D4D auto not engaging overdrive sometimes

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Africansafarifilms
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux

D4D auto not engaging overdrive sometimes

Post by Africansafarifilms »

Hi all

i have a 2009 D4D 3L DC 4x4. Had the auto box done about 8000km ago and running great. Also just did the injectors. Issue I am having is as soon as I got it back from the injector guys I drove home, no issues. Next morning left the farm and bakkie did not go into overdrive. Also saw that at the same time the cruise control button did not work.

went to town, after a few stops I checked the cruise button and it worked and so did the overdrive all of a sudden.
I went straight to my mechanic and did a diagnostic on with no issues found.

I have the vehicle for a week with no issues and this morning leaving the farm which was a bit muddy the Bakkie did it again.
As soon as I left the house I checked the cruise control button and it worked but on the drive the back and all of a sudden did not work and neither did the overdrive.

So I am pretty sure the cruise control is linked to the Gearbox.

Any ideas how I find a fault and where to start looking
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: D4D auto not engaging overdrive sometimes

Post by Mars »

I would start with the basics. Check if all the electrical connectors to the gearbox are properly connected. It seems as if the issues comes and goes with either vibration or ingress of moisture. Also check if any of the wiring going to the gearbox is damaged or even if the sleeving of the wiring is damaged.

Return to “The Workshop”