Some useful articles on doing it yourself
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Diff-lock issues (vacuum actuated)

Post by King Rat »

Could be helpfull to someone, I took it off a Classic website I frequent with the authors permission:
My Ranger Supercab 2wd has this diff-lock, usually activated by a switch on the dash. This opens a solenoid which allows engine vacuum to a diaphragm on the diff rear cover which engages the diff-lock.

Mine started to engage itself the last couple weeks and then generally also refused to dis-engage. Usually you would switch it off and as soon as your forward speed gets to about 40kmh or so it lets go. I fiddled with the switch a couple times, had the vacuum pipe off couple times to check for unwanted vacuum etc. Never really got to the bottom of the problem as it seemed to "fix itself" after fiddling with everything for a while.

Friday it locked again, so I was determined to find the problem this weekend. Try and take a sharp turn or do a parking manouvre with this diff locked! People look at you funny too!

Long story short, I could not find any problem, the solenoid valve operated correctly, allowed vacuum to the back and blocked vacuum as it should when switched off etc. Diaphragm and return spring mechanism worked perfectly. So I was lying under the back busy blanking off the vacuum tube as a last resort fix, when my eye fell on the diff breather and I thought.....wonder if that is still OK. This is a nipple on the right hand diff pipe/tube with a long rubber hose that dissapears over the top of the fuel tank. Turns out this was blocked solid! I followed it to where it terminates just by the fuel filler cap. There it looks like someone had cut the pipe off wherever it was supposed to go and stuck a bolt in to cap it..... Dust and dirt had built up untill it eventually blocked completely.

With no-where to breath to, the diff then got pressurized at temperature and this pressure pushed against the inside of the vacuum diaphragm, thereby engaging the diff lock! No wonder I could not find anything wrong with the normal activation system. Once the diff cools (while I am fiddling to try and find the fault) the pressure drops/gets vented out and the lock releases again......
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Diff-lock issues (vacuum actuated)

Post by Mud Dog »

Interesting! An unusual fault, but it makes sense and something for us all to be aware of .... glad you found it! :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Dankie Coenie, dis iets om te onthou.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
leonvdv
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: Mazda

Post by leonvdv »

Hallo
Die rede vir jou difflock wat self in skop is omdat jou vent pyp is verstop ek dieselfde probleem ge had jy moet die vent pyp volg tot waar hy endig dit is by brandstof pyp bo die agter wiel. Dit is 'n baie swak onwerp. die vervaardigers het dit 'n bietjie beter gemaak op die nuwer modelle. jy moet hom maar gereeld skoon maak.
Ek hoop hiedie sal help
Groete
leon

Return to “Useful Articles”