Noise after clutch accumulator delete

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
curryitr
Town: Chimoio
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Hilux D4D

Noise after clutch accumulator delete

Post by curryitr »

Hello,

I didn’t like the way our Hilux was shifting and after doing some reading found that they are fitted with the clutch accumulator or clutch delay valve. I’m used to driving older vehicles and this Hilux is annoying because sometimes the clutch slips when I am shifting gears even though I have completely let out the pedal before accelerating. Other times the gears grind during a fast shift even though the pedal is depressed all the way to the floor.

Yesterday I decided to flare some new brake line to bypass the clutch accumulator on the firewall. The clutch is much more responsive now, following what my foot is wanting it to do, but I have noticed an odd sound and vibration that wasn’t there before. It almost reminds me of a worn throughout bearing or input shaft bearing. It makes the noise as the clutch disengages or engages gears. It’s much more noticeable shifting between 2-3-4. The noise is like a low growl and I can feel it in the clutch pedal.

Should I return the car to stock and use the clutch accumulator and just deal with it? I don’t want to damage anything running without the accumulator, but if what I’m experiencing is vibration and noise that won’t be detrimental to the truck I can live with that.

Thanks,

Ryan
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Noise after clutch accumulator delete

Post by Mars »

Which model Hilux do you own? How many miles have you done on that clutch?

The accumulator, on the D4D that I had, does not have any valves or mechanism restricting the flow of brake fluid. Nor does it have any moving parts. It merely provides an additional volume of brake fluid between the clutch master and slave cylinders. It predominantly has a damping function. That is why you are now feeling more vibration being transmitted to the clutch pedal. I would look at the master and slave cylinder to see if there are any issues there. The master being the more likely culprit. Are you able to bleed the system properly or are you struggling?

Another issue could be that the clutch and/or pressure plates are worn.
curryitr
Town: Chimoio
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Hilux D4D

Re: Noise after clutch accumulator delete

Post by curryitr »

It’s a 2013 Hilux D4D 3.0 double cab. As I’ve driven it more this week I noticed that it starts to become more audible as the truck is warmed up. I’m starting to think more along the lines of the throwout bearing being worn and I just wasn’t feeling it before. I’m not sure why it would be more audible now without the accumulator.

I guess it’s possible that it’s in my head but it does feel like the RPMs fall more quickly and the clutch engages quicker during shifts. That is why I thought this had some sort of restricting valve in it.

Return to “The Workshop”