Hilux no 4x4 working

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bradmclaren
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London
Vehicle: hilux 2.5 d4d 4x4 double cab

Hilux no 4x4 working

Post by Bradmclaren »

Hi all.
My toyota hilux 2006 4x4 2.5 d4d is giving me grey hairs.

So a bit of history leading to this find.

February the vehicle went in for a flashing 4x4 light (the little one with the wheels turned). 4x4 was still working even with this flashing light story. Got it back light was off. Was told a switch on the box was changed. Cool...
Next day had front diff oil seals done, cv boots replaced and new sideshafts fitted. All good.

To my mistake I never tested the 4x4 after this. Before the services it was working.

Fast forward to July the light starts flashing again randomly in the traffic not touching the 4x4 at all.
When I got home I engaged 4x4 and nothing happened.

So jacked the back diff up so the wheels where off the ground. Engage 4x4 1st gear clutch out. Front wheels dont pull the trolley only back wheels turn.
Low range engaged same story. If I'm in low and push the read diff lock i hear it click in so back lock is working. I had a look and the front driveshaft is turning but nothing to the wheels.

Check all the fuses under the dash passenger side. All good. Relay clicks.
Trace all the wires no breaks all looks good.

Where do I go from here. Iv disconnected the front actuator plug what pin do I test to see power? As currently I dont see any 12v on and pin...
Could it be a switch on the box? If so that one do I check?

Thanks guys please any assistance will help.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux no 4x4 working

Post by Mud Dog »

Take it to Dylan at Alex Motors (old Cambridge goods sheds area). He had one of those models himself and knows them pretty well.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
khanmozee5
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 2006 Toyota hilux double cab 4l V6

Post by khanmozee5 »

I’m having the exact same issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The later models that have electric engagement make use of an ADD (Automatic Diff De-coupler) on the front diff. The problem you're having is usually a poor connection or the ADD unit is gummed up. Cleaning up the connections would be the first thing to check and at the same time to verify that there is power coming though when the 4x4 switch is activated (if no power then it could be the switch itself but this is a less likely scenario).

If that's all good then remove the ADD unit, strip and clean, lube and re-fit.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
khanmozee5
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 2006 Toyota hilux double cab 4l V6

Post by khanmozee5 »

Ok shot I’m going to give that a try boet thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Workshop”