Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Flying Lexus?

Post by Hoppy »

Look, Up in the Air, It May Be a Toyota

Will Toyota's next model have wings?

The Toyota Motor Corporation is considering entering the aircraft engine business and possibly making small planes as well, Hiroshi Okuda, its president, said today. But he also said there was no firm plan to do so.

Toyota and its American partner, Hamilton Standard, a United Technologies unit, received permission this week from the Federal Aviation Administration in Washington to manufacture an aircraft engine they have been jointly developing for many years. The reciprocating engine, which could power a four-seat propeller plane, is based on the four-liter V8 engine used in the luxury model of the Lexus car.

Kyodo news service, quoting unidentified industry officials, reported late Thursday that the auto producer would set up an American subsidiary, with an investment of nearly $1 billion, to make a four-seat aircraft to be sold under the Toyota brand.

But Mr. Okuda, in a brief phone conversation, said the company had ''no such plan'' now. Toyota, he said, would probably first go into the aircraft engine business, but even that was not definite.

A friend of mine found this published in the New York Times.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Gunta
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1996 80 series Land Cruiser VX 4500 EFI UK Import. Long range tank, Iron man suspension, ARB Bullbar, Front and rear diff locks, 33" BFG muds, Snorkel and attitude.

Re: Flying Lexus?

Post by Gunta »

I am not surprised since it is an awesome engine. :thumbup:
Worry about the things you can do something about, If you can't don't worry.
Live life to the fullest with no regrets.
ThatoMalato
Vehicle: Run X

Post by ThatoMalato »

Will it have a clutch problem? Sudden acceleration?
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

:think:I wonder if they going to put roofracks on SA's planes.Wasn't there talks about the Taxi Ass. going to start an airline :?: They can bring back the HI-ACE :mocking:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Post by jacques kotze »

Jy sal die Isuzu en Amarok manne hoor die eerste keer wat n Toyota vliegtuig val, Dae aan een!!!
ThatoMalato
Vehicle: Run X

Post by ThatoMalato »

The Taxi Association already had a successful maiden flight from Lanseria to the Eastern Cape, there was a slight overloading problem due to overbooking, but that was expected. ha ha!
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

HIACE's has been flying for years!
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

ThatoMalato wrote:The Taxi Association already had a successful maiden flight from Lanseria to the Eastern Cape, there was a slight overloading problem due to overbooking, but that was expected. ha ha!
The worst part is, Thato is not even joking. Santaco Airlines was launched at Lanseria on 16 Sept. Eish... I hope the pilot has a real licence and that it's not Johannes who tries to run me off the road every morning, but have been MIA for the last 3 weeks... :shock2:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)

Return to “Useful Articles”