Some useful articles on doing it yourself
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Resistor Type Spark Plugs

Post by 3RZ »

I would recommend that you stay with resistor type spark plugs if specified by the manufacturer. It seems that the resistor inside the plug is used as part of the resistance of the driver circuit of the ECU in the newer ECU/EFI vehicles. (It was orginally introduced to suppress radio interference) Using non resistor plugs cause the drivers in the ECU to overheat and get damaged because of the lower resistance. This little lesson cost me R4400 compliments of Renault for a new ECU. I got the wrong alternative spark plug part no of a website and when the spares shop did not have the correct one's in stock used NGK BP6ES's instead of BKR6E or BKR6ES. An expensive mistake I will not make again.
Last edited by 3RZ on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

The Effect Of LPG On Spark Plugs

Post by 3RZ »

From the NGK website:

http://www.ngkspark.com.au/bulletin_index.htm

THE INFLUENCE OF LPG

An engine converted from petrol to L.P.G. (liquefied petroleum gas) will cause a change in the spark plug operating conditions. Therefore, some consideration should be made on the type of spark plug being installed.

As L.P.G. has different properties to petrol it influences the spark plug operating temperature and required voltage. The extent of this influence can be seen when comparisons are made on spark plugs which were fitted in an engine using L.P.G. and petrol.

Typical results are as follows :

1. Spark Plug Temperature

Temperatures are higher with L.P.G.
compared to petrol. This occurs due
to L.P.G.'s reduced cooling effect.

2. Spark Plug Required Voltage

Required voltage increases with L.P.G.
because of the difference in the bonding
of gas particles between the two fuels.

Recommendation

To eliminate the influence of L.P.G. and to obtain optimum spark plug performance, NGK recommends:

-The use of a spark plug with one heat range colder (if possible) than that listed in the catalogue: eg, BPR6EFS-13 (L.P.G.) instead of BPR5EFS-13 (petrol) for VN 6 Cylinder Commodore.

AND

-The reduction of the electrode gap by 0.1 mm (which lowers the spark plug required voltage)
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Spark Plug Heat Range

Post by 3RZ »

Here is an explanation of the spark plug heat range;

http://www.ngk.com/charglossary.asp?kw=Heat+range
chartheatratingflowpath-2.JPG
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Professor Grimsell's Teachings on Spark Plugs

Post by BenHur »

Willem

How about a list of recommended plugs per engine?
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Re: Professor Grimsell's Teachings on Spark Plugs

Post by Cookie Monster »

I second that Bennie 8)
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Ok, which engines are we talking about ?

4Y
22R
2RZ-FE
3RZ-FE
7MGE
7MGTE
2JZGTE
Lexus
1UZFE
2UZFE
3UZFE
4UZFE

Anybody want to add any others to the list ?
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

All the spark plug information you will ever need

Post by 3RZ »

Here is a link to all the spark plug information you will ever need all on one website.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

That would be a good start! :mrgreen:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

3Y should presumably be the same as the 4Y?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

BenHur wrote:Willem

How about a list of recommended plugs per engine?
So how about it then?
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Bennie I have been looking at this for a while now but there seems to be a lot of variables.

There are different versions and year models for the same engine with different plug specs..
Different countries use different plugs and I am getting conflicting information from different sites for the same engines.

I am a bit hesitant to generalise the spark plug spec for any given engine without having more details for the specific engine now that I have tried.

Still willing to assist anyone if they give me the info for their specific application.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Willem, the plug issue again.
I went to buy plugs today. The shop did not have any NGK's and offered me Champions. Only problem was that they did not have RC9YC which the book suggest, and gave me RC9YC4.
Any idea what the 4 is for? And NO, it only has one electrode.

It looks the same as the old lugs which was the normal RC9YC

I had to take it because down here I will only have plugs on Monday if they have to order it.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Another question:
Why do we have to replace the plugs? The old ones' electrodes are still as long as the new ones'. So I cannot see why one have to replace it. Can anything else go wrong. What will happen if you just reset the gap and put it back in?

I kept the plugs for spares for the next loooong trip. At R26 each one cannot just chuck it in the dustbin?
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I could not find much one these Champion plugs but at http://www.championsparkplugs.com/
I saw that at least the prescribed RC9YC and the RC9YC4 I received seems to have the same properties.
Both says: 14mm Thread, 19mm (3/4") Reach, 5/8" (16mm) Hex Size, Gasket Seat, Resistor','2','1')">Resistor, Copper Core, Projected Tip, Heat Range 9

If I look at Willem's original posts it seems like the Resistor and heat range values are important and in this case they are both the same according to above mentioned site. The only question now is "If they have the same properties why two different part numbers?"
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Piet al wat dit vir my lyk is dat gap uit die Fabriek groter is, die kommentaar wat ek ekstra sien op die RC9YC4 us dat dit 'n groter gap moet he om te voldoen aan die California emissions control. Die res is alles dieselfde.

Kyk bietjie hier http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp onder "Manufacturer's Numbering System"

Ek dink behalwe vir die fisiese sluitasie op die elektrode wat die tyd saam weg gevreet word gaan dit ook oor die aanpaksel op die porselein isolator wat met die tyd saam kan veroorsaak dat die vonk nie meer oor die gaping spring nie maar teen die porselein gedeelte afhardloop omdat die weerstand daar minder kan wees as oor die gaping.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Dankie Willem
Ek het sommer van die begin af die gaping op 1.2mm gestel soos jy aanbeveel het. Ek weet nou nie of dit die groter gaping is en of dit die ander vonkprop is nie, maar ek kan 'n baie groot verskil voel. Die engin tel sommer vinniger revolusies op en trek baie beter.

Jou veruidelikiing oor hoekom ons dit gereeld moet vervang; ek het nie eintlik aan die aanpaksel gedeelte gedink nie, maar dit maak baie sin.

Return to “Useful Articles”