could be achieved with just a mill and a lathe. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Mud Dog wrote:Anything man-made can be repaired by man. It's just a question of whether the time and outlay is worth it. There is absolutely no doubt that this can be repaired in a number of ways by a fully fledged engineering works. The easiest way I think, is to cut the old landings and key-way out and fit a newly machined one in it's place, which could be achieved with just a mill and a lathe. :think:
I agree Andy,but at the rates these people work for....it might just not be worth it(cost effective)
This is a catch 22.....
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

That's why I said "It's just a question of whether the time and outlay is worth it."

However, it's a simple task to machine out the pulley-wheel to where the old keyway is almost removed, leaving just a little of it so as to locate the pulley in the correct position for the timing mark. Then machine a simple collet that's fractionally wedge shaped so that it actually tightens down on the key and crank with compression against the new surface on the pulley when bolted in place. Should'nt be more than about R600, ... a competent machinist would spit it out in perhaps a little over an hour, two at the most. :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Rudi_C
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Rudi_C »

Thanks again guys, you've now given me some hope again.

Monday I'm going to phone some more places, not just phone the one everyone recommended.

Any ideas of where to try, from the members in Pretoria?
2007 Nissan 1400 pickup

Ex - 1994 Suzuki Samurai
Ex - 1999 Prado VX 3.4 V6 AT
Ex - 1998 Hilux 3000D D/C 4x2 RB Raider
Looking for a 4x4 D/C IFS.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Rudi_C wrote:Any ideas of where to try, from the members in Pretoria?
Daar is n plek met die naam Spartan in JHB naby die lughawe met die naam Renjohn, hulle het al redelik werk vir my gedoen wat van die hoogste gehalte was. Hulle doen micro welding, ek het al n paar cranks by hulle laat op weld asook n crank pully. Dit is al n hele ruk terug, hulle weld eintlik die turbine blades van choppers en groot plains so n Hilux pully is nie n pyn nie. Hulle het net gehuil oor die die pully want hy het mos n damper in (stuk rubber tussen die binne en buite ring van die pully, maar hulle het dit gedoen en die key way op die crank en die pully weer in gesny. Nie een van die jobs het ooit n probleem gegee nadat hulle die werk gedoen het nie. Die ouens is baie pro en weet wat hulle doen, ek kan nie eers ont hou hoe het ek aaan hulle gekom nie. Jy sal hulle in die boek of by navrae kry. Hoop jy wen :wink:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Opweld en machineing klink als goed en wel MAAR gaan die pulley weer gebalanseerd wees? Ek moet tog eendag die storie vertel wat 'n baie ou 'mechaniec' my vertel het oor die invloed wat balans op 'n roterende ligaam het.

Nie my gunsteling nie, maar probeer gerus Gemini spares in JHB, hulle voer ook Toy parte direk in, 011 334 1417.

Of enige va die:
A1 Bakkie Spares 012 327 2355
Toyota Bakkie Spares 012 379 8790
Deon' Auto 012 335 4199
N1 4x4 012 545 0200
Wannenburgs 012 546 0050
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Thabogrobler wrote:Opweld en machineing klink als goed en wel MAAR gaan die pulley weer gebalanseerd wees?
Jy dink nie dalk dat dit n outomatiese ding is as dit jou besigheid is om turbine blades te doen vir choppers en vliegtuie nie, ja die ouens doen alles. :shh: :shh: :shh:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:D I seriously doubt that any manufacturers of commercial vehicles bother to ballance crank pulleys. These are not performance motors and would battle to reach 6000 rpm. That coupled with a fan belt tension, hardly deems it significant. In fact I've seen so many that don't actually even run true, with a plainly visible buckle or hop. These things are not machined but simply cast or even pressed steel. :think: :wink:

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Spartan wrote:
Thabogrobler wrote:Opweld en machineing klink als goed en wel MAAR gaan die pulley weer gebalanseerd wees?
Jy dink nie dalk dat dit n outomatiese ding is as dit jou besigheid is om turbine blades te doen vir choppers en vliegtuie nie, ja die ouens doen alles. :shh: :shh: :shh:
Mmmmmm...good point, MAAR onthou, daai oulike damper rubber! Rubber + Hitte= niks lekker nie!

