Loss of power on 4y

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
alexth
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux DC 4x4

Loss of power on 4y

Post by alexth »

Hi all. So I had my head done by Allen Venter of Allbilt at about 303000km. Im now on 312000km. Despite numerous issues along the way, it finally started running quite well about 5000km ago. Then last week.....major overheating, it chucked most of the coolant out and I panicked. Could not find any obvious head gasket issues, no white smoke on start up, oil still black etc. I then did a radiator flush and chucked in a bottle of Blue Devil head gasket sealer. Did it all according to instruction. 2 days later I did a trip to the Cedarberg from Fish Hoek, a total of 600km with lots of mountain passes etc. No overheating or water/coolant loss BUT now I've lost a LOT of power. Really struggled up hills, using 2nd where I would normally do 3rd easily etc. Even on the flat in top, if you floor it there is no urgency at all, which I did have before all this. Any ideas what I should look for? There is no surging, so does not seem to be a fuel problem. Checked the leads and seem ok too. Thanks
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Loss of power on 4y

Post by The Legend »

Did the the rings not get damage due to engine overheated? Did you check the oil? Is it not using more oil than before? I have an completely overhauled original 4y head should you need one.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
alexth
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux DC 4x4

Re: Loss of power on 4y

Post by alexth »

Can't comment on rings but it used no oil or water in 600km of serious mountain passes. A little while after start up today, there was a watery black substance coming out the exhaust which then stopped again. This could just be deposit or a combustion issue? Or maybe timing or the carb?

Return to “The Workshop”