LN65 Hilux Brake Master Cylinder HELP!!!

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: lusaka
Vehicle: toyota hilux ln65 4x4 dlx s/c

LN65 Hilux Brake Master Cylinder HELP!!!

Post by faiyaz »

Hi all, I'm in a bit of a pickle with my Hilux. A week back the master cylinder was leaking from the back. So I removed it and fitted a rebuilt unit, bled the brake system on all 4 wheels and tested the brake. When you initially press the pedal the brakes are hard like they supposed to be. However if your foot remains on the pedal, the pedal begins to sink down slowly. I changed the master cylinder and fitted a brand new unit. Had the same problem!! Decided to buy yet another master cylinder, same problem!! I've bleed the brakes and no more air comes out when I crack open the bleeders. On further inspection I noticed when the pedal sinks down, the back wheels are not holding. I've adjusted the back wheels but this did not make a difference. This problem is driving me crazy!! Any suggestions or experiences with such are welcome. Previously I changed all the flexible brake hoses with braided stainless steel ones and fitted a new load sensing valve (From China).
hilux raider ln65 4x4 s/c
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: LN65 Hilux Brake Master Cylinder HELP!!!

Post by Tim86 »

I would start by doing some research on the load sensing system. If it runs a return then possibly all the pressure is being released by the new cheapie valve or something along those lines. Just a thought. Find the diagram for it in the manual on this site.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

A friend of mine had the same problem. At the end of the day the problem was that the brake system was not properly bleeded. Make quite sure that there is no air in the system. Start bleeding at the left rear wheel then the load sensor then right rear wheel,next front left wheel and final right front wheel. Keep brake master resorvoir full while bleeding system.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

An Update! :

Finally got the brake pedal firm as it should be, after trying 3 master cylinders!! :crazy: :crazy: It was the cheap aftermarket Load Sensing Valve (LSPV) !! It has a return going to the front brakes. The valve was allowing all the brake fluid to the front instead of proportioning the fluid based on the load. The brake master cylinder has 2 outlets and 2 pistons within the bore. As you press the pedal the first piston gets pushed and sends fluid to the rear, once ample pressure is built up the second piston begins to move, sending fluid to the front brakes. Brake fluid being pushed out by the first piston was returning back into the master cylinder via outlet hole connected to the front brakes.

Decided to open the LSPV and was shocked to find there was no actual piston inside that would regulate fluid to the front brakes. Below is a pic comparing an original unit (left) to the one I had fitted off Aliexpress.
IMG_20210718_164139.jpg
For now I've fitted second hand valve. Not sure how long it will last, genuine unit seems to be costly around $200 :shock: I guess eventually I'll have to bite the bullet and buy one, sadly no kits are available from Toyota :think: . Decided to give a detailed explanation just incase anyone is facing the same problem. Brakes are great now!! :cooldude:
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

Tim86 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:37 am I would start by doing some research on the load sensing system. If it runs a return then possibly all the pressure is being released by the new cheapie valve or something along those lines. Just a thought. Find the diagram for it in the manual on this site.
Thanks for the suggestion!! :thumbup:
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Well it's great that Faiyaz is sorted out.
While on the subject of brakes, the equalizer on mine is leaking some fluid onto the shock. The wheel alignment guy brought it to my attention. I took in in to a brake centre, they kind of confirmed that it needs to be replaced but was surprised that there is no loss of pedal pressure. Any views on that?
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

The leak is probably very slow/little. So you don't notice the loss in pressure. Just a guess haha
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Thinking about it, the brake fluid level did dropped very slow. Probably need to replace before I have a brake failure.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
faiyaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by faiyaz »

yh thats a good idea. try by all means to get a genuine unit

Return to “The Workshop”