2012 Auto Hilux gear shift stiff

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Swampy
Town: Swansea
Vehicle: Hilux auto 2012

2012 Auto Hilux gear shift stiff

Post by Swampy »

Hi all I’ve owned my hilux from new so I know her inside out (no abuse)
Last year my gear shift started to get stiff to the point where it would not send a signal to the dash to light up the various selections. The actual operation of the gearbox was fine however the selection got worse so I had a new cable fitted which I greased up. This seemed to sort the problem out so I put it down to water ingress and dirt into the cable.
This was over the winter months cold etc. One year on and I’ve got exactly the same problem at the same time of year I’ve only done 10,000 miles on this cable and yet again gear shift stiffening up but gearbox operation normal
Does anyone have any idea ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers Swampy Uk
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: 2012 Auto Hilux gear shift stiff

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

Most members here are from South Africa and we do not have winters like you guys in the northern hemisphere - we seldom see temperatures below freezing point!

Since we seldom have snow, we don't get salt on our roads, thus we have way less corrosion that you guys have to deal with - here most 40 year old Hiluxes have very little rust(inland vehicles).

Chances are very slim that someone on this forum has encountered the same problem but maybe you might be lucky with an answer.

If possible, we'd appreciate nice pictures of your truck and maybe some of your area?

Regards
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Swampy
Town: Swansea
Vehicle: Hilux auto 2012

Re: 2012 Auto Hilux gear shift stiff

Post by Swampy »

Cheers Thabo
Yes Winters here are harsh at time so temperature has risen to 8 degrees from minus 5 and gues what the gear shift has loosened off so I recon I’m getting water in somewhere😩😩
We have a house in the garden route where we have been going for 10 years avoiding the winter COVID has put a stop to it.
We’ve got a fortuner in the garage 2014 auto so I’ll be keeping my eye on the furum
The hilux has plenty of MODS pics to follow
Thanks for the warm welcome 👍👍

Return to “The Workshop”