Some useful articles on doing it yourself
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Swivel Hub Seal Kits !

Post by Scooter »

For those of you living in JHB or surrounds and looking to overhaul your swivel hub seals, here's some usefull information on sourcing them. Even having them bought and sent to you elsewhere will be cheaper than OE.

Toyota will charge you +-R1700 :shock: for a swivel hub seal kit consisting of a few seals that IMO are not worth the money. You will howeve have to buy certain seals from the OE distributors and they are definately worth the money.

Back to the swivel hub kit. A 'GENERIC' kit containing the exact same arrangement of seals as the OE kit for a price of R350 :D (called to confirm) can be sourced from:

GEMINI PARTS
(011) 3341417

104 Frederick Str

I have attached a pdf of the Toyota parts sheet as well as the pricing for the OE kit.
The oval markers are the seals that come in the kit from Gemini and the rectangular markers are the parts you need to buy from Toyota. :confused:

Recap : OVAL - Gemini Parts
RECTANGULAR - Toyota OE Parts

In some instances OE seals are better and as you will see I have suggested buying the bearing seals and axle seals from Toyota. I compared the two kits and found the generic to be of the same quality as the OE.

After sourcing the parts, please refer to Syron Conversions thread on overhauling the front axle and contact any one on the forum who has done it before should you run into trouble.

Happy overhauling :!:
front axle.pdf
(134.89 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Re: Swivel Hub Seal Kits !

Post by ToyX4 »

Thanks Scott.

I need to do mine. The parts you marked are all that is needed for the overhaul, right?
ImageImage
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The marked parts are all that is needed unless you intend replacing the bearings as well.
If so then just look at the pic and get the correct codes for the bearings. It will be cheaper to get from bearing man or the like though as OE bearings are ridiculously pricy.

But if you only intend to re-pack the bearings as I did then the marked parts are all.

Happy overhauling. :D
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Duwayne
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 89 Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4 - 3Y & '92 Hilux D/Cab 4x4 2.7i

Post by Duwayne »

Hi all - I went to Toyota in Stellenbosch today to get a quote on the seals as marked in rectangles. Gave them the drawing as the part numbers are not full Toy #no. Awaiting Gemini's quote still then i can post info as well. Know price is R350 odd, just thought to make it more formal for all to use.
Still trying to figure out how to make document smaller to post, but here is info in the mean time. Pricing excl VAT:

90214 42030 - Washer, Claw @ R28.33
90311 62001 - Seal, Oil @ R104.85
90215 42025 - Washer @ R16.29
90311 33085 - Seal Oil @ R27.60
43531 60010 - Gasket @ R28.83
90520 31007 - Ring, Shaft Snap @ R19.70
43532 60010 - Ring @ R50.54

Unfortunately they did not cross reference it for me so not too sure which go with the original drawing :oops:
So, Total incl Vat for both sides for the Toy items (Rectangle) is R629.60
D
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

I paid about the same for toyota parts, cost me R2400 Gautneg
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Duwayne,

Try posting it as a PDF file, which you can convert from a normal Word Doc by using, for eg, PDF Creator (free software).

Otherwise, send it to one of the mods (PM for an email address) and we'll do it for you.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

A few prices;

1. Inner axle oil seal(Toyota) = R27 each.
2. Swivel hub seal kit = R 127 (to confirm price, this is the last price I got 2 months ago)

Multiply by 2 = R 308 for both sides. 2 pots of grease and patience and you are done.

Louis
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I don't see the need for replacing washers and spring clips unless you break / damage them. All you need is the seals. Gaskets can be re-used if not torn, perhaps with a little gasket cement.
However, if you open up and go through all the hassle, you might as well replace the bearings (Bearing Man) at the same time and be done. It should then still not be more than about 1.5K for the parts.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Andy, the only washer I ended up replacing was the claw washer.
This is the one that stops the nuts from loosening themselves and is most important. The reason for having to replace it is because you bend the tags over the nut and as we all know after bending a piece of metal for a while it will break.

Better safe then sorry, especially when it only costs R30.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Better safe then sorry, especially when it only costs R30
Fair enough. So what was your total spares cost? Did you do bearings as well?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

IIRC, it cost about R700. Way better than the cost of just the kit from the stealers and that includes grease, rags and plenty prepsol for cleaning.

That is excluding the bearings.
I checked my bearings and they were still fine, so I cleaned them and re-packed them.

When the hubs leak again, I will replace the bearings.

Return to “Useful Articles”