Some useful articles on doing it yourself
Montie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux & Prado

Batterye, lewensduurte, discharges!!

Post by Montie »

Baie intersante artikel! Ek het altyd geding 10.2V is die laagste toelaatbare Volts, al is dit 'n Deep Cycle!

https://batteriesonline.co.za/depth-of-discharge/
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Batterye, lewensduurte, discharges!!

Post by Mud Dog »

Interesting. However, let me just add that on my solar lights systems which I built about 4 or 5 years ago I set my controllers to cut out at 11.2V battery charge. Admittedly the four different modules (each consisting of panels, a controller and two 108 A hr medium cycle batteries) didn't discharge to that level very often .... mostly in winter and maybe where one had a few consecutive days of heavy overcast in summer. This affected mostly the outside lighting that ran all night (two of the four modules). Those same original batteries are still going but are now due for replacement. Not bad considering the service period and that they cycle daily with the occasional discharge to the 11.2V cut off point.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: Batterye, lewensduurte, discharges!!

Post by Stef »

Very similar to Lithiums...one could discharge further on Lithium's though i.e for a 3S setup each 3.7V one would charge to 4V per cell ,so slight overcharge which would impact the cycles and one could discharge to 9.9V ie 3.3V per cell, some push it to 2.8V per cell but of course that would also impact the life cycle.

Another thing to keep in mind is the discharge rate for example C/20 where C is capacity in Ah; so if a 100Ah battery has a discharge rate of C/20 that would yield 5A which it would supply for a good 18 - 20 hrs, but 100A from the same battery gives you maybe 20 minutes as opposed to the theoretical 1 hour. This curve is much worse for lead acid batteries than Lithium, but also depends on manufacturer etc.

Return to “Useful Articles”