Advice to the new 4x4 campers.

Some useful articles on doing it yourself
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Advice to the new 4x4 campers.

Post by Harold »

OK. - So you got your Hilux, your rooftop tent, and everything necessary for the vehicle, most of which you don’t really need – but to late you have paid for it.

Now comes the next step buying the camping gear. This can be a “VERY EXPENSIVE” step if you do not “hou kop”. Head for the camper suppliers and the sales guys rub there hands in glee – “Here comes another sucker.”

Before you set foot in any ‘Outdoor Centre’ or ‘Camping Shop’ think carefully what you need. Think! What is the difference to living at home to camping?

Lets go through the basics:
1. Bedding: You can buy expensive down sleeping bags or take your sheets and duvet that you use at home. If camping in sub-zero temperatures you will also need that warm fluffy blanket that you have in the linen cupboard.

2. Clothing: No discussion needed, what ever you decide to take it is too much; especially the ladies. Be prepared for wet conditions. Camping is fun when it is dry but lousy if it rains. Buy a 3-man dome tent, which you can use if it rains; at least it is a shelter to sit in and eat in.

3. The kitchen: In spite of what the camping salesman shows you, everything you need you have at home.

4. Camping furniture: Once again most of what you need you have at home; folding table and chairs, a gas cooker, pots and pans, etc, A word of advice: avoid plastic chairs if you are going to camp in very cold conditions. Plastic gets brittle in the cold and easily breaks.

Before you rush off and spend mega bucks do a few short camping trips and see how it goes, then decide what you need. Camping should be easy and fun with ‘easy’ been the operative word. If it takes more than 30 minutes to set up, or break camp, you are doing it all wrong.

If you are the ‘sometimes’ weekend camper you do not need 12v fridges, sand ladders, winches, jerry cans and all the paraphernalia that the 4x4 magazines tell you are necessities. However if you are a new camper deciding on an extended overland trip get advise on what you really need; anything else is extra weight and a waste of money.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Advise to the new 4x4 campers.

Post by Scooter »

Couldn't agree more. People and that includes myself tend to take more than necessary with justifying it by saying "Rather be prepared for anything", well I think a well planned checklist is the answer. Even though most of us would love to go where no man has gone before and not plan the trips itinery, unfortunately for me time is of the essence and a well planned trip, wether a weekend or a month is also of utmost importance.

As a seasoned camper and caravaner, I learnt from an early age that with only a few great products, a great time can be had by all.

4x4 asside, I have always got along happily enough with a good canvas dome tent (I find the extra expense to be worth while in the long run), a few folding chairs and these good quality again as I tend to find that cheaper ones have Murphy on their side and I will always tend to spend more time in them. :lol:
A good cast iron skillet or if you prefer gas, a skottel, you can never go wrong and can cook almost anything between the two.
Standard untensils work as well as the overpriced ones that have 4x4 stamped on them and that goes for most camping gear.

Anyway, just M2cW, happy camping :D
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

Return to “Useful Articles”