Skryf maar net van my ondervinding - ws deur dieselfde oefening so maand terug met die Isooz - en die ding het nogsteeds 'n vibrasie!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

Mud Dog wrote:That's why I said "It's just a question of whether the time and outlay is worth it."

However, it's a simple task to machine out the pulley-wheel to where the old keyway is almost removed, leaving just a little of it so as to locate the pulley in the correct position for the timing mark. Then machine a simple collet that's fractionally wedge shaped so that it actually tightens down on the key and crank with compression against the new surface on the pulley when bolted in place. Should'nt be more than about R600, ... a competent machinist would spit it out in perhaps a little over an hour, two at the most. :think:
I attempted this fix on my old L28 Nissan and found that the keyway was now so shallow and the "collar" even after being brazed into place inside the pulley, just pulled loose and started spinning around inside the pulley. That action did not take long to damage the crank keyway which collapsed to the one side. They quoted me 8K to fix in 92 with a new crank and pulley.

I made a new collar. Took out more from the pulley key way to exaggerate the size and enlarged the crank key way on the car without taking the motor out (done with a hack saw :crazy: ). The keyway now came out the front of the crank instead of the small half moon key. Made a new key out of some flat bar that was over sized and too long. The idea was that as the big washer pulled tight up to the pulley the key would ride up the back of the keyway and wedge tight. The problem is that you just about only have one chance to do this if it is too tight. Mine was tight enough that after it wedged, I could not seat the washer properly as the key was still sticking out the back by nearly 2mm :o: .... I had to grind it flush with a little left to insure the pressure from the washer was kept up, and do it on the car as I could not get the setup off with a wheel puller or any other method usually used. That pulley was tight for life. I sold the car 3 years later with it that way.

Really not the best way to do it as it could turn out causing big damage. The pulley came off the first time at around 9000RPM at 185 in 3rd gear and ripped the half the front of the car off. I know you don't do those revs or speeds with a Lux, but these vehicles carry us and our families into remote places where you can't afford to have a unreliability. At least around town here you can call a friend or a tow trucker, I Bots that is not so easy... That pulley with the rubber damper is only effective to around 6500RPM when new. As the rubber gets older the damper gets softer and more prone to going off balance at lower revs. (an advantage of a diesel I suppose :twisted: )

I would really say go with the new part and get this thing sorted properly. A crank repair is nearly new engine price....

My2c
Later....
David
Hillbilly
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Rudi
Hoe lyk die crank se key way is dit nog ok? Vra maar net want hier is baie opinies.

Baie jammer dat ek jou post gehi-jack het om te probeer sê waar ek al goeie diens gekry.
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Rudi_C
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Rudi_C »

Jaco ek glo die crank se keyway behoort nog ok te lyk, die werkswinkel bestuurder het niks daarvan gese nie.

Dis glad nie 'n probleem nie, ek dink nie jy het die thead gehijack nie, daar het darem nou skielik baie mense begin respond op wat ek nodig het om te weet.

Thanks for all the responses so far, I really think I'm a lot closer to being able to make an informed decision on something I knew nothing of.

The wonders of the internet :clap:
Dankie aan almal so ver
Rudi_C
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Rudi_C »

Thabogrobler wrote:Nie my gunsteling nie, maar probeer gerus Gemini spares in JHB, hulle voer ook Toy parte direk in, 011 334 1417.

Of enige va die:
A1 Bakkie Spares 012 327 2355
Toyota Bakkie Spares 012 379 8790
Deon' Auto 012 335 4199
N1 4x4 012 545 0200
Wannenburgs 012 546 0050
Baie dankie Thabo, die is nou presies wat enige iemand wat in Pretoria bly wat 'n Hilux ry nodig het, ek sal somer nou dadelik die bladsy bookmark vir die toekoms.
2007 Nissan 1400 pickup

Ex - 1994 Suzuki Samurai
Ex - 1999 Prado VX 3.4 V6 AT
Ex - 1998 Hilux 3000D D/C 4x2 RB Raider
Looking for a 4x4 D/C IFS.

Return to “Useful Articles”