Headgasket Change

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Umvubu
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lydenburg
Vehicle: Hilux D/C 4Y & Hilux S/C 2.4D & Musso 602EL

Headgasket Change

Post by Umvubu »

Is dit nodig dat ek my head laat "skim" wanneer ek my h/g vervang ? :?: Dit lyk vir my deesdae as 'n mens so deur die nuwe topics kyk dat h/g & hitte probleme 'n gereelde probleem word op ons Hilux'e.
Ek gaan my h/g ,ringe en bigend bearings vervang- hopelik is my water probleme en olie verbruik in die verlede. Het ook my radiator by Silverton gaan afgee om nagegaan te word.

Ek haat dit as my droom voertuig my probleme gee. :evil:
1993 Hilux 2.4D S/C - 31" Khumo Muds , Lockers F/R , OME Suspension , Snorkel , Extended Shackles etc
1996 Ssanyong Musso 602EL - OME Suspension
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Headgasket Change

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Umvubu,

Hang in there, I have just done what you are about to do...

I replaced big end bearings and rings - make sure you get a quality set of rings with a chrome top ring and cast iron second ring, the cast iron ring aids greatly in sealing and seating of the rings - have the ring end gap measured to check if they are still within spec and make sure that the bore is still serviceable, else you will have to get the block rebored oversize(and buy oversized pistons), or have the block sleeved(may be able to use original pistons).

- If you are going to all the trouble of stripping the motor definitely have the head skimmed, imagine doing this whole rebuild only to find out that the head is leaking again, it may be worth it to have the block surface checked as well. If you can afford to, get the original import head gasket(R600), else use a Payen which also good quality.

When I originally had my motor rebuilt I also sent the radiator in for a clean, I was told that it was 50% blocked, even though I didn't really experience over heating issues, until it choked and blew the hg.

I have only done 150km's so far since the rebuild, but already this engine is much happier than before!!!

B
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Headgasket Change

Post by Mr_B »

Oh yes, what problems are you experiencing with water? Take it the water is disappearing out the radiator?? I would consider having the head and block pressure tested, to make sure there are no cracks, if they do find cracks then at least it can be repaired before you rebuild the engine.

B

Return to “The Workshop”