D4D Radio Dimming during the day

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
MLM
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4

D4D Radio Dimming during the day

Post by MLM »

Hi everyone.

I have a 2011 Toyota Hilux DVD 4x4. I have a question on radio display brightness please. My radio display dims to an almost unreadable level during the day whenever the headlights are turned on.

I've seen suggestions to disable this dimming via "Day mode" under Settings -> General under the radio's options, but I'm not finding this option, doesn't matter how I toggle the headlights and/or the dashboard dimming button.

Is this option simply not available in my model, or is there something else that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: D4D Radio Dimming during the day

Post by niclemaitre »

One way would be to pull the radio, and remove the "illumination signal" wire from the radio, but then you'll have the inverse problem, with the radio being bright during the day
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I don’t know that model radio. If it does not, I would suggest a “spin” on Nic’s solution. Interrupting the “illumination signal” wire with a switch, that can be mounted in one of the many slots provided, would work nicely. Simply cut the wire and extend the ends with suitable wire to where you need it. You can get switches from the 4x4 places that are designed to fit perfectly into those switch blanks. Something like this.

https://4x4direct.co.za/switches/6804-b ... yotas.html
MLM
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2011 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4

Post by MLM »

Thank you both for the feedback appreciate it, and apologies for my late reply. I think I'll pop into a radio installer and have this option looked at - I don't mind the unit permanently showing as bright. Cheers!

Return to “The Workshop”