Hilux 4x4 DC d4d unexplained vibration

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Hilux 4x4 DC d4d unexplained vibration

Post by pampoen »

Hi guys
So I need your input here. My hilux vigo 2011 4x4 dc has developed a bad vibration over 90km the vehicle has 220000km on the clock and has been looked after.

The vibration manifests like an off balance propshaft.

Here are the things weve tried, I live in Strand area in the Western Cape and we recently took it to a place called Riaans wheel allignment, the guy knows his stuff and has very good google reviews. Both he and myself on seperate occasions did the following.

removed prop shaft and drove in front wheel drive.
removed front prop and drove in rear wheel drive.
removed both front cv joints to see if it would change.
took wheels and tyres and swapped with 2 seperate toyotas
checked wheel bearings

Weve pretty much narrowed it down to gearbox, transfer box and Riaan says engine although I have my doubts.

So I'm going to you guys to seek some advice, I have been advised to go to auto*** a place here in Strand and
they apparently say that the transfer case uses a chain that may be the source of the issue. I am a bit stumped with this one too be honest and Riaan is too, a man with over 30 years experience in the automotive field.

Any other vigo d4d okes out there with this issue?
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Re: Hilux 4x4 DC d4d unexplained vibration

Post by pampoen »

Just an update. I adjusted my roofrack a little too high and the wind deflector was funneling wind through underneath the rack and causing a heck of a racket! Like it felt like the bakkie was going to fall apart that's how hectic it was. So I readjusted the rack closer to the roof and voila, no more vibration!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

OK... that must be the most unique cure for unwanted vibration that I had ever heard of, I also imagined it to be in the drive train, most likely the propshaft centre bearing!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

Family_Dog wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:01 am OK... that must be the most unique cure for unwanted vibration that I had ever heard of, I also imagined it to be in the drive train, most likely the propshaft centre bearing!

-F_D
I agree! Absolutely the thing that I thought it was not! :tease: :tease: It had 4 mechanics with hundreds of service years between them absolutely flummoxed and all it took was one phone call to someone who clearly was some sort of mechanical God because he hit the nail on the head within minutes of hearing the story over the phone.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

This is very interesting. So who realised it was the roof rack?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

Thanks for this post. Makes one realise about thinking out of the box when troubleshooting
Real drivers use three pedals
Pumba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC112

Post by Pumba »

Interesting to see this post and I'n glad yours are sorted...

I also have a vibration on my 2010 auto Lux with a vibration almost exactly as you describe it but I don't have a roof rack or even a canopy on...

I've replaced rims, tyres, shocks and even the whole suspension earlier this year, but it stays. Lately, I noticed when driving in town around 60km/h that there is a slight vibration that comes and goes at varying speeds while driving around 60km/h. Sometimes it lasts for some time and other times it disappears quickly. Sometimes it's worse while accelerating and other times it's not.

I had the prop and all the rubbers, universals and mounting brackets checked out but no solution yet... Can the auto box cause something like that? Drives fabulously otherwise

So if there is any wisdom out there, I would appreciate your input.

Ps, I can say that after the suspension replacement the shaking between 90 and 110 feels better
Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it." Mark 10:27(Message)

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Kobus. Yeah, those are the obvious and first things to have checked out. I would also have a second opinion on the drive shafts ... (some guys are not too thorough or could have even missed something) ... paying attention to excessive play on the centre carrier bearing, the slip-joints on both props, the universals / double cardans on both props, the pinion bearings on both diffs and the x-fer box output shaft bearings front and back.

Then to check both the gearbox and the engine mountings.

Then there are those obscure causes like the one described above that can be a real bugger to locate. Check that the radiator fan has no play and that there are no chips out of any of the blades ... can cause a harmonic vibration.

Good luck and hope you find the cause sooner than later. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Pumba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Pumba »

Thanks for the reply.

Dood, I will start with that second opinion then...

Any recommendations for someone in the Northern suburbs that can assist me with what you discribe?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Jesus was blunt: "No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself. Every chance in the world if you let God do it." Mark 10:27(Message)

pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

Pumba, if you still do not come right then take the bakkie to Riaan's Wheel alignment, Its a bit far out in Somerset West but they are really really thorough, otherwise I am sure Hoppy in Bellville area may be able to take a look for you.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by pampoen »

pietpetoors wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:20 pm This is very interesting. So who realised it was the roof rack?
The owner of a propshaft balancing business here in Somerset West phoned an old work mate of his and the guy asked if it was the roof rack, both of us were pretty gobsmacked.
Pumba
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Pumba »

pampoen wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:11 am Pumba, if you still do not come right then take the bakkie to Riaan's Wheel alignment, Its a bit far out in Somerset West but they are really really thorough, otherwise I am sure Hoppy in Bellville area may be able to take a look for you.
Thanks. I will see if there is something closer to home first. Otherwise I will make contact with him when I drive out that way sometime.

Return to “The Workshop”