1995 SFA single cab raider 22R petrol engine water crossing misfire issue

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
geoff.nell
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1995 2.4 hilux

1995 SFA single cab raider 22R petrol engine water crossing misfire issue

Post by geoff.nell »

hi guys
I have this issue and I cannot remember when it started, possibly after I replaced spark plug leads but I don't think so - see below....

When doing a shallow water crossing and causing enough splash to wash the wheel wells but not enough to wet the windscreen (hope that describes it), she misfires and stutters, but then IMMEDIATELY comes right once the splashing stops.

She does this every time.
So at home I got her running on the manual throttle at 1.5-2K revs and used a hosepipe to THOUROUGHLY spray the entire engine compartment, and she did not miss a beat. Now I am confused.

I am so worried that when I do a deeper water crossing she will die in the middle.

Anybody experienced this or have an idea for me to find this issue?

This is a new thing, I have done many water crossings with no issue, shallow and deep, fast and slow, even with water over the bonnet.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 1995 SFA single cab raider 22R petrol engine water crossing misfire issue

Post by Mud Dog »

That's very strange indeed. Issues like that are normally attributed to HT electrical leakage (plugs, leads, dizzy and coil) but could also be the normal 12V supply to the coil as well.

Maybe try spraying from underneath with the hose instead of from the top.

What's the condition of the air-box and the water drainage valve? When last did you check the air filter element? Just thinking that it might not even be an electrical issue but one of water ingestion somehow. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”