Suspension

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Paterdale
Town: Maryport
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: No

Suspension

Post by Paterdale »

My 2015 invincible is lop sided put new leaf-springs on( not toyota's own) still a little bit lop sided.Vehicle used only to carry firewood.
Paterdale
Town: Maryport
Club VHF Licence: No

Re: Suspension

Post by Paterdale »

My2015invicible is lower on the passenger side rear back tyre ,put new leaf springs on.Vehicle has been used to carry wood does anybody know how to give me a bit of advice , how to rectify the suspension to get the back end level
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds like it's the rear springs from what you're saying but also bear in mind that if the front springs are unevenly sprung then the rear will also be out. You can check and eliminate that possibility by jacking up the rear ... must be a central jacking point like the diff. If the front stands level then you know for sure it's the rear leaf packs.

Simplest would be to replace them. You could have them "re-tensioned" but I'm not a fan of that idea because I've never heard of a truly successful result ..... they almost always sag back again, sometimes worse than before, and often within a year.

Otherwise take them out yourself (mark them left and right before hand) and lay them side by side so that you can see how much the one has sagged. Split the pack and re-shape each blade cold. You can try by beating with a heavy hammer (tedious and slow), but the best way is to use an hydraulic press ... both methods are done cold, no heat. Once the curvature of each blade matches the curvature of the 'good' leaf pack, reassemble the pack and re-fit them both. That should sort it for a good many years ..... I did a front leaf pack on one of my SFA's about 7 yrs ago with a press and it still stands level today.

Good luck, :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Found my old write-up here ...... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28052&p=331711
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town

Post by Tim86 »

I took Andy's lead:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44357

Return to “The Workshop”