22R starter motor needs help

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
geoff.nell
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1995 2.4 hilux

22R starter motor needs help

Post by geoff.nell »

hi all
1995 single cab hilux raider 22R engine

Mostly the starter motor works just fine.
Intermittently I will turn the key and there is a click, the dash lights dim, but no crank.

Ask the wife to help, then while she is turning the key, I tap the starter motor with a small hammer and there she goes - it cranks and fires.
Or if it is possible to move the car just a bit, while turning the key and just a touch of clutch, the starter will crank.

Now either of these methods is not ideal at a lion sighting in the Kgalagadi, is it?

I have the starter motor out now, is this something I can fix or where do I take it to be fixed, or must it be replaced?
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: 22R starter motor needs help

Post by Tim86 »

Hi Geoff
I had the same scenario. The power for the solenoid runs through the key barrel, and the contacts in the barrel wear out and don't allow enough current through to enable the solenoid to function properly, hence the click sound. The tap of the hammer jiggles the solenoid and bendix just enough to let the bendix slide into the fully engaged position with the flywheel teeth. Instead of trying to fit a new barrel, install a relay that runs off the ignition key wires and connects good power straight from the battery to the solenoid.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Hi Tim, I respectfully disagree with you. While possible that it is the ignition, the more likely cause is worn or pitted contacts on the solenoid itself. The banging on the starter allows contact and it starts. This is a common problem on old starters and is really easy to fix by opening and cleaning the contacts and side walls. At the worst, rebuild kits are readily and cheaply available at Midas type outlets. Geoff, try this 1st, the most difficult part is taking the starter out, the rest is easy, peasy.
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Sure thing, merely my experience with the problem I had, however, the solenoid seems to more commonly be the problem.
A link to my thread on it:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43838

Geoff if you need a replacement solenoid I have one brand new in the box.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

I'm going with the starter solenoid is dying. The ignition should be via a relay as stock surely?
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2011 Raider 4x4 Double cab 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Post by Hilux 1 »

you can alway contact Cliffie Hesterman at Condiesel in Epping for some advice. otherwise try Ivan at ICM autoparts, both very Knowledgable

Return to “The Workshop”