BFG's for a BFG

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Harry ffrench
Town: Stroud
Vehicle: Mk5 Hilux D4D

BFG's for a BFG

Post by Harry ffrench »

Very proud owner of a new old Hilux, the truck I've always loved & wanted !
Bought for work use as an arborist, came with a modified tub, aluminium drop sides and tipper ram 🤙🏼

I have a 54 plate single cab D4D Mk 5

My first port of call is WHEELS. Currently riding on 205/80/R16...not ideal for my off-road needs.
So;
What i have scoped out are a set of 31/10.5/R15 (imperial, metric, imperial etc 🤮) BFG all terrain ko2's and to pair with these a set of 15" x 7" Tuff Torque steels.

My question to you knowledgeable lot is, in your experience(s),
1) do tyres of this spec & ratio "fit" without impacting mud guards etc etc
2) do 7" inch width rims work for these tyres....I've been doing research and extremely confusingly have been informed both that they definitely will & will not fit together.
3) and any other comments & suggestions re tyres, rims wheels overall etc etc please do let me know.
Newbie here looking for a little guidance.

Many thanks in advance
Chops
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C

Re: BFG's for a BFG

Post by Chops »

Welcome Harry.

From which country are you?

Would you mind posting a few pictures of your pride and joy?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
Harry ffrench

Post by Harry ffrench »

I'm from the UK Chops. Cotswolds bred.
Attachments
20201020_084054.jpg
20201017_145144.jpg
20201212_103800.jpg
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Harry.

The tyres should fit without fouling on the standard off-set rims. The question is how much further out the replacement rims will sit. The rear is not a problem, it's the front that will be the issue - with a wider off-set the outer arc of the wheel on turns will be bigger and that's where it might foul against the body work.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Harry ffrench

Post by Harry ffrench »

Thank you Mud Dog.

Excuse my ignorance, but am I right in saying you're essentially suggesting that the 15x7" replacement rims im suggesting on using might be too wide ?

Folks out there with a Mk 5, if you have put on off-road / all terrain tyres, which did you go for and on what wheels ?

Ideally I'd like to avoid investing £800 on new wheels that don't fit 😅
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

Harry ffrench wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:28 pm Thank you Mud Dog.

Excuse my ignorance, but am I right in saying you're essentially suggesting that the 15x7" replacement rims im suggesting on using might be too wide ?

Folks out there with a Mk 5, if you have put on off-road / all terrain tyres, which did you go for and on what wheels ?

Ideally I'd like to avoid investing £800 on new wheels that don't fit 😅
Hi Harry,

Mud Dog was saying that the important factor to take into consideration when determining whether a wider rim width will fit a vehicle is also the rim offset (or Backspacing). That is the ratio of where the mounting flange is located in relation to the width of the rim. If it is in the centre, it would be zero offset. If located deeper into the rim, it would be a negative offset (making the wheel protrude) or if it was toward the outside face of the rim it would be a positive offset (Making the wheel recessed). the below artwork shows it nicely. Any variation from factory standard could determine whether the rim fouls on any component when turning full lock in either direction.
EDUwheel_offset_v1_001.jpg
The 7" rim probably "should" be fine with the 31" x 10.5' x 15" (265 x 75 x 15) tyres. Currently I'm running 285 x 75 x 16 on an 8" wide rim on a Land Cruiser. The below chart should help you.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-23 at 14.38.30.jpeg
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

31's has a 7.3% larger circumference and diameter and are 29.6% wider. The 205's are 28.9 inches high vs, you guessed it, 31 inches!

205's does 698 revolutions per mile vs 651 of 31's.

Wider and bigger circumference will make it seems that your truck is heavier on fuel but if you calculate the change in circumference in, it should be roughly the same.

Have you perhaps considered keeping the 16 inch rims and get some 235/85/16 tyres? Then you have a 31.7 inch tyre which is 12.9% wider and 8.8% larger circumference.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Pity we in South Africa suck on the hind tit - we still had the Mk5 with Kzte engines! D4D was only available from late 2005 in the Vigo(Mk6) models. Same with the Prado - Our 120's had Kzte's and 150's D4D's. 150's Only got GD engines this year!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

I've got the same era Hilux with 31s but running the standard mag rims that came with the vehicle. No issues with fouling.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"

Return to “The Workshop”