VALVE STEM SEALS TO BE REPLACED

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
hiluxgreenland
Town: nuuk
Vehicle: ln105

VALVE STEM SEALS TO BE REPLACED

Post by hiluxgreenland »

Hello everyone,

first of all i have an 1994 toyota hilux with an 2L engine.
my problem is when i do a cold start the engine idles rought and smoking grey smoke for 3-5 seconds after this everything runs well.
i recently bought new valve stem seals and did some research of how to replace on this engine but it seems there is not much out there on how-to-do.
so couple of days ago i tried disassembling the valve cover and all of this but were unsure how to take off the camshaft, since there is no valve lifters on this engine so i had to reassemble the engine again without replacing the valve stem valves :thumbdown:
has anyone here been replacing the valve stem seals?

also i noticed there is some oil sludge build up in the valve cover and on the camshaft bearings, is it really safe to flush the engine with some diesel in the system before filling the engine with new oil?
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: VALVE STEM SEALS TO BE REPLACED

Post by niclemaitre »

I had mine done on my previous bakkie but it was done while the head was off to have the head gasket replaced
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Hello Qillaq
I am not sure about the diesel flush. Hopefully one of the more experienced guys could provide feedback on that. A good idea is to open the sump though, there may be sludge in there as well. Clean the oil pick up in the sump also. Use a good quality oil in future.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I think you will have to remove the head to replace the valve stem seals.

DO NOT flush the engine with diesel. If you flush you will get some of the sludge off successfully, but then those hard sludge particles will end up in your bearings which will lead to bearing failure. Flushing is a bad idea.

Look at this video and you will see where the valve stem seals are located

https://youtu.be/H5NIJh08Jp0?t=62
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “The Workshop”