Gear selection problem

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Beast73
Town: Kei Mouth
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Gear selection problem

Post by Beast73 »

Good day
I have an Toyota 1989 4x4 2.2 and I replaced the clutch and am still struggling to get gears, the master and slave was replaced but no success
Please assist
:beg:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Gear selection problem

Post by pietpetoors »

I replaced my slafe a while ago and it did not want to work. When bleeding I pressed the pedal in slowly, then keep it down for a couple of seconds, release and press in slowly again. Only after about 15 times doing this the pressure started to build up.

When bleeding with the normal pumping action it did not work.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

Beast73 wrote:Good day
I have an Toyota 1989 4x4 2.2 and I replaced the clutch and am still struggling to get gears, the master and slave was replaced but no success
Please assist
:beg:
Is the fork straight.

Does is also struggle to find gears with the engine switched off when it's stationary?

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

:thumbup:
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

sometimes extending the slave push rod does help buy just cutting a blot about 10mm longer then round it off both ends and try.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Hi Riaan
There could be many problems to that. It will be about trial and error.
Make sure that the correct gear oil is used as well as there is no history provided for the vehicle.
EP 90 GL has been discontinued and many people suggest wrong oils including the agents. The later model use different oils. The equivalent I found – Shell Spirax S2 G 80W-90 GL5 – API GL4
Transmission uses about 3.9L and transfer 1.6L – total 5.5 liters
If you are changing the oils, I suggest to let the oil drain overnight for the last drop to drain.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.

Return to “The Workshop”