Inlet/Exhaust manifold 4Y

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
ChrisBNZ
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 1987 Hilux 2.2 L Double-cab

Inlet/Exhaust manifold 4Y

Post by ChrisBNZ »

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time posting so apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

My '87 hilux failed its warrant on a leak from the exhaust manifold, the mechanic seems to think the manifold is warped rather than the manifold gasket being shot. So my options are to either get the thing resurfaced or try and source a replacement. I have never seen an inlet and exhaust manifold sandwiched together before like they are on the 4y so I didn't try and dive in

I have tried to do my own research, but I can't seem to find any videos or in depth write ups on this, and being relatively new to the world of tinkering I thought I would pick your brains.

Will I have to drain the block of coolant before removing the manifold? and any tips for getting the mating surfaces super clean, without risking getting anything into the open ports solvents etc.. ive been soaking the nuts daily with penetrant because they look suuuper hard to remove, would it be ok to use a torch to heat the nuts or am I risking warping the manifold further?

If I were to source a new inlet/exhaust manifold assembly, any reputable sites I should know about?

any other tips you guys have for this would be super appreciated, i've literally just bought the haynes manual but estimated delivery time is 10 days away and I want to get stuck in this weekend.

Cheers,
Chris
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Inlet/Exhaust manifold 4Y

Post by Family_Dog »

I have uploaded something that might assist you, please download the following file (43Mb):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wf03zokccan0 ... l.zip?dl=0

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “The Workshop”